First play of the drive | Syracusefan.com

First play of the drive

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
It seemed to me that we started almost every drive w/ a run. I just looked at the play-by-play to see if that was accurate and here is what I got:
We ran on 8 of the 1st 10 drives, (before we fell behind 17-6 at the beginning of the 4th quarter and became a little more urgent/desperate) including the 1st 5 in a row.
Of those 8 runs: 2 went for no gain (the 1st 2 drives), 1 for 2 yards, 4 for 3 yards, and 1 went for 4 yards. For all you mathematicians out there, that's 8 carries for 18 yards-about 2 yards/carry.

The 2 times we passed on the 1st play of the drive went for 15 yards to Nykeim and 14 yards to Queeley.
(In contrast, UNC passed on the 1st play 7 of their first 11 drives)
It's a small sampling-Take it for what its worth.

Last edited:
It seemed to me that we started almost every drive w/ a run. I just looked at the play-by-play to see if that was accurate and here is what I got:
We ran on 8 of the 1st 10 drives (before we fell behind 17-6 at the beginning of the 4th quarter and became a little more urgent/desperate).
Of those 8 runs: 2 went for no gain (the 1st 2 drives), 1 for 2 yards, 4 for 3 yards, and 1 went for 4 yards.
The 2 times we passed on the 1st play of the drive went for 15 yards to Nykeim and 14 yards to Queeley.

This reminds me of the time I won 7 straight times in rock, paper, scissors. The guy kept going with scissors because he thought I would not expect scissors again, and again, and again...

Dino is if anything a very stubborn person. Lets hope he isn't actually morphing towards meathead status and red and rotten.
We have zero chance to run the ball up the middle against Pitt unless we soften them up first. I hope we see some sweeps, miss direction, quick outs and please... Use of the entire field.

I like this board but I SMH at all the tail chasing that goes on here .
We can’t run why ?
The Qb doesn’t have time why ?
We can’t use our TE properly why ?
The play calling is mostly handicapped why ?
You all know the answer and it starts and stops there .

As far as getting better players it’s hard until you win . 2 ways to help that other than winnng is better promotion of the SU education and NYC connection and a big time investment on the locker room simply build a better mousetrap. Also better talent evaluators
Did you know Rhose island had 2 yes 2 WRs at the combine who got drafted! We can’t out recruit Rhode Island????

Let’s get down to brass tacks ...
Did I like the play calling no but it was Gilbert’s first time how could he know we can’t run ?
I give him a pass .
Our outside WRs are way to close to the sidelines I get it spread em wide and open the running game but what is a Dbs best friend? Yes the sideline it’s a defender. deep balls the ball should be placed on the outside shoulder there’s no room for ball placement WRs must line up closet much closer .
That would open up out routes and comebacks how many did we run ? Zero !
Tommy’s built for those big boy throws , those throws can be thrown with anticipation and come out quick negating the pass rush .
Screens screens screens . Also unless we develop a run game or we miraculously get better up front we should scrap the no huddle up tempo go fast stuff sure it’s great if we can do it but right now it’s a detriment. 3 and out and the D is back on the field. Taj was exhausted and there were miscommunications . People say TD has to be more of a leader well a Qb leads in the huddle not just being one of 11 reading a sideline signal going as fast as he can it’s like Everyman for himself. Slow it down , get on the same page in the huddle if things get better speed it up
Other than that that’s all I could adjusting right now . Life is all about dominos ( not the pizza you fat bastards ) you do one thing wrong it affects the next and the next ... but if you do one thing right .... Mack brown before the game said his D line was it’s weak point
Tommy in his pre game presser complimented
There Lbs and secondary because that’s what he saw on film and I saw them rush 3 and we used 6 to block em and they got in so adjustments and do this, do that , stand on one leg , arm chair Qb this and that I can’t see how this week vs the 2nd best D in the Acc that it’s gonna work just sayin. Our D needs to shut them down and Tommy has to survive the onslaught and get 2 in the end zone some how some way and win a 14-13 tryoe game it’s possible but ... sure there’s things from players to coaching that can improve but offensively the dominos start and stop up front . Some optimism.. we were so close to a 6 TD game yes 6 !
The punt return
Over throw to quelly
PI on the post
Drop pass in endzone
Drop streaking down the sideline
First and goal at the 3 ( 2 runs up the middle SMH ) someone did miss a hole and should have scored ) crazy how close these things were how would things have looked then ?
But we don’t know yet how NC defense stacks up yet ? Hopefully they are good
I know I was a little all over the place probably because I’m tired from not huddling and chasing my tail . Wait what lol

Dino is if anything a very stubborn person. Lets hope he isn't actually morphing towards meathead status and red and rotten.
We have zero chance to run the ball up the middle against Pitt unless we soften them up first. I hope we see some sweeps, miss direction, quick outs and please... Use of the entire field.
I really hope so but highly doubt it.

I like this board but I SMH at all the tail chasing that goes on here .
We can’t run why ?
The Qb doesn’t have time why ?
We can’t use our TE properly why ?
The play calling is mostly handicapped why ?
You all know the answer and it starts and stops there .

As far as getting better players it’s hard until you win . 2 ways to help that other than winnng is better promotion of the SU education and NYC connection and a big time investment on the locker room simply build a better mousetrap. Also better talent evaluators
Did you know Rhose island had 2 yes 2 WRs at the combine who got drafted! We can’t out recruit Rhode Island????

Let’s get down to brass tacks ...
Did I like the play calling no but it was Gilbert’s first time how could he know we can’t run ?
I give him a pass .
Our outside WRs are way to close to the sidelines I get it spread em wide and open the running game but what is a Dbs best friend? Yes the sideline it’s a defender. deep balls the ball should be placed on the outside shoulder there’s no room for ball placement WRs must line up closet much closer .
That would open up out routes and comebacks how many did we run ? Zero !
Tommy’s built for those big boy throws , those throws can be thrown with anticipation and come out quick negating the pass rush .
Screens screens screens . Also unless we develop a run game or we miraculously get better up front we should scrap the no huddle up tempo go fast stuff sure it’s great if we can do it but right now it’s a detriment. 3 and out and the D is back on the field. Taj was exhausted and there were miscommunications . People say TD has to be more of a leader well a Qb leads in the huddle not just being one of 11 reading a sideline signal going as fast as he can it’s like Everyman for himself. Slow it down , get on the same page in the huddle if things get better speed it up
Other than that that’s all I could adjusting right now . Life is all about dominos ( not the pizza you fat bastards ) you do one thing wrong it affects the next and the next ... but if you do one thing right ... Mack brown before the game said his D line was it’s weak point
Tommy in his pre game presser complimented
There Lbs and secondary because that’s what he saw on film and I saw them rush 3 and we used 6 to block em and they got in so adjustments and do this, do that , stand on one leg , arm chair Qb this and that I can’t see how this week vs the 2nd best D in the Acc that it’s gonna work just sayin. Our D needs to shut them down and Tommy has to survive the onslaught and get 2 in the end zone some how some way and win a 14-13 tryoe game it’s possible but ... sure there’s things from players to coaching that can improve but offensively the dominos start and stop up front . Some optimism.. we were so close to a 6 TD game yes 6 !
The punt return
Over throw to quelly
PI on the post
Drop pass in endzone
Drop streaking down the sideline
First and goal at the 3 ( 2 runs up the middle SMH ) someone did miss a hole and should have scored ) crazy how close these things were how would things have looked then ?
But we don’t know yet how NC defense stacks up yet ? Hopefully they are good
I know I was a little all over the place probably because I’m tired from not huddling and chasing my tail . Wait what lol
See I still think if we stay quick tempo that we need to spread and hit snap and throws so it gets us moving chains and offense the confidance to keep doing it. Td gets in a rythym and bam we start moving.

See I still think if we stay quick tempo that we need to spread and hit snap and throws so it gets us moving chains and offense the confidance to keep doing it. Td gets in a rythym and bam we start moving.
I get it but if we run for 1 yard or take s sack there’s no Rythm to be had

We ran on 8 of the 1st 10 drives, (before we fell behind 17-6 at the beginning of the 4th quarter and became a little more urgent/desperate) including the 1st 5 in a row.
Of those 8 runs: 2 went for no gain (the 1st 2 drives), 1 for 2 yards, 4 for 3 yards, and 1 went for 4 yards.
Is this post from 2003?

Come on man - that's the genius of this approach - you pound it into the line 8 times out of 10 for virtually no gain and then when you throw it on first - BOOM, 15 yard gain. Now you start the process over again (this is where patience really pays off) and a couple of quarters later - another first down!

I get it but if we run for 1 yard or take s sack there’s no Rythm to be had
I believe the point is the quick passes on 1st down would avoid the 1-yard run or sack. It looks like opposing Defenses are playing for those 1st down runs up the middle. The quick pop passes to the middle of the field or swing pass to JJ should be available. Once teams see us doing that, the LB's have to back up somewhat from aggressively pursuing the runs up the middle and could give us a little more room on those runs. We need the quick, short passes.

What I do not understand is the change in philosophy from when Dino first started. He was a riverboat gambler. Going for it on 4th down in su territory. It was like we are going to throw a three yard out or slant and you cannot stop us. I remember him saying the short pass was like a run. Since the change in qb we seem to have gotten away from that style of play. Now some may say it’s all the OL. However let’s be honest our OL has been lacking for a while with the exception of 2018 it was just ED masked the issues with his athleticism.

What I do not understand is the change in philosophy from when Dino first started. He was a riverboat gambler. Going for it on 4th down in su territory. It was like we are going to throw a three yard out or slant and you cannot stop us. I remember him saying the short pass was like a run. Since the change in qb we seem to have gotten away from that style of play. Now some may say it’s all the OL. However let’s be honest our OL has been lacking for a while with the exception of 2018 it was just ED masked the issues with his athleticism.
I think the riverboat gambler thing is simply about his confidence in our ability to get those 3 yards. He doesn't have it now.

I believe the point is the quick passes on 1st down would avoid the 1-yard run or sack. It looks like opposing Defenses are playing for those 1st down runs up the middle. The quick pop passes to the middle of the field or swing pass to JJ should be available. Once teams see us doing that, the LB's have to back up somewhat from aggressively pursuing the runs up the middle and could give us a little more room on those runs. We need the quick, short passes.
Amen

I think the riverboat gambler thing is simply about his confidence in our ability to get those 3 yards. He doesn't have it now.
not even sure we can run for 1 yd at this point

Stubborn people are very predictable.....

Not sure where to put this post. Here goes.

If almost all of the first down plays are run-pass options, as HCDB said, then the onus falls squarely on DeVito to decide where to go with the ball.

Or does it? TD stops and looks to the sideline an awful lot. Is that a deek? Is he under marching orders or are they really leaving it up to TD to make the RPO decision?

Of those 8 runs: 2 went for no gain (the 1st 2 drives), 1 for 2 yards, 4 for 3 yards, and 1 went for 4 yards. For all you mathematicians out there, that's 8 carries for 18 yards-about 2 yards/carry.

Agree, coming out running in the college game against a like opponent (non fcs) and running is a waste of time unless you have an elite line. The game is played in space and often making the D run sideline to sideline depending the passing game is what softens up the real estate between the tackles to gash some runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom