First round picks | Syracusefan.com

First round picks

two3zone

RIP Shark58
If Lydon and Battle are first round picks, how is this team 11-9?

The simple answers are:

We don't have a point guard.

We don't play defense well enough.

We don't give the guys we need to have the ball the ball enough.

We don't run an offense properly.

Our defense is wretched.

Maybe these guys aren't really first round picks.

Any others?

The simple answers are:

Our defense is wretched.

Any others?
You answered your own question. Lydon is a 1st round pick this year and Battle is a 1st round pick in 2018. No PG, awful D and lack of chemistry is pretty much the reason.

Also the NBA doesn't necessarily draft guys based on our current ability but projected ability

The simple answers are:

Our defense is wretched.

Any others?

Not sure Battle is a first rounder but I'd add two more:

-- Battle needed time to either get healthy and/or get adjusted to college. Been much more aggressive the past few games, which would have helped dramatically earlier in the season at the very least.

-- This team had zero continuity. A ton of first-year guys with Roberson seemingly pushed out of the lineup and Lydon struggling miserably to adjust to his new role. That's a miserable way to begin a season.

The simple answers are:

Our defense is wretched.

Any others?

Missed layups.

Poor rebounding.

Missed layups.

Poor rebounding.

MR wasn't much of a rebounder and his shooting stats were worse than Battle's. My point is you (and me) have no idea what these guys see and what they're looking for. In January I don't think many saw MR going where he got drafted.

Right now he has more game and more potential than MR and he went well inside the first round.
To be fair if we lose to Gonzaga, Mali either doesn't declare or doesn't go round 1. The majority of MR's stock was because he went off against the ACC DPOY in a 10min span in an Elite 8 game.

To be fair if we lose to Gonzaga, Mali either doesn't declare or doesn't go round 1. The majority of MR's stock was because he went off against the ACC DPOY in a 10min span in an Elite 8 game.

I agree although supposedly he did well in private workouts etc.

The reason I'd say Battle > Mali

Battle is showing to be a better shooter, better at driving/finishing, and has a better body build. Not sure what Battles exact mesurables are but he looks like one of those guys who doesn't have to do great in college to have scouts drool over him.

Not sure if he's a first rounder from what we've seen of him but there are guys who leave knowing they're a second round pick.

Don't know if he leaves but wouldn't be shocked with whatever his decision is.

I agree although supposedly he did well in private workouts etc.
It will probably come down to the private workouts for Battle as well. And we will be agonizing about him leaving the whole time.

It will probably come down to the private workouts for Battle as well. And we will be agonizing about him leaving the whole time.
Yes I will be on pins and needles because if he comes back we will be so great.

While I think he could go late in the first round I also think it would probably be a mistake. But I like his long term potential. He's way more athletic than MR and can get to the hole much better - just needs to get stronger and learn how to finish.

The reason I'd say Battle > Mali

Battle is showing to be a better shooter, better at driving/finishing, and has a better body build. Not sure what Battles exact mesurables are but he looks like one of those guys who doesn't have to do great in college to have scouts drool over him.

Not sure if he's a first rounder from what we've seen of him but there are guys who leave knowing they're a second round pick.

Don't know if he leaves but wouldn't be shocked with whatever his decision is.

agree 100%.

No PG. No Center. Three Power Forwards that can all play well...at the PF spot. No athletic SF to be found.

We have some guys with some skills, just too many holes and a poorly constructed roster where the pieces don't fit all that great.

Probation and one n dones were like maxing out your credit cards; unfortunately at some point you have to pay the piper...

Loaded draft for guards. Battle has lottery pick potential eventually in my opinion, which is rare for a 2 guard. A guy like Malachi wasn't going to much higher than he did, regardless of when he came out. Malachi is a two that can shoot and score. Those guys value is what it is. Battle can do all that, plus he has primary ball handler potential. Point that out to him, and let him run point next year...his stock skyrockets in a better year for him to come out, and everybody's happy.

No PG. No Center. Three Power Forwards that can all play well...at the PF spot. No athletic SF to be found.

We have some guys with some skills, just too many holes and a poorly constructed roster where the pieces don't fit all that great.

It just shows you how strange the college game is right now. Unless you can recruit 2-3 studs every year like UK and Duke then you're better off getting solid but non-first round NBA material that you can mold for four years. The disruption from having to lose guys early makes it difficult to consistently have solid teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom