Film study: Observations from the highlight tape of running back Ish Witter | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Film study: Observations from the highlight tape of running back Ish Witter

You're right 'We should have no opinions on recruits on any Syracuse fan website EVER'!!!

Oh go back to blocking for Troy Nunes! It's what you were best at.

(I can't decide if you could tell that I was being sarcastic before. I'm not being sarcastic now, though. Nunes probably needs a blocker or two to get back to Marci)

We also have to remember Syracuse.com has the same connection to Syracuse University as 'Troy Nunes', Orange Fizz, and the opinion of players on this site.

Disagree. Syr.com is run by "professionals". The others you cite are amateur (but damn good amateur) sites. We are supposed to be the raving homers. They are supposed to be more objective and "professional" (whatever that means). I see more objectivity on this and the other boards than at syr.com. Sad but true.

We also have to remember Syracuse.com has the same connection to Syracuse University as 'Troy Nunes', Orange Fizz, and the opinion of players on this site.

Disagree. Syr.com is run by "professionals". The others you cite are amateur (but damn good amateur) sites. We are supposed to be the raving homers. They are supposed to be more objective and "professional" (whatever that means). I see more objectivity on this and the other boards than at syr.com. Sad but true.

By the way, if we have the opinions of players? That's 100% more valuable than the opinion of someone like Cohen, who, again, I guarantee has never played a single snap.

Totally agree that it is good to see off season coverage of football in general and coverage of recruiting specifically. I just strongly believe that the local newspaper reporters should stick to reporting and not opining on the recruits. That's what reporters do, they gather information and include the opinions of other pertinent people, but they don't share opinions of their own unless the piece is clearly labeled as editorial. There is a difference between Nunes/Fizz/syracusefan and the local newspapers online outlet - expectations should be different and content should be different given that their journalistic mandate is inherently different as it is tied to the local newspaper. Blurring the lines between newspaper and blog is a very very bad idea. I'll ask the question again - do people think the southern ACC football powerhouses have to deal with local newspaper reporters rating and potentially chasing away recruits?? Maybe so but I seriously doubt it. The local paper shouldn't be a booster, it should be objective - but at the same time you expect to get a bit of love from the local paper and not constant headline grabbing nonsense. I'd love to read articles about the recruits that have interesting background information and pertinent outside opinions. But I don't have any need for uninformed evaluation from the reporter who is supposed to objectively report stories of interest.
Good Post.
1-95% of his post was very positive
2-Assumes getting a B as a grade is somehow upsetting
3-Assumes he hasn't heard worse from his coaches
4-Columnists at newspapers offer opinions all the time. Bayless, Whitlock, (often confused as reporters)
5-Which one do you want booster or objectivity. By offering his opinion on recruiting isn't that both?
6-Welcome to the new media where online clicks drive ad revenue and paper subscriptions are dropping. He's doing exactly what he was hired to do.
I don't think he needs to stop what he's doing just adjust it abit. I agree with you that the local 'newspaper' by default does have a connection to the local university and can easily be mistaken as the mouthpiece for the University. All he needs to do is tone down the evaluation but gives us everything else. Problem solved.

Good Post.
1-95% of his post was very positive
2-Assumes getting a B as a grade is somehow upsetting
3-Assumes he hasn't heard worse from his coaches
4-Columnists at newspapers offer opinions all the time. Bayless, Whitlock, (often confused as reporters)
5-Which one do you want booster or objectivity. By offering his opinion on recruiting isn't that both?
6-Welcome to the new media where online clicks drive ad revenue and paper subscriptions are dropping. He's doing exactly what he was hired to do.
I don't think he needs to stop what he's doing just adjust it abit. I agree with you that the local 'newspaper' by default does have a connection to the local university and can easily be mistaken as the mouthpiece for the University. All he needs to do is tone down the evaluation but gives us everything else. Problem solved.

Done! So when are you going to tell him to take it down a notch?

Leave the film study to recruiting websites. If the kid visits, write a story. If he commits, talk with him and his coach. It's simple reporting. If you really want him to look at film why not check out the players arriving next month instead of a kid who's interest in SU is not that clear cut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom