Final Four appearances since 1985 | Syracusefan.com

Final Four appearances since 1985

Alsacs

Living Legend
Here is a list of all teams with multiple Final Fours since the tournament expanded to 64/68.
With the gaps

Duke: 12 (5 national titles)
-------------------------------------------------------
North Carolina: 10 (3)
Kentucky: 8 (3)

Kansas: 8 (2)

Michigan State: 7 (1)

Connecticut: 5 (4)
------------------------------------------------------
Florida: 5 (2)
Syracuse: 5 (1)

Louisville: 4 (2)
Arizona: 4 (1)

Michigan: 4 (1)

UCLA: 4 (1)
Villanova: 3 (1)

Arkansas: 3 (1)

Indiana: 3 (1)

UNLV: 3 (1)
Oklahoma: 3(0)

Wisconsin: 3(0)

Maryland: 2 (1)

Butler: 2 (0)

Georgia Tech: 2 (0)

Georgetown: 2 (0)

Oklahoma State: 2 (0)

Illinois: 2 (0)

Ohio State: 2 (0)

Last edited:
Fly Rodder said:
F-ing UConn ...a title in 80% of their FF appearances. That must be where all of Izzo's titles have gone.

Gotta give them credit. The good news is they are certainly an outlier. We have now been to same amount of final fours than they have. Let's see how we stack up on this list after Monday.

With the talent that Kentucky and UNC get, a legitimate argument could be made that they under perform. On the surface that might sound silly to some, but look at the level of talent that they get - particularly Kentucky, and they have only three Nat Championships to show for it.

Oh yeah, and let's p l e a s e not talk about that team that has over performed. Their fans must get a kick out of visiting our site because we talk far too much about them.

You have to to give them credit for winning there titles but their final opponents outside of 1999 have been pretty poor.

1999 Duke- probably the best team not to win the NC so UConn should get big props for this win.

2004 Georgia Tech 3 seed. Not really a great team their bracket blew up and they beat a 4 seed in the Elite 8 and 2 seed in the Final Four. I am fairly confident UConn was worthy though they were the best team most of the regular season and they cameback against Duke in the Final Four and earned this title.

2011- Horseshoe title. They beat 2 seed San Diego State, 5 seed Arizona, 4 seed Kentucky, 8 seed Butler. This team benefited from the brackets blowing up and riding a hot Walker. Butler's offense in the NC was a disgrace to CBB.

2014- They were underseeded. Beat Villanova/Iowa State/Michigan State/Florida to earn it. 8 seed Kentucky in the final was missing Willy Cauley-Stein but UConn beat the #1 overall seed and beat good teams.

They just have gotten breaks and taken advantage. This year we are riding our break of Michigan State losing and now need to win 2 more games.

Gotta give them credit. The good news is they are certainly an outlier. We have now been to same amount of final fours than they have. Let's see how we stack up on this list after Monday.

We have more Final Fours. 6 vs 5.

BTW, the list of active coaches since 1985 with more Final Fours than JB: K, Roy, Cal*, Pitino, and Izzo.

*And just to head off at the pass wht I know is coming. Yeah I know about 1996 and 2008. They happened. Just like JB's 102 wins happened.

Izzo is 0-8 vs. Roy Williams and 1-9 vs. Coach K.

That is where Michigan State's have gone.

Michigan State has been eliminated in the Final Four by 1999 Duke, 2001 Arizona, 2005 North Carolina, 2009 North Carolina-NC game, 2010 Butler, 2015 Duke.

With the talent that Kentucky and UNC get, a legitimate argument could be made that they under perform. On the surface that might sound silly to some, but look at the level of talent that they get - particularly Kentucky, and they have only three Nat Championships to show for it.

Oh yeah, and let's p l e a s e not talk about that team that has over performed. Their fans must get a kick out of visiting our site because we talk far too much about them.
No kidding. I wish I had bookmarked some page I saw on ESPN about recruiting. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it said something along the lines of Coach Boeheim having like less than 20 All Americans compared to Coach K's 60+ All Americans.

I wonder if there is a list to compare the amount that some of these top coaches have gotten.

We have more Final Fours. 6 vs 5.

BTW, the list of active coaches since 1985 with more Final Fours than JB: K, Roy, Cal*, Pitino, and Izzo.

*And just to head off at the pass wht I know is coming. Yeah I know about 1996 and 2008. They happened. Just like JB's 102 wins happened.

As for 6 vs 5, the list is only post-1985. So we have 5.

Such a shame we couldn't have converted 2010 and/or 2012. Dog gone those were missed opportunities. And it is neat to have the surprise run this year, but let's face it, both of those teams had a much better chance of actually winning an NC than this team does (on paper at least). Boeheim should be put in the hall of fame again if he can get this team an NC. He's working around so many holes in terms of size, people out of position, depth, etc.

Such a shame we couldn't have converted 2010 and/or 2012. Dog gone those were missed opportunities. And it is neat to have the surprise run this year, but let's face it, both of those teams had a much better chance of actually winning an NC than this team does (on paper at least). Boeheim should be put in the hall of fame again if he can get this team an NC. He's working around so many holes in terms of size, people out of position, depth, etc.

LOL. Since 1985. My bad.

This brings back the debate about NCAAT vs regular season. Using the NCAAT as the metric Cuse is easily Top 10 during that span. However during that time we were rarely the conference champ (only 8 of 32 and only 4 of the last 25 years). Same can be said of conference tournaments (4 of 32 and 2 of the last 24 years). So if you put more emphasis on the season the SU is not even close to Top 10.

youre missing a certain team of great hate.

I added the losers from DC. I omited them orginally they are 2(0)

This brings back the debate about NCAAT vs regular season. Using the NCAAT as the metric Cuse is easily Top 10 during that span. However during that time we were rarely the conference champ (only 8 of 32 and only 4 of the last 25 years). Same can be said of conference tournaments (4 of 32 and 2 of the last 24 years). So if you put more emphasis on the season the SU is not even close to Top 10.
I'm not a "NCAA Tournament is all that matters" guy, but I think counting Final Fours is good indicator of a program's regular season success as well. Notice that the teams near the top of the list are also perennial 1 and 2 seeds in the tournament. Teams that consistently earn top seeds in the tournament are going to have more Final Fours over time.

I'm not a "NCAA Tournament is all that matters" guy, but I think counting Final Fours is good indicator of a program's regular season success as well. Notice that the teams near the top of the list are also perennial 1 and 2 seeds in the tournament. Teams that consistently earn top seeds in the tournament are going to have more Final Fours over time.
Isn't this the first time we have been below a 4 seed in the Tournament or some such thing?

Isn't this the first time we have been below a 4 seed in the Tournament or some such thing?
were a 5 seed in 2006, the GMAC goes crazy in the BE tournament year that ended with a 1st round loss to TAMU

Izzo is 0-8 vs. Roy Williams and 1-9 vs. Coach K.

That is where Michigan State's have gone.

Michigan State has been eliminated in the Final Four by 1999 Duke, 2001 Arizona, 2005 North Carolina, 2009 North Carolina-NC game, 2010 Butler, 2015 Duke.
Impossible. A coaching icon like Izzo could never be owned like that by two of his peers, one of whom is a bumbling game coach.

In a way that is why I am ignoring the "we dont belong" naysayers. This year is a partial downpayment for years like 77,78,80,81,95,05,10 and 12. And for the years we were on the wrong side of the bubble.

It is the 1st time in the 2000s that we have been worse than a 5 seed. Although we have missed making the NCAAT 4x. Also we have been better than a 3 seed only twice in the 2000s. We usually are in the 3-5 seed range. From 1986-1991 we were a 2 seed all but one season and we were a 3 seed the year we weren't a 2 seed.

Interesting that Boeheim never made a final four as a 1 seed. Not hating on him just interesting.

You have to to give them credit for winning there titles but their final opponents outside of 1999 have been pretty poor.

1999 Duke- probably the best team not to win the NC so UConn should get big props for this win.

2004 Georgia Tech 3 seed. Not really a great team their bracket blew up and they beat a 4 seed in the Elite 8 and 2 seed in the Final Four. I am fairly confident UConn was worthy though they were the best team most of the regular season and they cameback against Duke in the Final Four and earned this title.

2011- Horseshoe title. They beat 2 seed San Diego State, 5 seed Arizona, 4 seed Kentucky, 8 seed Butler. This team benefited from the brackets blowing up and riding a hot Walker. Butler's offense in the NC was a disgrace to CBB.

2014- They were underseeded. Beat Villanova/Iowa State/Michigan State/Florida to earn it. 8 seed Kentucky in the final was missing Willy Cauley-Stein but UConn beat the #1 overall seed and beat good teams.

They just have gotten breaks and taken advantage. This year we are riding our break of Michigan State losing and now need to win 2 more games.
Saw on ESPN that between the men and women UConn is 14-0 in championship games.

Interesting that Boeheim never made a final four as a 1 seed. Not hating on him just interesting.
I think he has only been a 1 seed twice, so he hasn't had many opportunities.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom