First round picks | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

First round picks

His stock rose because of the Final Four, this team will be lucky to get into the Nit, most people didn't see his stock rising that much.
For maybe the 100th time, Mali was on the NBA's radar by December and was going to test the waters regardless of whether SU made a Final Four run (or even if they didn't make the NCAAT field). His combine performance and measurables would have made him a likely first rounder (and sealed his decision) under any scenario. Just accept it.

For maybe the 100th time, Mali was on the NBA radar by December and was going to test the waters regardless of whether SU made a Final Four run (or even if they didn't make the NCAAT field). His combine performance and measurables would have made him a likely first rounder (and sealed his decision) under any scenario. Just accept it.

He wouldn't have been a first round pick without his performance in the Uva game, he was barely one to begin with.

The chemistry on this team is not remotely good, i cant remember an SU team with worse chemistry. Altho there must have been one or two?

Think about it, compare the SU athletes to the ND athletes- ie very comparable! But our chemistry, bball IQ, hustle, attitude, etc is just FAR FAR inferior to ND. Like night and day, Varsity and jv...It happens, at least we got a couple FFs in last 4 years!!

Every single player that has left Syracuse since Melo needed to "work on something". What you've posted is totally off base when it comes to the NBA draft for the past 20 years.

Yeah you're right, these are 20 year old kids after all. My opinion about Lydon isn't about what NBA teams value in the draft, I said he's probably a first round pick because he's an excellent prospect.

My main point was more about Lydon himself - that his draft stock at this moment doesn't seem significantly higher than it was last spring when he didn't give the draft a thought. And not every kid is going to make the same decision. Lydon can play himself into a bigger rookie contract and some kids would rather not spend the year in Reno or Westchester.

If he didn't think he had a good reason to declare last year, why go this year when your prospects are still good but haven't changed significantly?

Yeah you're right, these are 20 year old kids after all. My opinion about Lydon isn't about what NBA teams value in the draft, I said he's probably a first round pick because he's an excellent prospect.

My main point was more about Lydon himself - that his draft stock at this moment doesn't seem significantly higher than it was last spring when he didn't give the draft a thought. And not every kid is going to make the same decision. Lydon can play himself into a bigger rookie contract and some kids would rather not spend the year in Reno or Westchester.

If he didn't think he had a good reason to declare last year, why go this year when your prospects are still good but haven't changed significantly?

The kid from UCLA seems like Lydon but better and he's protected mid first round so I honestly don't know. If I'm Lydon I go and not look back, probably would've gone last year.

I think Lyndon's improved his stock considerably these past 2 games. He has his shortcomings for sure, but he's shown he can put the team on his back offensively.

Maybe. He's been great but there have been games where he hasn't been a huge factor too, even though a lot of that isn't all his fault. I'm very interested to see where he'll be by the end of the year

For maybe the 100th time, Mali was on the NBA's radar by December and was going to test the waters regardless of whether SU made a Final Four run (or even if they didn't make the NCAAT field). His combine performance and measurables would have made him a likely first rounder (and sealed his decision) under any scenario. Just accept it.

Everyone is on the Nba radar lol, there are like 200 guys who they look at, even Roberson is on the radar. If we didn't make the tourney last year, where do you think he would have been drafted?

The kid from UCLA seems like Lydon but better and he's protected mid first round so I honestly don't know. If I'm Lydon I go and not look back, probably would've gone last year.

Maybe it's wishful thinking because nobody wants another season like this or worse next year. A lot of guys come here or go to other high major programs looking to get to the league at all costs and jump at the first opportunity because that's their goal and pressure from family and friends. Lydon seems like a different type of player. But Ennis wasn't supposed to leave and he did, so who knows

I assume you are talking about Ball, he is going to be the first pick in the draft.

Everyone is on the Nba radar lol, there are like 200 guys who they look at, even Roberson is on the radar. If we didn't make the tourney last year, where do you think he would have been drafted?
I meant on the NBA radar as a potential first round pick. You knew that too, because we've discussed this before. I generally like your stuff on this board, so that's all I care to say about this topic.

I meant on the NBA radar as a potential first round pick. You knew that too, because we've discussed this before. I generally like your stuff on this board, so that's all I care to say about this topic.

Thank you, I enjoy your posts as well, just saying though, how many guys do you think are potential first round picks in any given year?

He wouldn't have been a first round pick without his performance in the Uva game, he was barely one to begin with.

Like a NBA GM would risk his job based on a college players great game. That's asinine.

Like a NBA GM would risk his job based on a college players great game. That's asinine.
And impossible to argue or disprove. He got drafted in the first round. Fact. Most on here thought there was no chance he would. Just like MCW, McCullough, Grant, Ennis, Fab, etc.

Battle is playing exceptionally well for a frosh. He's been noticed.

Guys stock rises all the time because of what they do in big games.

We go as Tyus goes next year. If his best position for us is PG - he has to play PG; if it's SG, he has to play SG. IMO next year everything starts with Battle and we build around it.

And impossible to argue or disprove. He got drafted in the first round. Fact. Most on here thought there was no chance he would. Just like MCW, McCullough, Grant, Ennis, Fab, etc.

I thought every person would or could get drafted.

I'm guessing you're not reading posts by people that follow the NBA.

I thought every person would or could get drafted.

I'm guessing you're not reading posts by people that follow the NBA
Guys stock rises all the time because of what they do in big games.

If that game never happened he still goes to the combine and scores the same exact way. What he did there means 100xs more than one game during the season.

Thank you, I enjoy your posts as well, just saying though, how many guys do you think are potential first round picks in any given year?
That would be hard to say with all the good international players out there. I'll just say Mali had played his way into the conversation by December, and then cemented his first round worthiness at the combine.

Maybe. He's been great but there have been games where he hasn't been a huge factor too, even though a lot of that isn't all his fault. I'm very interested to see where he'll be by the end of the year
Me too. Despite the record, I'll still enjoy watching if Lydon and Battle continue to improve and be more assertive.

Again and again...the NBA doesn't care about your stats and if you can do everything on the court. They draft on your long term potential.

Battle has some small holes in his game, but his game has NBA written all over it. Yes there are some very good guards in this years draft class, and I hope they congest things to deter Tyus from leaving, but there aren't many guards his size that can do what he can do.

Lydon is a different story. He's definitely a better player than last year, but I'm not sure it's by a whole lot. He does though do something very well for a 6'9''-10'' player and that is shoot jumpers. The NBA is a jump shooting league, and there'll be a place for him. If I remember correctly there were some scouts last year that said the wrong CUSE player entered the draft.

The three I instances that always come to mind whenever I see a draft, which always make me think the worst are Marvin Williams, a sixth man, going so early. Waiters, another sixth, although played a lot and not a great shooter, went early. Last is Myles Turner, played like ten minutes a game in college and went in the lottery as well.

Again I want them both back, but unless we get some changes to the upcoming recruiting class, is it really going to matter?

And lastly...the Battle Mali comparison isn't even close. Love Mali's swagger and alpha dog(we desperately need one), but Battle is and will be a far better player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom