First memory of Manley Field House? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

First memory of Manley Field House?

My first memory of Manley is vastly different from most. Manley opened in September of my senior year (1962), and its first use was for class registration ... which was a real circus in those pre-computerized days. There were scores of folding tables there, each hosting one academic offering, and you had to stand in line at each table to register for a class that fit into a schedule of your already-selected classes. Needless to say, this took much time and caused much anger and frustration if a desired class (or class section) had been filled before you got to the front of the line at that table.

But frustration is not my biggest memory. It is the DUST. Manley had a dirt floor, and the basketball court had not yet been installed. As a result, several hundred people were rushing from table to table kicking up dust that was far worst than that recently caused by the Canadian wildfires. Today it probably would be shut down for an air quality violation. (Prior to construction of Manley, registration took place in Archbold Gym. It was no less chaotic, but there was no dust).

Oh yeah, I also attended the first basketball game (actually a doubleheader) at Manley that December. And, as became the custom that year, we watched the exciting freshmen team starring Dave Bing, then left for a nearby watering hole (usually TC) when the not-so-good varsity team took the floor.
My first memory occurred my freshman year in 1975. After selecting classes at Archbold and wondering how professor Tba could teach that many courses ;) I eventually made my way to Manley to play a pickup game of basketball.

I always thought I was pretty good as I could shoot and dunk anything I could palm. So I played one on one with a 6’5” guy on the freshman team (I sure wish I could remember his name). When he had the ball at the foul line he’d just shoot over me or if I pressed up he’d drive past me and throw it down. It wasn’t even close. It was then that I realized how unbelievably big the gap in talent was lol.

My first memory of Manley is vastly different from most. Manley opened in September of my senior year (1962), and its first use was for class registration ... which was a real circus in those pre-computerized days. There were scores of folding tables there, each hosting one academic offering, and you had to stand in line at each table to register for a class that fit into a schedule of your already-selected classes. Needless to say, this took much time and caused much anger and frustration if a desired class (or class section) had been filled before you got to the front of the line at that table.

But frustration is not my biggest memory. It is the DUST. Manley had a dirt floor, and the basketball court had not yet been installed. As a result, several hundred people were rushing from table to table kicking up dust that was far worst than that recently caused by the Canadian wildfires. Today it probably would be shut down for an air quality violation. (Prior to construction of Manley, registration took place in Archbold Gym. It was no less chaotic, but there was no dust).

Oh yeah, I also attended the first basketball game (actually a doubleheader) at Manley that December. And, as became the custom that year, we watched the exciting freshmen team starring Dave Bing, then left for a nearby watering hole (usually TC) when the not-so-good varsity team took the floor.
My Dad took me to the Carrier Classic at Manley when I was 6/7 and I remember seeing a guy named Ervin Johnson who was unbelievable.

I became a Laker fan because of that.

Just to tag on here, the National Sports Fedtival was held in Syracuse in 1982. Basketball was held at Manley. Team workouts were open to the public. I remember going and seeing the team representing the South Region going through their warmups at the north basket. Except for one guy warming up by himself at the south basket. Guy by the name of Jordan.

My first SU game attended was during the 1974-75 season. Wooden bench bleachers, the Kennel Club, and the haze. It may have been dust. Or something else. Or maybe a combination of the two. That was a fun team to watch. Rudy Hackett, Jimmy Lee, Chris Sease, Kevin King, Bug Williams, Larry Kelley, Steve Shaw, Earnie Siebert etc. Gave us a great ride to the Final Four.
I remember Roy Danfourth telling reporters at the final four that SU was the only team that had a center with a double chin

Saw Jeff Ruland battle Louie and Bouie and company, my first game as an Orange hoop fan. Ruland was a beast, but the Manley streak continued as iI recollect.
Ruland picked up two fouls right away.

I saw a bunch of Empire State games at Manley. Christian Laettner, Kenny Anderson, and one Pearl Washington. Pretty sure I saw Red Bruin and Sidney Green play on NYC in one of the first years. They did a great job getting the best players from all over the state to play.

Best HS game I saw there was a game featuring JD and Niagara Falls. JD was led by Brandon Triche. NF had Jonny Flynn. Both were dominant and I believe both scored over 40 points, foreshowing the great careers both would have at Syracuse.

The MD Dance Marathon (might have been called a dancethen) was a staple at Manley for years. Major fund raiser for muscular dystrophy. Raised a ton of money. Believe Syracuse led the nation in dollars raised doing this many times. I think this tradition has gone away. Unfortunate.
We must have attended SU around the same time. Registration was in Archbold Gym. I arrived in the fall of 1975. I remember attending practices and going to games. I remember the year they put in the new seats in Manley. I thought they would never get it completed before the season started. I use to help out with the Empire State games. There were great HS games and the Open Division has great college players. I remember Walter Barry and Pearl on the same team. A lot of college coaches came to scout hs talent.

Mine was definitely high school sports related. I think I can remember going to watch a sectionals (maybe states?) basketball game there sometime probably around 2005.

Went to a million high school track meets there until they put the turf over it. Once the Manley track was gone section 3 was SOL for indoor track until OCC built their newish facility.

Ruland picked up two fouls right away.
I did not recall that. My recollection is that Ruland kept backing down our bigs and made a bunch of inside baskets.

I arrived in 1969. Remember William Tell Overture as team ran on the court to play (and beat) No.9 St. John's, students taking apart the bleachers and tossing bolts when Bob Knight and Army played, Dave Harmon popping his Achilles in front of the Zoo, Tom Stundis decking George Bucci from Manhattan. Also a Jefferson Starship concert with first song "Have You Seen the Saucers" in honor of Manley's shape.

I grew up 2 blocks from Manley. Constantly sneaking onto coyne field and throwing the football around. Remember seeing mcnabb in his teal pathfinder always with the license plate “D Nabb 5” and he always would say hello there or when he briefly worked at Peters.

Then went on to work out with Coach Hicks for years and would hang for practices and shoot around which was amazing.

Then getting to play there for the mayors round ball classic for Nottingham was amazing. You could tell why the place became so iconic when the crowd was huge. Fond memories even though I never got to see a game

Mine was from TV as I lived downstate. On Saturday afternoons, they would broadcast ECAC games and invariably a lot of games were from Manley. It seemed like Marv Albert and Bucky Waters were always on the call. I remember one intro when Marv and Bucky started the broadcast sitting in the student section. It was obviously staged but Marv said something like..."these are normally quiet, mild-mannered college students until the game starts in the home of the Syracuse Orangemen, the Manley Zoo!" And then the calm and emotionless students went crazy wild and Marv and Bucky basically got pummeled and tossed around as they cut to a commercial. It sticks so vividly in my mind, I've never forgotten it. I wanted to go to Syracuse, and I did, after seeing all that fun and craziness. I missed Manley by four years. I was a freshman in the fall of 1983.

Last edited:
I arrived in 1969. Remember William Tell Overture as team ran on the court to play (and beat) No.9 St. John's, students taking apart the bleachers and tossing bolts when Bob Knight and Army played, Dave Harmon popping his Achilles in front of the Zoo, Tom Stundis decking George Bucci from Manhattan. Also a Jefferson Starship concert with first song "Have You Seen the Saucers" in honor of Manley's shape.
Tommy Braintree Stundis

My first memory of Manley was either Syracuse destroying LeMoyne in the Carrier Classic or my elementary school principal taking us to an Orange practice back in the days when practices were wide open to anyone who wanted to go (I don't think he had any special access).

I still have the autographs today…… Dale Shackleford, Louis Orr, Roosevelt Bouie, Eddie Moss !!!

Last edited:
Fall of freshman year, 1971... walked to Manley from the Mount...The start of many great memories of the cuse over the next 52 years!

My first memory of Manley was either Syracuse destroying LeMoyne in the Carrier Classic or my elementary school principal taking us to an Orange practice back in the days when practices were wide open to anyone who wanted to go (I don't think he had any special access).

I still have the autographs today…… Dale Shackleford, Louis Orr, Roosevelt Bouie, Eddie Moss !!!
No Danny Schayes autograph though?

My Dad took me to the Carrier Classic at Manley when I was 6/7 and I remember seeing a guy named Ervin Johnson who was unbelievable.

I became a Laker fan because of that.
I was at that game as well. It was snowy and I trudged down from Skytop.

Great revenge win over West Virginia who had beaten us down there in our previous game. Huggins was on the team and the other guy I remember was I think Sid Bostick who torched us down there but was shut down completely in this game as Louie and Bouie hammered them. Incredible atmosphere!

No Danny Schayes autograph though?

Found them....and no Danny Schayes :( ...... and apparently no Orr or Moss either...although there may have been some moss growing under them.

Back then I apparently though Marty spelled his name wrong.

And apparently I was still impressed by that 1975 Final Four run.

SU Hoops Autographs.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine was from TV as I lived downstate. On Saturday afternoons, they would broadcast ECAC games and invariably a lot of games were from Manley. It seemed like Marv Albert and Bucky Waters were always on the call. I remember one intro when Marv and Bucky started the broadcast sitting in the student section. It was obviously staged but Marv said something like..."these are normally quiet, mild-mannered college students until the game starts in the home of the Syracuse Orangemen, the Manley Zoo!" And then the calm and emotionless students went crazy wild and Marv and Bucky basically got pummeled and tossed around as they cut to a commercial. It sticks so vividly in my mind, I've never forgotten it. I wanted to go to Syracuse, and I did, after seeing all that fun and craziness. I missed Manley by four years. I was a freshman in the fall of 1983.
The first memories was the 70-71 season. Freshman Stumpie (ESF). One television game, my mom caught me on the tv. Also was at the last game at Manely Fieldhouse. Most people think that the Georgetown lost was the last game( I was at that one). If I remember right Syracuse played another game (George Washington) years later and also lost that one which again I was at.

During my 4 years at Syracuse we only lost 1 home game. Manley was the greatest home court advantage in the country. It was LOUD and students in the end zones were right on top of the court. Opposing players could hear everything screamed at them. That Manley dirt had such a unique smell. We called it the smell of victory. At the last home game of my senior year my buddies and I scooped up a cup of that dirt. We put it in test tubes so we'd each have a souvenir. I still have it. Saw some great concerts in Manley too. Early in my freshman year saw The Lovin' Spoonful and I remember thinking, yeah this is college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom