Finally looking to push the tempo...I love it | Syracusefan.com

Finally looking to push the tempo...I love it

OrangeDW

Living Legend
Carey gave us a shot in the arm with his speed, we had some guys running hard and filling the lanes and finishing, the passing in transition was better at times too. We were actually looking to outlet and go! Loved it. I miss playing like that. Hope we do it more often. I think we’re destined to be a streaky half court team with our lack of post scoring and penetration. Beating the defense down the court for easy ones is always a plus, if we can do it.

Also, why would this post be deleted the first time? Weird.

agree, but jalen also has to give us some of what he gave uconn more consistently.

We were making a concerted team effort to outlet the ball quickly. The guards were pushing up court and the others were spaced really well. That’s how you punish a team like Georgetown gang rebounding esp when you’re not hitting threes.

agree, but jalen also has to give us some of what he gave uconn more consistently.

He’s not always going to get the chance to shoot that much though. Battle, Brissett, and Hughes are the clear top 3 options in most situations.

I didn’t think he looked like a PG at all early on, but he’s looking more comfortable handling the ball now.

We were making a concerted team effort to outlet the ball quickly. The guards were pushing up court and the others were spaced really well. That’s how you punish a team like Georgetown gang rebounding esp when you’re not hitting threes.

Exactly. I was pleasantly surprised. We really haven’t seen much of that in a long time. At least I know that we are capable of doing it at times now.

Exactly. I was pleasantly surprised. We really haven’t seen much of that in a long time. At least I know that we are capable of doing it at times now.
Yup. I made a joke earlier. Something like “did I just witness a Syracuse fast break?”. Then another happened. Then another and so on. It was really exciting to watch. And we have the athletes to do it. Gotta get some easy buckets.

Carey was the key, imo. He plays exactly the way the team needs the PG to do it...and he's already getting better at running the team from the beginning of the season. I would start him until Frank is back to top form.

I get it why JB didn't want him shooting outside - the comeback came mostly from drives and not 3's - but the opponent is going to give him those shots and he can make them - he needs to be allowed to shoot without feeling like if he misses he's coming out. Sure he shouldnt be jacking 20 shots a game but if he's open he should shoot it without reservations. I can understand why he was muttering a lil when he came out with 6 minutes...

This team will be best playing a frenetic hurried offense - once they get that energy they will go on runs - when they play the slow down game its like a sports car stuck in first gear.

Carey was the key, imo. He plays exactly the way the team needs the PG to do it...and he's already getting better at running the team from the beginning of the season. I would start him until Frank is back to top form.

I get it why JB didn't want him shooting outside - the comeback came mostly from drives and not 3's - but the opponent is going to give him those shots and he can make them - he needs to be allowed to shoot without feeling like if he misses he's coming out. Sure he shouldnt be jacking 20 shots a game but if he's open he should shoot it without reservations. I can understand why he was muttering a lil when he came out with 6 minutes...

This team will be best playing a frenetic hurried offense - once they get that energy they will go on runs - when they play the slow down game its like a sports car stuck in first gear.

I agree that Carey was a spark for awhile, and I think his pluses will outweigh his minuses. He’s got a lot of talent, and is easily the best athlete on the team IMO.

But I think we can run with Frank too. It’s more of an overall approach than just the point guard being fast. Look to outlet quick, get the wings flying up the court, out wide. Pass ahead when it’s there. No reason we can’t do it if the opponent isn’t great at getting back.

But I think we can run with Frank too
JB talked about this in the presser. He says basically Frank isn't back to 100 yet, but he told him he has to get the ball up court faster. Also need a few defensive stops or half court stops to make that happen, and they did that a few times. At least we can put to bed the, JB doesn't want them to run thing, he specifically said he did want them to.

JB talked about this in the presser. He says basically Frank isn't back to 100 yet, but he told him he has to get the ball up court faster. Also need a few defensive stops or half court stops to make that happen, and they did that a few times. At least we can put to bed the, JB doesn't want them to run thing, he specifically said he did want them to.
If he wants them to run what’s the explanation for the first half? I have a hard time believing the kids are ignoring the HOFer and if they are why isn’t he benching them. The problem is that Carey only played so much because of Frank’s foul trouble, if JB had his way Frank would have played a lot more and we would have lost. Until that mentality changes, every game will be a rock fight and we will be a bubble program.

If he wants them to run what’s the explanation for the first half? I have a hard time believing the kids are ignoring the HOFer and if they are why isn’t he benching them. The problem is that Carey only played so much because of Frank’s foul trouble, if JB had his way Frank would have played a lot more and we would have lost. Until that mentality changes, every game will be a rock fight and we will be a bubble program.
In the first half, we weren’t creating turnovers at the top of the zone that could lead to fast breaks. Lephonso even commented that we needed to start creating more turnovers and get out in transition. That started with a flurry at the start of the second half.

I agree that Carey was a spark for awhile, and I think his pluses will outweigh his minuses. He’s got a lot of talent, and is easily the best athlete on the team IMO.

But I think we can run with Frank too. It’s more of an overall approach than just the point guard being fast. Look to outlet quick, get the wings flying up the court, out wide. Pass ahead when it’s there. No reason we can’t do it if the opponent isn’t great at getting back.

If you have time, go back and look at Frank's recruiting video, he is very good on fast breaks. JB has had to have him slow the game down because of depth. This season we have some depth ad the horses to run, even the bigs get up and down court...somewhat.

I thought we were only 'running' because we were down big and there was only short time to score enough baskets to overcome the deficit. Desperation. Same reason we typically use the press—when there's no other choice. The players sensed the urgency of the situation. Hopefully, as said above, this inspires JB to 'update the OS.' We can run. And playing with a quicker, more aggressive pace on offense transfers to the defensive side. It sorta seems like JB anguishes so much over each basket scored against us in the zone that our pace is designed to minimize the gross without respecting the net [no pun intended]. As someone else said in another thread, "momentum is a thing." Energy is a thing. So often it seems like we sleepwalk, and take wins for granted until we get punched in the mouth. Then, sometimes we're able to snap out of it and overcome, but sometimes we can't. We're not so good that we can depend on always 'reacting at halftime.' I'm kinda sick of the "JB makes the best halftime adjustments" theme, when maybe those 'adjustments' could have been 'preparation.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom