Fine Mess NIL Collective: How You Can Help | Syracusefan.com

Fine Mess NIL Collective: How You Can Help

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
A number of the regulars from the Fine Mess tailgate met last night to continue to push forward on the initiative to form a collective to support Syracuse athletes.

We made a number of decisions. Here are some highlights:
  • Initial stipend raised to $5000, Balance of pledges collected will be used to front merchandise costs, supplemented by 50-50 funds as needed
  • Profit from merchandise sales will be split with the player. Our half will cover cost of unsold merchandise with balance used as seed money for next year and special guest appearances
  • In addition to our named sponsor we are considering offering a small appearance fee to one non-football playing athlete each week to appear at the tailgate and address fans, potential sign autographs. More to come on this.
  • All merchandise will be from Syracuse University official licensees to ensure quality and give us the right to use University logos and trademarks
  • A canvass letter went out this morning to 24 potential name sponsors (football players) based on criteria discussed. Student athletes are asked to respond with a brief narrative describing why they would be an ideal candidate
  • Executive committee will review responses and select one player to send an offering letter to.
  • Everyone who has made a pledge should have recently received an email from dfl.consiglieres@gmail.com with payment details. If you have not received it, send a PM to Consigliere. Prompt payment will be appreciated.
  • Tentative merchandise offering - T shirts, koozies, autographed photos, and 7 autographed footballs to be used as second prizes for our 50-50
  • Once we finalize merchandise offering you will have the opportunity to pre-order here and pick up at the Louisville tailgate. (We can discuss shipping options, but not sure we want to commit to shipping right now
  • Executive Committee:
  • Project Manager / CFO - Consigliere
  • Merchandise Czar - TexanMark
  • Player Contact - Cuseregular
  • Communications Director - sutomcat
  • Board Members - rrlbees, JRHEETER, giacofan, JeremyCuse, Headmaster 9, GMac1.0, lincolncuse, others?
One big goal of establishing this collective is to do it right. We want to use NIL the way it was designed to work; to help struggling athletes make ends meet and put a little money in their pocket. We aren't going to select true freshman, or a new transfer. We are going to work closely with SUAD and we hope what we do will be used as an example for future collectives set up to support Syracuse athletes.

As communications director, I will be taking the lead on posting updates regarding the collective. One of our first tasks will be to pick a player. There are a lot of good candidates. This is not going to be an easy task.

We want to identify a good player who is also a good person and make them feel appreciated by their extended Syracuse family. We plan to challenge other Syracuse football tailgates to do the same with other players.

Together, we hope to make a difference, one player at a time.

In case you didn't get the email explaining how to contribute or are just now deciding you want to contribute to this cause, here are instructions on how to help, provided by Consigliere. Thanks in advance to everyone who participates.

Please remit ASAP via:
Paypal at dfl.consiglieres@gmail.com
Venmo or Zelle at 315-283-0587

Paper checks can be sent to:
Mark Cupelo
8196 Rachel Court
Baldwinsville, NY 13027

Send me an email when payment is sent so I can track.

As a special, limited time offer, add $44 to your pledge amount and you will be among the first to receive a free, limited edition koozie emblazoned with our new tailgate brand and logo!

Thanks for your support and prompt attention.

Last edited:
A number of the regulars from the Fine Mess tailgate met last night to continue to push forward on the initiative to form a collective to support Syracuse athletes.

• Initial stipend raised to $5000, Balance of pledges collected will be used to front merchandise costs, supplemented by 50-50 funds as needed
  • Profit from merchandise sales will be split with the player. Our half will cover cost of unsold merchandise with balance used as seed money for next year and special guest appearances
  • In addition to our named sponsor we are considering offering a small appearance fee to one non-football playing athlete each week to appear at the tailgate and address fans, potential sign autographs. More to come on this.
  • All merchandise will be from Syracuse University official licensees to ensure quality and give us the right to use University logos and trademarks
  • A canvass letter went out this morning to 24 potential name sponsors (football players) based on criteria discussed. Student athletes are asked to respond with a brief narrative describing why they would be an ideal candidate
  • Executive committee will review responses and select one player to send an offering letter to.
  • Everyone who has made a pledge should have recently received an email from dfl.consiglieres@gmail.com with payment details. If you have not received it, send a PM to Consigliere. Prompt payment will be appreciated.
  • Tentative merchandise offering - T shirts, koozies, autographed photos, and 7 autographed footballs to be used as second prizes for our 50-50
  • Once we finalize merchandise offering you will have the opportunity to pre-order here and pick up at the Louisville tailgate. (We can discuss shipping options, but not sure we want to commit to shipping right now
  • Executive Committee:
  • Board Members - rrlbees, JRHEETER, giacofan, JeremyCuse, Headmaster 9, GMac1.0, lincolncuse, others?
As communications director, I will be taking the lead on posting updates regarding the collective. One of our first tasks will be to pick a player. There are a lot of good candidates. This is not going to be an easy task.

