FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

FIFA 2014 World Cup all-purpose thread

Sending a 20 year old kid who speaks no italian to Italy is a potentially career changing move. He shouldn't be going to Roma solely because they are a Champions League squad. He needs to go somewhere that will help his development. Staying with Seattle will allow him to further develop. We have 4 years until the next World Cup.
I understand its a career changing move and he should only go where he is going to play. Italian is very similar to Spanish I took 2 semesters of Italian at SU it wasn't hard to learn. I am sure Yedlin chose Roma over European clubs I just wish he would go over their after the MLS. The owner of Roma is from Boston that is why Roma is playing Liverpool at Fenway Park in a couple of weeks.

Sometimes Its addition by subtraction. France looked like a much better team without Ribery as well.
France looked good without Nasir and Ribery but I bet they would have loved one of them against Germany. Prolly Ribery since he plays in Germany with Bayern Munich.

France looked good without Nasir and Ribery but I bet they would have loved one of them against Germany. Prolly Ribery since he plays in Germany with Bayern Munich.
Ribery has been injured and off-form this year. Wasn't great during the second half of the season and was absolutely horrible during the debacle against Real Madrid. Ended up being replaced often and could find himself on the bench next year with the emergence of Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg who started the DFB Pokalfinale in our last game.

Alexis Sanchez is apparently snubbing Liverpool for Arsenal. Ashley Cole is looking at Roma or Liverpool and Cole has been offered 3 yrs by Roma What are they thinking there. Green to Tottenham looks good as well.

Huh... he's much more likable than he used to be. You'd need to see his interviews on Dutch TV to appreciate that. Every time he went down against Costa Rica was as a result of contact. I saw lots of other players go down yesterday who weren't even touched.

Robben is a great player but he is guilty until proven innocent when it comes to going down on contact, IMHO. He's one of the all-time great floppers in the last third (to his credit, he plays more straight up on other parts of the pitch). As far as being more likable, I don't know. He mouthed off pretty good between the first and second leg of the CL semi against Real and his work against Mexico speaks for itself. That said, I wish he played for the CFC or USMNT. He is definitely one of those guys you love to have on your side. What incredible pace and he cuts on a dime like Walter Payton.

I like Germany to close the deal but the Dutch have a team of destiny thing going. They don't panic at crunch time. I've also decided I'm really going to like rooting against Van Gaal at MUFC, partly because he is so good.

Alexis Sanchez is apparently snubbing Liverpool for Arsenal. Ashley Cole is looking at Roma or Liverpool and Cole has been offered 3 yrs by Roma What are they thinking there. Green to Tottenham looks good as well.
Do you think he is the real deal or one of those guys who puts together a good WC and doubles his valuation based on a few games? I can't decide.

Do you think he is the real deal or one of those guys who puts together a good WC and doubles his valuation based on a few games? I can't decide.
Sanchez seems like a 20 a year goal scorer in any elite league. He isn't a top 5 guy in the world but IMO a solid top15-25 forward in the world. I don't understand anybody giving Ashley Cole 3 years on a contract he looks like he is done to be honest . Julian Green in the BPL will be fun to watch next year at White Hart.

Depends on the system you run. I think he would be great In our uptempo set with guys switching positions, not sure how he'd do next to Giroud who is decidedly not a speedster. Potential for him linking up with Ozil and a healthy Walcott could be something to see though. Apperently were offering higher wages but he wants london

You buy way too much of the the english rags put out. Wait until the moves are confirmed. There's been nothing about Yedlin to Roma from anyone but a terrible italian rag. Until it's confirmed, don't believe it.

As someone who follows Spurs heavily, I don't think there's a chance we take Green either.

You buy way too much of the the english rags put out. Wait until the moves are confirmed. There's been nothing about Yedlin to Roma from anyone but a terrible italian rag. Until it's confirmed, don't believe it.

As someone who follows Spurs heavily, I don't think there's a chance we take Green either.

I get wrapped up In the silly season as well. By my count liverpool have been linked with moves for about 57 different players.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/01/thats...an-green-scores-great-world-cup-goal-4783450/
I trust you as you follow the Spurs. Everything I was told from someone who follows this stuff close is that Klinsmann played with the Spurs and is pushing Green to play in the BPL next year before going back to Bayern Munich.

I get wrapped up In the silly season as well. By my count liverpool have been linked with moves for about 57 different players.
I don't see Spurs getting anyone outside of Ben Davies, and a CB if we sell Dawson. We have a bloated squad as is. Not to mention a great youth academy that has a few players ready to graduate into the first team.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/01/thats...an-green-scores-great-world-cup-goal-4783450/
I trust you as you follow the Spurs. Everything I was told from someone who follows this stuff close is that Klinsmann played with the Spurs and is pushing Green to play in the BPL next year before going back to Bayern Munich.
That article is saying he will be sold. If Bayern sells him, they don't think he's good enough, and if he's good enough for Bayern they aren't going to sell him. Also, that reporter hasn't been right about a Spurs move ever.

I'm sure Klinsmann wants him to play but there's not a chance he'd get into the Spurs squad right now.

I don't see Spurs getting anyone outside of Ben Davis, and a CB if we sell Dawson. We have a bloated squad as is. Not to mention a great youth academy that has a few players ready to graduate into the first team.

We have Lambert, Lallana, and Can announced already with Origi all but sorted Lovren wanting In and one or both of Markovic and Shaqiri in the works. Lovren, Moreno, and Sanchez have all hit sticking points and might not happen for various reasons. Suarez is all but gone and Lucas likely as well. We onbviously needed to strengthen the midfield but haven't gotten anything done for our reargaurd which we needed most. On top of that we may need another striker unless we want to run sturridge, lambert and borini which is liveable but you see the need for Sanchez if we can get him.

That article is saying he will be sold. If Bayern sells him, they don't think he's good enough, and if he's good enough for Bayern they aren't going to sell him. Also, that reporter hasn't been right about a Spurs move ever.

I'm sure Klinsmann wants him to play but there's not a chance he'd get into the Spurs squad right now.
Green is going to be loaned somewhere for next year. Especially after that goal in the WC.

What are your thoughts on Emre Can? Namely where will he play for us and was he worth a shout for the reasonable money we paid?

Green is going to be loaned somewhere for next year. Especially after that goal in the WC.
I hope he takes a look at Toni Kroos' career (who played a full loan season at Leverkusen) and accepts the loan gracefully. It'd be awesome to see him go to Gladbach and play all year with Fabian.

Yarmolenko to Chelsea.

Almost done according to my source, who knows a lot about this stuff

What are your thoughts on Emre Can? Namely where will he play for us and was he worth a shout for the reasonable money we paid?
Spurs were linked with him last year as a CM for us. Pretty sure Bayern had a buyback clause on his Leverkusen deal or at least a first refusal so a bit surprising they would let him go to Pool unless they didn't rate him. It'll be interesting though because I also thought Inter wouldn't let Coutinho go and he's been a great value signing for Liverpool.

Definitely worth 10 mil especially in this market. I'd be more concerned about the 25mil on Lallana, the 8mil on Lambert, and the probably 20mil on Lovren.

He's silly to go there. I don't understand why all these attacking midfielders keep going there. They can't field a team of 10 AMs.
I think he just wants out of his team. No champions league for Dynamo Kiev this year has pissed him off and wants to get the London fame.

He likes the fame (club life in Ukraine). But an awesome awesome player.

Spurs were linked with him last year as a CM for us. Pretty sure Bayern had a buyback clause on his Leverkusen deal or at least a first refusal so a bit surprising they would let him go to Pool unless they didn't rate him. It'll be interesting though because I also thought Inter wouldn't let Coutinho go and he's been a great value signing for Liverpool.

Definitely worth 10 mil especially in this market. I'd be more concerned about the 25mil on Lallana, the 8mil on Lambert, and the probably 20mil on Lovren.

I dont think the buy back clause was applicable until next year which caused a bit of drama. Sounded as though Munich wanted him at Leverkusen another year before they decided on him but we pressed the issue sooner than expected. We did pay over the odds for Lallana but he is talented, versatile, and obviously won't need an adjustment year as many from foreign leagues do. By all accounts we paid £4 mil for Lambert not £8 which makes that a shrewd piece of business imo for someone that productive even if he's 32. I do rate Lovren but he's a bit pricey to me for a position that isn't a need. If we get a LB and move Flanno back to his natural RB spot I think that wouldve solve a lot of our defensive trouble. A lot of issues came from Johnson getting caught up the pitch and Skrtel was forced to cover 2 guys as result. Stat wise Lovern isn't any better than Skrtel or Sahko.

Last edited:
Yarmolenko to Chelsea.

Almost done according to my source, who knows a lot about this stuff

Terrible move for his career If true. The amount of attacking mids Chelsea have in their squad and out on loan already are staggering. It made Mata surplus so can't bode well for a less proven entity to get playing time.

Arena wasn't anything special. He was okay but nothing special. 2002 we got lucky we drew Mexico in the round of 16. We beat Portugal, tied Korea in a game they dominated, Poland beat us 3-1 and we needed Korea to beat Portugal to advance. We did outplay Germany but they weren't the machine they are now that happened because of their Euro 2004 disaster.
Klinsmann has changed the energy of USA soccer he has recruited a lot of German-American to the USA and he has challenged USA soccer in friendlies. Instead of beating up Central America teams we have played in Bosnia, France, Italy, Belgium in the last 3 years. Klinsmann is committed to improving the skill level for the USA. This was the most impressive group a USA soccer team has ever got out of and that is a fact. We don't get out of this group with Arena or Bradley.
Yes so impressive were we that Howard set a 50 year long record for saves. Our defensive tactics against Belgium were......well there were none. We were outplayed by Ghana and were lucky to get through. I have never watched a game where our opponents got through with such ease. ( have to go back to early 90s ) Belgium should have beaten us by 4 goals and if you were watching anything other then the score board you know that. The Portugal game gave me some hope but it turned out to be it.

Yes so impressive were we that Howard set a 50 year long record for saves. Our defensive tactics against Belgium were...well there were none. We were outplayed by Ghana and were lucky to get through. I have never watched a game where our opponents got through with such ease. ( have to go back to early 90s ) Belgium should have beaten us by 4 goals and if you were watching anything other then the score board you know that. The Portugal game gave me some hope but it turned out to be it.
So I guess Jozy Altidore getting injured had NOTHING TO DO with the Ghana game. We dominated the first 20 minutes of that game and Jozy got hurt and Ghana dominated the next 60 minutes. We won the game with a kid that Klinsmann convinced to join the USA team over waiting for Germany. This team had no business getting out of the group we got out of, but we did and I give that credit to Klinsmann and his system. Arena bombed in a tough group in 06, Bradley won a soft group in 2010 and then the team crashed in the 2011 Gold Cup Final versus Mexico. Belgium dominated the game, but we kept a clean sheet for 90 minutes and while Howard a lot of saves not all of them were tough. If Wondo can put away a finish that a majority of forwards could the USA wins that game.