Fire at MCW's Family Home | Syracusefan.com

Fire at MCW's Family Home

They were IN the house and didn't seem to realize how bad it was! Yow! What a terrible thing.

Sad to think Mike may have lost so many of his personal belongings. When something like this happens, he may one day, months from now, realize that he's missing something important to him that he had forgotten he even had.

Wow, that's terrible.

That's ashame. Sure, MCW going to NBA will allow him to help his mom/family buy or build another one, but that definitely doesn't change the emotional toll and hardship of your own home being destroyed along with all the memorable items in it. At least the memories will live on. Bless his family.

Good god, what the heck?? Glad nobody was hurt, but jeezus this program can't catch a break from distractions during March can it??

There is also the tie-in to that Mayhem commercial. I mean this is exactly the scenario played out in that commercial?! I wonder if they will pull it out of respect for one of the top players left in the tourney.

And final thought: this does now seal that there is absolutely 0.0% chance he will come back.

Houston, at least it is nice and a bit comforting to know that he will soon have the ability to take care of his family in a way that most in this situation do not get. But it is still the home he most likely grew up in, and I am sure they lost things that were important to the family. I hope the team comes together for him all week, and maybe it will also bring them together to win it all for his family. And I mean this in the least selfish way possible. I would love to win, but for Michael and his family to have this happen would be special, and give them something to take their minds off this sad situation.

To those talking about how MCW will now go to the NBA exclusively because of this situation. First off he's likely gone no matter what. Second this is what homeowners insurance is for MCW is not going to have to pay for this situation. Allstate is not going to pull a commercial either. I feel like some of you are stretching it a bit. It's a sad situation but it happens daily and insurance will pay for it. It's romantic to think its now all on MCW to save his family.

Edit: also, when he says all that's important is that his family is ok. He means it. He will get over personal belongings unfortunate as it is.

I am not quite sure why everyone is convinced that this unfortunate event would impact MCW's decision to enter the draft or stick around another year. Their hometown is Hamilton Ipswich - this is one of the nicest of the Boston north shore suburbs - average home value is over $1m...there is no way that they didn't have insurance. And clearly buying Mom a house is not a motivating factor for this kid, they are quite well off. This is clearly an amazing family and I am sure his decision will be made together with his parents and will be based on what is best overall for him. I think it would be in his interests to develop further despite the potential high 1st round pick - we'll see what his family thinks. But I think the Waters article this fall and the fact that he has been hanging around people who maybe he shouldn't have would be a far more important factor than this very unfortunate event. That said, I think (and I guess very few agree with this) that he will be back.

I am not quite sure why everyone is convinced that this unfortunate event would impact MCW's decision to enter the draft or stick around another year. Their hometown is Hamilton Ipswich - this is one of the nicest of the Boston north shore suburbs - average home value is over $1m...there is no way that they didn't have insurance. And clearly buying Mom a house is not a motivating factor for this kid, they are quite well off. This is clearly an amazing family and I am sure his decision will be made together with his parents and will be based on what is best overall for him. I think it would be in his interests to develop further despite the potential high 1st round pick - we'll see what his family thinks. But I think the Waters article this fall and the fact that he has been hanging around people who maybe he shouldn't have would be a far more important factor than this very unfortunate event. That said, I think (and I guess very few agree with this) that he will be back.
I probably shouldn't make this comment, but you are right in your comment about the home values in Hamilton. I've seen some additional pictures and it was a very nice house with a nice full court hoop in the very large backyard. To me, this makes it even more puzzling about MCW's earlier trouble this season and no I don't agree with you that he will be back. I would be very shocked.