We want to identify a good player who is also a good person and make them feel appreciated by their extended Syracuse family. We plan to challenge other Syracuse football tailgates to do the same with other players.

In case you didn't get the email explaining how to contribute or are just now deciding you want to contribute to this cause, here are instructions on how to help, provided by Consigliere. Thanks in advance to everyone who participates.

Please remit ASAP via:

Mark Cupelo
8196 Rachel Court
Baldwinsville, NY 13027

As a special, limited time offer, add $44 to your pledge amount and you will be among the first to receive a free, limited edition koozie emblazoned with our new tailgate brand and logo!

Wow this is great. If life throws ya lemons…..well we’re trying some make some gourmet lemonade given the horrendous realities of the NIL era. Happy to be a part of it.

Love the extra $44 idea, I’m in for that! Let’s get er done ladies and gents!

Last edited:
Dear Nick and Jimbo:

‘Cuse is back, and doing it the right way. Thanks To the team for all the work.

Chester Cheetah Mic Drop GIF by Cheetos

Love the new idea on having a non-football guest show up for an appearance fee to pre-game tailgate. Great job by all!!!!

P.S. I'm having a little problem with the Venmo to a telephone number. Asking me to verify phone number when phone number is the recipient. I'm not a big Venmo user. Can someone explain to me like I'm a tech moron so I don't screw it up.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would suggest when using PayPal or Venmo (don't know about Zelle), choose "Sending money to a friend", not "Paying for an item or service".

That will save the group from having to pay PayPal/Venmo fees.

Love the new idea on having a non-football guest show up for an appearance fee to pre-game tailgate. Great job by all!!!!

P.S. I'm having a little problem with the Venmo to a telephone number. Asking me to verify phone number when phone number is the recipient. I'm not a big Venmo user. Can someone explain to me like I'm a tech moron so I don't screw it up.

Thanks.
LB - try clicking on Pay or Request and enter my name: Mark Cupelo.

LB - try clicking on Pay or Request and enter my name: Mark Cupelo.
I had no issues using the Venmo. I put your phone number in and payment went through. Great idea with the $44 idea that Mike threw out there and the idea to add in a cuzi. Great meeting can't wait to see who comes back with interest.

With the criteria you've suggested (which I think is great!), it could be somebody like Rhino, who has done literally everything possible for this team, switching positions all over the field. That's the kind of guy who deserves some reward for what he has given to the program.

With the criteria you've suggested (which I think is great!), it could be somebody like Rhino, who has done literally everything possible for this team, switching positions all over the field. That's the kind of guy who deserves some reward for what he has given to the program.
Without knowing anything about any other candidate, Rhino would be my choice.

Saw first hand how he handled adversity @ the Ohio game after finding out that he had to sit for the first 6 games.

He did not sit and pout. Instead, he actively cheered on his teammates, offered advice to others, handed out drinks to teammates during timeouts, engaged the Syracusefan.com fans seated in the first 4-5 rows next to the bench (Thank you TexanMark & Cuseregular) in cheers throughout the game, gave the SU hat he was wearing to a board members son, and signed autographs after the game.

He is a class act and a great representative of SU athletics.

Headmaster9 & I were so disappointed last year when we thought we would miss his senior walk as we were away cheering on the basketball team and are so happy he came back once again to play for the Orange.

Quick update...

Things are going well collecting money so far. Close to 70% of the money pledged for the cause has been received to date. What an extraordinary response from so many. Thanks to all who have contributed to date!

If you pledged and haven't sent your donation in yet, now would be a good time to do so.

If you pay electronically, please avoid the option to pay for a service and opt for the option to pay family or a friend. That option gets the whole amount you pledged transferred. If you use the other option, the site takes a cut of your money and the athlete will miss out on some money.

The Marks had a meeting with Rachel Duffy on merchandising and she provided names of some companies vetted by her that we can use to create custom merchandise tied to the athlete we pick. That went well. The plan is to set aside some of the money raised to pay for athlete related merchandise. We plan to split the profits with the athlete 50-50 and use the money left over to pay guest athletes from other sports to visit the tailgate, perhaps buy more merchandise, etc.

