Final 4: Big East 2, ACC zero | Syracusefan.com

Final 4: Big East 2, ACC zero

CaptainJ

Disembodied?
Frankly I'm annoyed by the ACC worship by some. The ACC is just going to become a newer Big East and is going to have to learn to play tougher basketball. As much as I fear Louisville, it was FUN watching Duke get DECIMATED today. I dont think there is anything anyone can say about it to bring me down after what I just witnessed.

Frankly I'm annoyed by the ACC worship by some. The ACC is just going to become a newer Big East and is going to have to learn to play tougher basketball. As much as I fear Louisville, it was FUN watching Duke get DECIMATED today. I dont think there is anything anyone can say about it to bring me down after what I just witnessed.

What? You do know Louisville and Syracuse are both going to the ACC, right? The Big East is dead, we should just be thankful we didn't get stuck in the position UConn is in and move the on.

just not sure why so many are cheering for the breakup of the greatest conference in college basketball.

because we could be stuck in a league with Huston ,smu and Tulane in basketball

Big East > ACC

It's pretty clear as a basketball fans as well.

Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Wake Forest or East Carolina, SMU, and Tulane?

Duke, North Carolina, and Louisville or Connecticut, Cincinnati, and Memphis?

Don't intrude on these guys delusion - they think the big East would be Georgetown, Villanova, UConn, and St Johns with Syracuse - if only the administration hadn't gotten greedy and jumped to the ACC.

I'm not cheering the end of the Big East - but I'm happy as hell we escaped the dumpster fire it had become unscathed.

The Big East has had an odd run in the tourney the last 5 or so years.

A larger % of its higher seeded teams (compared to any other power 6 conference) get elimiated on the first weekend. But once they get past that obstacle the conference has fared well in the sweet 16 and elite 8 rounds.

People are still blinded by the good looks of the new conference. I'm still not sure that March will ever be the same when I can't jump in my car, drive a couple hours and watch the Big east Tourney! Yeah she looks sexier right now but she has a father that hates Yankees and her parents live 12 hrs away. Holidays are gonna suck!

SU and the Ville in the Final Four. Former BE member Miami won the ACC season title. Fromer BE member Va Tech has won half the football titles since it joined the league. This is your future, ACC. I'm reminded of O'Brien's lecture to Winston Smith in Room 101: If you want to picture the future, imagine a boot stomping a human face. Former Big Easters are the boot and Tobacco Road is the face.

There is some basis for the ACC hype. Since 2003 (10 years ago) they have won the tournament 3 times, matched only by the BE.

The one that gets me the most is the B-10. All year we have been fed the line that the B-10 is the best coference in America. I never heard one commentator challenge that claim. We just blew away their No.1 team with ease and we were hardly the best in the BE this year. Not one commentator has since revised their thinking that I heard. Now they are rating Michigan higher than SU for next weekend.

Check how many times the B-10 has won the tournament since 2003.

People are still blinded by the good looks of the new conference. I'm still not sure that March will ever be the same when I can't jump in my car, drive a couple hours and watch the Big east Tourney! Yeah she looks sexier right now but she has a father that hates Yankees and her parents live 12 hrs away. Holidays are gonna suck!
Why would Holidays suck? Why don't you watch the games on TV like the majority of fans do. And those will be awesome games - Duke, UNC, NcSt, LVille, Pitt, ND, and SU. Wow. People see this, you personally seem to feel inconvenienced.

There is some basis for the ACC hype. Since 2003 (10 years ago) they have the tournament 3 times, matched only by the BE.

The one that gets me the most is the B-10. All year we have been fed the line that the B-10 is the best coference in America. I never heard one commentator challenge that claim. We just blew away their No.1 team with ease and we were hardly the best in the BE this year. Not one commentator has since revised their thinking that I heard. Now they are rating Michigan higher than SU for next weekend.

Check how many times the B-10 has won the tournament since 2003.

Barkley has consistently said the B1G is overrated. There's one :)

Since the start of the new century, 2000-2001, here are the relative numbers:

ACC - 13 Elite 8s, 7 Final 4s, 5 NCs
Big Ten - 14 Elite 8s, 9 Final 4s, 0 NCs (with a possibility of 1 this year)
Big East - 19 Elite 8s, 10 Final 4s, 2 NCs (with a possibility of adding 1 this year)

The ACC's problem has been well documented. It had become a league of basically 2 teams - UNC and Duke

The bulk of the Big East's gaudy Elite 8 and Final 4 numbers have come over the past 5 years as a result of the new infusion of Louisville, Marquette, and Cincinnati to the Big East. While I don't know if the new ACC will reach those levels overall, the infusion of Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, and ND should see a similar rise in ACC basketball, imho.

The only true loss, at this point in time, is MSG for the conference tourney.

The strength of the basketball conference, while slightly less, should allow for a slightly elevated OOC schedule which will include an upper level Big Ten team and hopefully Georgetown on an annual, or near annual basis.

Cheers,
Neil

Since the start of the new century, 2000-2001, here are the relative numbers:

ACC - 13 Elite 8s, 7 Final 4s, 5 NCs
Big Ten - 14 Elite 8s, 9 Final 4s, 0 NCs (with a possibility of 1 this year)
Big East - 19 Elite 8s, 10 Final 4s, 2 NCs (with a possibility of adding 1 this year)

The ACC's problem has been well documented. It had become a league of basically 2 teams - UNC and Duke

The bulk of the Big East's gaudy Elite 8 and Final 4 numbers have come over the past 5 years as a result of the new infusion of Louisville, Marquette, and Cincinnati to the Big East. While I don't know if the new ACC will reach those levels overall, the infusion of Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt, and ND should see a similar rise in ACC basketball, imho.

Over the last 5 years the BE has sent 10 teams to the E8. Cincinnati and Marquette have had zero appearances in the E8 over that period.

Over the last 5 years the BE has sent 10 teams to the E8. Cincinnati and Marquette have had zero appearances in the E8 over that period.

Well since this year is included in it, Marquette obviously did make it to the Elite 8. But, you're confusing the two separate points I was making.

First point was giving the numbers to show how strong the Big East has been overall.

The second point was that that strength came about when the Big East was infused with new blood with a lot of basketball pedigree. This forced programs that had been in the doldrums for a while like Georgetown, Villanova, and ND to get their acts together quickly or be left behind. I'm envisioning the same thing happening now in the new ACC has some programs that used to be decent like NC State, Virginia, and Georgia Tech to get their ships righted quickly.

Can't guarantee it will happen, but I think it will.

Cheers,
Neil

Swofford could solve all of this by changing the name of the ACC to the Big East - Isn't the name soon available? We could sneak in the back door at MSG and no one would be the wiser..:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom