First game | Syracusefan.com

First game

orange03

Starter
Not the greatest basketball ever played, but all in all a pretty solid performance. Really impressed with Melo--don't care what the box score says, he played a really good game. NBA guy whenever he decides to be.

Waiters is the best guard on the team, played within himself for the most part and the kid just knows how to score. Scoop and Triche played ok, obviously not the best game to judge them. MCW played like a frosh playing his first game, but you can tell he's capable. At this point I like him w/o the ball in his hands a little more though.

KJo started slow but ended up playing a pretty good game. Another guy who knows how to score. Fair and Southy played well--good to see.

Actually more impressed with Rak than I expected to be. Isn't going to score a lot of points, but didn't look lost at all. Give him another year and he could be a force. Keita was Keita.

Rak is way ahead of where Melo was as a frosh. Looks like he'll be able to play some d, grab some boards, give us length.

Waiters could emerge as a go to guy as the year wears on. Great 6th man. Instant O. Keita is great as a back up C. Our bench is very, very good. Waiters,Fair, Keita, MCW, Southerland. Very strong. Now it's figuring out how to use them.

Dion has the look tho. I'll take the bad with the good. He's the scorer we need.

How did Melo react to not being very involved in the offense? Did they just not pass into the post, or did he get opportunities but pass back out of them? How was his defense?

re: Melo and Xmas - Do you project them to be able to match up well against real competition?

How did Melo react to not being very involved in the offense? Did they just not pass into the post, or did he get opportunities but pass back out of them? How was his defense?

re: Melo and Xmas - Do you project them to be able to match up well against real competition?

I'm sure he would like more touches--and he should, but didn't have a puss on his face if that's what you meant. Was into the game throughout. I expect them to play pretty well, but foul trouble should be expected, especially early in the year.

Melo's D looked great. He still gets a bit confused of the best way to go up at the basket but looks good when he has to make a quick reaction.

IMO, Xmas will be alot like the Melo project from last year, against good teams he'll probably get a quick hook if its a close game. It didn't help that CJ and JS looked very good out there today and ready to play.

IMO, Xmas will be alot like the Melo project from last year, against good teams he'll probably get a quick hook if its a close game.

This is what I saw, too. Christmas definitely hustled out there (he got two offensive rebounds on the possession that ended with his first basket, a dunk), but played pretty poorly in the first half (glad he didn't get the hook after a dumb play 40 seconds in; Boeheim looked steamed) and seems to have shaky hands and a tendency to play below the rim in traffic.

Can't fault a young guy who hustles, though. He was going 100% out there, and any big who can complete a three-point play is valuable. If Christmas gives us the minutes he did tonight for the next 39 games, I'd call that a nice freshman season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom