Spoiler Alert - Finally watching Lost, just a few years late to the party | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Spoiler Alert Finally watching Lost, just a few years late to the party

Being vague so as to avoid spoilers:

I love Seasons 4 and 5, will be interested to see what you think of them. The Season 4 episode "The Constant" is one of the best for sure. Season 5 is controversial due to another major twist that didn't go over as well with some viewers (for instance my spouse refused to watch after the Season 4 finale). But I lovvvvved it.

I just finished watching The Constant. Probably the finest hour of television I've ever seen. Call me a Lost fanboy, but I see what the fuss was about. I hope Desmond wrote a message to penny in the book from the slave ship.

I appreciate the effort to avoid spoilers but I put the spoiler tab up and said I'd be avoiding reading this until I was done watching it. :) I'm done. Want to let it marinate a little before I post though.

I am an unabashed defender of LOST. Loved it the whole time, even after it sorta fell off a cliff down the stretch. If you watch it more for the characters, you're better off.

This. My friend who I've been watching with told me that it was all about the moments, and wow did this series deliver some incredible moments. I kept waiting for the show to get bad, and for me it never did. Hands down my favorite TV show ever.

Did you fo
This. My friend who I've been watching with told me that it was all about the moments, and wow did this series deliver some incredible moments. I kept waiting for the show to get bad, and for me it never did. Hands down my favorite TV show ever.

did you finish all of it?

Yes I did. I thought the final episode was fantastic.

I don't know how many seasons I got through, I started watching in highschool, don't know what year. I remember being able to watch some in college, but stopped watching for whatever reason...

But a couple questions, I think in the first episode or first few there was something going through the forrest knocking down trees? What was it.

The polar bear??? What!?!

The whole underground thing with that guy? what did that end up being?

Did they get off the island and who survived?

where was the island? Bermuda?

1) The thing knocking down trees (you must have given up early) was the "smoke monster"...it's way too complicated to tell you what it really was.

2) The underground hatch was a DHARMA station, previously operated by the DHARMA Initiative. There were several stations scattered around the island. The guy down there is Desmond, who was basically tricked into operating it.

3) Yes and no. It's again way too complicated. Some people did get off the island (Jack, Kate, Locke, um...Jin and Sun? Hurley? Am I missing anyone or misremembering?)

4) The island was basically anywhere. It could move and existed in some weird force that left it pretty much undetectable, to the point where to find it you had to follow an EXACT trajectory or else you'd never find it.

Things that were dealt with that make things WAY too complicated: time travel, immortality, and yes, purgatory (sort of) despite the fact that the creators of the show swore up and down the show had nothing to do with purgatory. Of course in fairness, they said the ISLAND wasn't purgatory, and it wasn't. Purgatory was involved, though, in the final season.

1) The thing knocking down trees (you must have given up early) was the "smoke monster"...it's way too complicated to tell you what it really was.

2) The underground hatch was a DHARMA station, previously operated by the DHARMA Initiative. There were several stations scattered around the island. The guy down there is Desmond, who was basically tricked into operating it.

3) Yes and no. It's again way too complicated. Some people did get off the island (Jack, Kate, Locke, um...Jin and Sun? Hurley? Am I missing anyone or misremembering?)

4) The island was basically anywhere. It could move and existed in some weird force that left it pretty much undetectable, to the point where to find it you had to follow an EXACT trajectory or else you'd never find it.
polar bear?

polar bear?

Polar bear was just a polar bear. the DHARMA Initiative had all sorts of animals on the island. The polar bear was inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, it's not so much where the island was as much as it was a case of when it was. Due to the EMF space/time behaved kind of strangely around the island.

CuseCPT did you get to watch the epilogue, "New Man in Charge"?

Here's a YouTube of it:

News from Paleyfest 10th Anniversary Panel:
They were NOT dead the whole time.
The outrigger was shot at by the crew of the Black Rock.

Being vague so as to avoid spoilers:

I love Seasons 4 and 5, will be interested to see what you think of them. The Season 4 episode "The Constant" is one of the best for sure. Season 5 is controversial due to another major twist that didn't go over as well with some viewers (for instance my spouse refused to watch after the Season 4 finale). But I lovvvvved it.

This is an old thread but I'm just curious as to which twist you were referring to in Season 5?

E: Also, I did watch New Man in Charge. I liked, especially for how it was able to make fun of itself a little bit. At some point down the road I'd like to see a spinoff series/film, maybe Hurley passing off the protector role to someone else, or showing why Walt was so special. With Hurley landing a full-time gig on 5-0, Ben on Person of Interest, and Walt's music career taking off, no danger of it happening anytime soon though.

Time travel. My spouse stopped watching when they introduced that and a couple other friends too (I guess it was a bridge too far for them in the sci-fi department). But I totally loved it.

It seems like my other friends who watched to the end had one or two things they left hanging that maddened them. Me, I wanted to know who was in the other outrigger. And I wanted to see the statue get built and something to account for all the hieroglyphics everywhere. Ah well. :)

They covered the outrigger at Paleyfest a few weeks ago. Yeah, I had no issues with time travel and thought they handled it really well in the show, especially with Desmond. Loved the not-subtle-at-all Vonnegut references. They could do a prequel with the Egyptian visitors. I'd imagine they were before Jakob and MIB were born.

I had no issues either with the time travel. It worked, somehow, for me. What'd they say about the outrigger?

I had no issues either with the time travel. It worked, somehow, for me. What'd they say about the outrigger?

I was actually misinformed. Lindelof and Cuse kind of punted on it again. Damon said they have a written scene that explains it, but they never had time to shoot it. He also said they may sell the script for that scene for charity at some point.

If you need a good excuse to go to Hawaii, I can't recommend the Lost tour enough. I even found a couple spots that aren't on the tour. There's a 10 year fanfest coming up in September also.

Oh, and I always wanted them to find Amelia Earhart's plane on the island, but they never did. Although there was an other named Amelia who looked slightly like her. And once a company on the show had a name that anagrammed to Earhart

They covered the outrigger at Paleyfest a few weeks ago. Yeah, I had no issues with time travel and thought they handled it really well in the show, especially with Desmond. Loved the not-subtle-at-all Vonnegut references. They could do a prequel with the Egyptian visitors. I'd imagine they were before Jakob and MIB were born.
A prequel would be perfect for a movie (or the start of a franchise). Focus on an earlier group on the island so you can cast it with no constaints. And, since time travel is involved, you can have cameos from whatever TV cast you want (and can get) to answer select questions from the series.

Sounds like they might have footage for the outrigger scene already, but they could show it completely from the shooters POV and not need the TV cast in the other canoe at all. They could also use aired or unaired footage of other scenes to show a different perspective of other things, kind of like they did with the Nikki and Paulo subplot.

It's mind blowing to me that initially there was no plan to actually film all the backstories as flashbacks. Show would not have worked without them, imo.

Oh, and I always wanted them to find Amelia Earhart's plane on the island, but they never did. Although there was an other named Amelia who looked slightly like her. And once a company on the show had a name that anagrammed to Earhart

I know this is an old post but I just saw somewhere that Ethan Rom = Other Man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom