First step in getting the shot clock down from 35 to 30 | Syracusefan.com

First step in getting the shot clock down from 35 to 30

Alsacs

Living Legend
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 1m
Swofford said for exhibition games ACC will use 30-second shot clock in men’s hoops. “College basketball needs to take closer look at this"

This is good. You have to get the ball rolling before change happens. I hope eventually this leads to regular season games as well. The shot clock will never be 24 because unlike in the NBA because they play 82 games a lot of back to backs college teams could press and a 24 second clock could really hurt the offense because a lot of hurried shots. 30 seconds is perfect.

I love this. If it ever does become a rule, though, they absolutely have to increase the foul limit to 6 per player. With the new rules designed to limit low post contact, we would either see big men foul out with 10 minutes to go on a consistent basis or we would see the most atrocious looking, tentative post play in ever. In Ever!

Does anyone have any stats about how many possessions lasted longer than 30 seconds before a shot went up?

I love this. If it ever does become a rule, though, they absolutely have to increase the foul limit to 6 per player. With the new rules designed to limit low post contact, we would either see big men foul out with 10 minutes to go on a consistent basis or we would see the most atrocious looking, tentative post play in ever. In Ever!
I disagree. I think 5 fouls still works just fine. Keep in mind, a lot of the shots guys are passing up now (if they're even looking for one) are open jumpers. Not every shot is a kamikaze drive to the hoop or slug it out post up.

The 30-second shot clock would make our zone even more effective. And force more rushed jumpers.

Just saying...

Good for college ball and good for SU. Stall ball is not our strength and this cuts in to that.

The 30-second shot clock would make our zone even more effective. And force more rushed jumpers.

Just saying...
I'm not sure that it would actually.

I'm not sure that it would actually.

Explain to me how it wouldn't? Less time to dissect zone equals more hurried shots. Provided our defense has time to set up.

Explain to me how it wouldn't? Less time to dissect zone equals more hurried shots. Provided our defense has time to set up.
I don't see teams working to dissect the zone. I see teams holding the ball until they decide to start their offense. So, if they have to start their offense a little earlier, I think they'll get the same shots they have been. They'll just take more of them because they won't be able to hoard as much clock every time they're on offense.

I don't see teams working to dissect the zone. I see teams holding the ball until they decide to start their offense. So, if they have to start their offense a little earlier, I think they'll get the same shots they have been. They'll just take more of them because they won't be able to hoard as much clock every time they're on offense.

I think you underestimate the power of seeing 15 seconds on the shot clock and 18-22 year old kids panicking. Just my opinion, but I think it helps the zone tremendously.

I think you underestimate the power of seeing 15 seconds on the shot clock and 18-22 year old kids panicking. Just my opinion, but I think it helps the zone tremendously.
I may be underestimating that, you're right, although it's sad that 15 seconds on the shot clock freaks players out.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 1m
Swofford said for exhibition games ACC will use 30-second shot clock in men’s hoops. “College basketball needs to take closer look at this"

This is good. You have to get the ball rolling before change happens. I hope eventually this leads to regular season games as well. The shot clock will never be 24 because unlike in the NBA because they play 82 games a lot of back to backs college teams could press and a 24 second clock could really hurt the offense because a lot of hurried shots. 30 seconds is perfect.

I am not convinced that this will increase the pace of the college game. We certainly won't know anything based on what happens when ACC teams play Div II squads, Div III squads, and teams from Athletes In Action. Those sorts of contests produce little in the way of useful evaluations. To my way of thinking, shortening the shot clock will only encourage more teams to emphasize defense. It would then be easier to create a shot clock violation. Despite what a lot of message board pundits have said, this move works to the advantage of schools like UVa. It won't make Virginia play faster. It will allow Virginia to increase turnovers (i.e., shot clock violations), or make its opponents take even worse shots. Yes, the game has been slowing. However, it has been doing so ever since Bobby Knight took his first Indiana team to a Final Four (1973) and everyone witnessed the impact of tough minded defensive play. Playing around with the shot clock isn't going to change the fact that defense wins games, and a shorter clock only enhances a good defense.

Not necessarily. Imagine if you had to play the zone and rotate effectively for 2 minutes straight. You would get lazy not only because it is physically draining but also mentally. Teams wait so long because eventually one of the five players will get bored and they will attack.

Now imagine if all you had to do was play good zone defense for 10 seconds. Obviously five seconds is not a big difference but it's five less seconds that we have the potential to mess up. A twenty-five second shot clock would be the best thing for us.

Not necessarily. Imagine if you had to play the zone and rotate effectively for 2 minutes straight. You would get lazy not only because it is physically draining but also mentally. Teams wait so long because eventually one of the five players will get bored and they will attack.

Now imagine if all you had to do was play good zone defense for 10 seconds. Obviously five seconds is not a big difference but it's five less seconds that we have the potential to mess up. A twenty-five second shot clock would be the best thing for us.
I'm saying, I think we already only have to play a good zone for ten seconds.