First it was Canadians, then Hawaiians, Now Europeans | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

First it was Canadians, then Hawaiians, Now Europeans

How many players does a typical HS football team carry? Do they make cuts? Probably do in TX or FL but not here. Many HS soccer teams here make cuts.

Most middle school even grammar schools have their own school soccer teams. Football isn’t sponsored in middle school - at least around here it isn’t. So many kids first organized ability to play football is in high school unless there’s some pee wee youth football leagues. I know a number of mothers who wouldn’t let their kids play football till they were in high school too.

How many players does a typical HS football team carry? Do they make cuts? Probably do in TX or FL but not here. Many HS soccer teams here make cuts.
In Texas, many of the larger schools have three freshmen football teams (usually some variation of red, white, and blue with the top players on one team, and the ability to shuffle players around as the improve throughout the season) and two or three JV teams (same set up) to go along with their varsity high school team.

Here you can see the various rosters for one of the power schools near where I live in Austin, TX (Lake Travis High School).

Rosters

They have 3 freshmen teams, each with 35-40 kids.
They have 2 JV teams, one approx 40 and one approx 60.
They have 1 varsity team, approx 65 players.

edit: I might add, I find this insane. I grew up in a small town in Massachusetts, and the JV and varsity football team put together was about 35 kids with no cuts.

Last edited:
You have to wonder how many of these European players are actually American players who parents are military.

swedish-chef-ft-blog0617.jpg

I didn't say it would. Just making the point that any sport that gains popularity has to begin somewhere. They are certainly in the infancy of it becoming popular.
In America, there has been a cycle of "Americas Favorite Past Times". Started with horse racing, which gave way to boxing, which gave way to baseball, which gave way to football, which now seems to be giving way to whatever sport is up next. The funny thing about the lifespan of these sports as being the most popular, is that in the midst of each sports' popularity, people never thought that sport would cede power to another sport. At some point football will give way too.
In Europe, soccer has been around for so long, and has been so ingrained in their culture for century upon century, that it doesn't seem possible that it will cede to any other sport. Soccer dates back to 2nd, and 3rd, century China. In America, our sports date back to just over 100 years, so there is not one single sport that is truly in our DNA, the way soccer is across the pond.
Lacrosse

Depending on talent, each year the focus of recruiting areas for coaches can change.
We have recruited Canada , not so much this year, but have Canadian players on the team.
Numerous offers went out to Hawaiian players this year, with a walkon from last year.
The staff offered Zavier Scott, who was playing in Germany and committed to UConn this year. Although no other offers have been extended the SU coaches are following a Swede and an Italian player. Rutgers just received a commitment from a Swede, Jutwreten, and have another Swede on the team already as does Temple.

Is football recruiting going to becoming as international in its' recruiting of players as other college sports?
Never. For some schools, in some sports, the rosters are predominantly non-American. The 2018 Manhattan College men's soccer roster has 15/27 players from outside the USA.

Ok. My curiosity got the best of me.
As of 2014:
Football was the most participated in high school sport in 2014 with 1,088,115 players
Soccer cam in 4th with 782,514 participants, of which 410,982 participants were boys.

Football Is Top Sport in U.S.: 1,088,158 High School Players
Your doing high school. The OP was youth sports.
If you adjust for roster sizes (most HS carry about 23-25 players max, unlike FB), it's pretty close in HS as well

Last edited:
West Virginia has 1 player from Finland, 1 from Sweden, 1 from the Netherlands as well as 3 from Canada.

I wish more of the Canadian guys would actually stick around . Didnt we have that freak wr that transferred in and bolted because of covid ? Now labrosse and I think there was another one ?

I wish more of the Canadian guys would actually stick around . Didnt we have that freak wr that transferred in and bolted because of covid ? Now labrosse and I think there was another one ?
Tyrell Richards

It all starts somewhere. Not many were playing soccer here in the 70's and 80's. It's catching up to football in terms of participation.
Was told today that J-D doesn’t have football this year because too few kids want out for the team. I haven’t checked that, but the folks are from the district.

Was told today that J-D doesn’t have football this year because too few kids want out for the team. I haven’t checked that, but the folks are from the district.
Yup. They also got worked the last couple of years. They weren't too competitive.

They went 4-3 in 16/17 and 5-4 in 17/18

Since then:
1-7-1 in 18/19 Class A
1-5 in 19/20 Developmental
1-4 in 20/21 Class A
Dropped program in 21/22

Majority of games were over by half last three years.

I wouldn't be surprised if Football was done at the school for a few years. It'd take a dedicated coaching staff 5-6 years to start building the youth programs and recruiting and developing kids to a system before things could come back and be competitive.

If a coach came in and brought back a winning program within next five years, I'd find a spot for that man on the Cuse staff - because that's a Doug Marrone esque turnaround

Last edited:

When practice started on Aug. 23, about 40 players had signed up from grades 9 through 12. That number included 12-13 juniors and seniors combined, along with nine sophomores and 18 freshmen. Considering the youthful composition of the candidates, Goodson decided it would be more prudent to field the lower-level teams this fall and plan for a return to varsity in 2022-23.

F*** it, we're a LAX school.

When practice started on Aug. 23, about 40 players had signed up from grades 9 through 12. That number included 12-13 juniors and seniors combined, along with nine sophomores and 18 freshmen. Considering the youthful composition of the candidates, Goodson decided it would be more prudent to field the lower-level teams this fall and plan for a return to varsity in 2022-23.

F*** it, we're a LAX school.
That's so phony

Play the 27 underclassmen and see what happens in a year or two.

Tons of class b, c, and d programs play lots of underclassmen.

I heard that they barely had enough legit interest to field an 8 man team.

J-D hasn't been good since they had Adonis Kinsey go to Cuse.

A parent of a couple football players at JD told me it’s a combination of things. Kids specializing in other sports and a dislike for the coach seem to be at the top of the list. In chatting with my JD classmate Rob Drummond, he believes it begins and ends with the coach. If JD had a coaching change, he feels things would turn around.

Soooo how did this cat fly under the radar here?
From JD. Frosh DL at Rutgers.

69CalebPatterson

• Position:DL
  • Class:Freshman
  • Ht./Wt.:6-2 / 260
  • Hometown:Jamesville, N.Y.
  • High School:Jamesville-DeWitt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY