First Bruce Feldman now Pat Forde leaves | Syracusefan.com

First Bruce Feldman now Pat Forde leaves

Alsacs

Living Legend
ESPN
Interesting now ESPN has lost 2 of their better college writers. Reading the tea leaves its because Forde wanted to right an article about how the mothership(ESPN) is behind all of this conference realignment and obviously they shut him down on that, and Yahoo does investigative pieces like that.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/201...oo-sports-effective-nov-1/?sources=topbuttons

I know other disagree, but I see lawsuits being filed against ESPN in the not distant future.

I'm not a big Forde fan, but this is a big loss for ESPN. The more that ESPN has a major role in the internal dealings in sports, like it clearly does with football realignment, the more that the legitimate journalists there are going to jump ship when they can't comment on it. We're gonna be stuck with an entire network on Craig Jameses at some point.

ESPN
Interesting now ESPN has lost 2 of their better college writers. Reading the tea leaves its because Forde wanted to right an article about how the mothership(ESPN) is behind all of this conference realignment and obviously they shut him down on that, and Yahoo does investigative pieces like that.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/201...oo-sports-effective-nov-1/?sources=topbuttons

I know other disagree, but I see lawsuits being filed against ESPN in the not distant future.

I don't understand what there is to "investigate." ESPN offered the Big East a reasonable tv contract. The Big East said no thanks. The ACC wanted to renegotiate its ESPN contract. ESPN gave them ideas on how to make it better. The ACC ignored one of the suggestions and invited Pitt.

If the Big East were at all stable, it would be looking to add schools from 3 other conferences(!!!) to maximize its television value.

Where is the giant conspiracy to investigate? We have a freedom to associate with whoever the f*** we want. We want to be in the ACC.

Maybe he wanted to do more investigative stuff. Yahoo has been behind some of the biggest investigations in sports within the last 10 years.

Hwo about some of the others who have left in the last 21 months:

Peter Gammons (MLB, Dec 2009)
Mary Carillo (Tennis announcing, Jan. 2011)
Rob Neyer (MLB, Jan. 2011)
Josh Elliott (Sportscenter, April 2011)
Michele Tafoya (Sideline reporter, April 2011)
Brian Kenny (Sportscenter, August 2011)

The Feldman and Forde moves are really disturbing. Can't wait to see what their Ombudsman/outsourced Ombudsman comes up with on this one...

ESPN is really getting to be a pretty seedy corporation, seemingly controlling everything in sports... they no longer can be considered anything close to an independant news source covering sports with a neutral and unbiased perspective. If they want to recover any of their long lost journalistic integrity, they are going to need to break off the news organization and run it as a separate corporation.

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when a sports broadcasting corporation holds most of the major sports leagues, pro and college, by the short curlies, and essentially calls the shots for most of the sports related business in the USA. In college football, greed and excess by some of the schools has lead to an un-ending drive to "keep up with the Joneses", which requires more money. The availability of more money is driven by these insane TV contracts and networks, with ESPN behind most of it.

I'm not a big Forde fan, but this is a big loss for ESPN. The more that ESPN has a major role in the internal dealings in sports, like it clearly does with football realignment, the more that the legitimate journalists there are going to jump ship when they can't comment on it. We're gonna be stuck with an entire network on Craig Jameses at some point.

Couldn't have summed it up better. I've never enjoyed Forde's work, but he is a real journalist. ESPN's always been about style over substance, but running off more people like this is going to turn them into the E Network for sports. Not a very admirable organization at this point.

In that case, lawsuits are going to have to be filed against all of the other networks that carry college sports as well.

Every organization eventually gets too big, at some point. Pride comes before the fall (so to speak).

I think we're seeing the early signs of ESPN's editorializing starting to be recognized nationally, and it's catching up with them as they're starting to lose readers/viewers/contributors because of it. This doesn't mean ESPN will turn into a pumpkin at midnight, but with Yahoo! Sports coming on as a web presence and NBC using Versus as an attempt to compete as a viable television competitor, ESPN will start to have to work to maintain their market share.

Lawsuit over what? A wink-n-nod thing ESPN "maybe" told the ACC. I mean seriously, what could the Big East bring to court as proof? This lawsuit would be thrown out in less than 3 seconds. What are you suing over? That the conference was devalued? Then why isn't the Big 12 suing FOX ,The Big 10, Pac 10, and SEC. They lost Nebraska, Colorado, and A&M and those conference made MORE money by raiding the Big 12!! The Pac 12 and Big 10 with Fox and the SEC with whatever they got going on.

This is called BUSINESS! ESPN telling the ACC that if they add more teams and improve their conference we will give you more money isn't something you can sue over! If ESPN tells the ACC to add some schools like and names off ND, SU, Pitt, UCONN, Penn St...etc and then the ACC turns around and does it that isn't something you can sue over!! It's business!

Maybe it was a trade -- Jason King is now a National College BBall Writer for ESPN, leaving Yahoo! Sports.

I think we're seeing the early signs of ESPN's editorializing starting to be recognized nationally, and it's catching up with them as they're starting to lose readers/viewers/contributors because of it.

Where's the proof that they're losing readers and/or viewers?

And as for contributors, there's a line out the door with countless sports reporters who'd sell their first and second born kids to write for ESPN.

Where's the proof that they're losing readers and/or viewers?

And as for contributors, there's a line out the door with countless sports reporters who'd sell their first and second born kids to write for ESPN.

You haven't noticed that more and more people are going over to Yahoo! to get their sports information? ESPN has begun alienating people with their editorializing the news. I'm not a big 'hate everything ESPN does' kind of guy. I still respect the quality of their content and programming. But it's no big secret that fans across the country have been disengaged from how much ESPN is slanting news these days. And it's showing in the ratings of Sportscenter and their web traffic, etc. Their 12-month TV ratings and web analysis show a bit of a decline.

If you want an idea of what I'm referring to, check out the following Quantcast web analysis for ESPN and Yahoo! Sports. You'll want to see the 1-year trends and look at the beginning and end of the grids (for a direct, time-of-year comparison):

You'll see ESPN is down almost 25% from this time last year. Yahoo! Sports is up nearly 20%.

http://www.quantcast.com/espn.com
http://www.quantcast.com/sports.yahoo.com