We have been working closely with Deputy Director of Athletics Dr Andrew Goodrich on this initiative. He has let John Wildhack and Dino Babers know what is going on and they are both extremely supportive of what we are doing.

Overall, things are going really well. The response has been great. Thanks again to everyone for making this possible.

We are all looking forward to picking an athlete and giving them a nice reward for all that they have done for the football program and the fans. That will be a great day.

• Executive Committee:
One big goal of establishing this collective is to do it right. We want to use NIL the way it was designed to work; to help struggling athletes make ends meet and put a little money in their pocket. We aren't going to select true freshman, or a new transfer. We are going to work closely with SUAD and we hope what we do will be used as an example for future collectives set up to support Syracuse athletes.

Please remit ASAP via:

Mark Cupelo
8196 Rachel Court
Baldwinsville, NY 13027

Exec. committee packed with Fine Mess Glitterati! Strategies sound great.

Quick update...

Things are going well collecting money so far. Close to 70% of the money pledged for the cause has been received to date. What an extraordinary response from so many. Thanks to all who have contributed to date!

If you pledged and haven't sent your donation in yet, now would be a good time to do so.

If you pay electronically, please avoid the option to pay for a service and opt for the option to pay family or a friend. That option gets the whole amount you pledged transferred. If you use the other option, the site takes a cut of your money and the athlete will miss out on some money.

The Marks had a meeting with Rachel Duffy on merchandising and she provided names of some companies vetted by her that we can use to create custom merchandise tied to the athlete we pick. That went well. The plan is to set aside some of the money raised to pay for athlete related merchandise. We plan to split the profits with the athlete 50-50 and use the money left over to pay guest athletes from other sports to visit the tailgate, perhaps buy more merchandise, etc.

We have been working closely with Deputy Director of Athletics Dr Andrew Goodrich on this initiative. He has let John Wildhack and Dino Babers know what is going on and they are both extremely supportive of what we are doing.

Overall, things are going really well. The response has been great. Thanks again to everyone for making this possible.

We are all looking forward to picking an athlete and giving them a nice reward for all that they have done for the football program and the fans. That will be a great day.
Tomcat, i have a thought. What about recognition of the band?

Tomcat, i have a thought. What about recognition of the band?
Great thought.

There are many worthy groups some segment of the fanbase would like to help. This is new for us, new for the university and we are striving to be a model for future initiatives for SU collectives.

So the plan is to focus on football initially, learn about the process, and then, I think the hope is that we can expand the process.

Get more tailgate groups involved. Maybe have a competition for who can raise the most money.

Get more athletes in more sports involved. Maybe get support for SUMB and SSS. Maybe get support for Orange Girl or the Otto mascots.

It has been forbidden to directly support SU athletes from day one. NIL is causing a lot of headaches and issues but it is breaking down the barrier between fans and athletes and will make it easier to provide help and support for your favorite sport and/or athlete.

We are trying to figure out how to best do this. Getting guest athletes from other sports to tailgates is a small start towards expanding support to other sports. I think the day is coming soon when you can register on a web site and have access to a directory of SU athletes (and others that support sports) where you pick who you want to route money to.

Maybe search for athletes from your high school, or who are majoring in what you majored in, or are from your home town, or have a military background, or play the tuba, or have whatever characteristics are important to you.

This is what NIL was for. This is where NIL is going to help a lot of athletes and make a difference for many.

Interesting that the Inflcr portal includes filters for virtually every sport you can think of - including Co-Ed Squash! - but nothing for marching band. Of course as a non-scholarship activity band members have never been constrained by NCAA regulations concerning income generating activities. If we get the guest appearance thing going we can certainly reach out to Dr. Diem and offer a donation in exchange for a dedicated appearance. Even though they show up randomly anyway it would be a nice way to nshow support.

Interesting that the Inflcr portal includes filters for virtually every sport you can think of - including Co-Ed Squash! - but nothing for marching band. Of course as a non-scholarship activity band members have never been constrained by NCAA regulations concerning income generating activities. If we get the guest appearance thing going we can certainly reach out to Dr. Diem and offer a donation in exchange for a dedicated appearance. Even though they show up randomly anyway it would be a nice way to nshow support.
Everyone already knows but I would give cash money for a fund to get more students to play the sousaphone in the band.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom