First SU team since 2000 to have all 5 starters return... | Syracusefan.com

First SU team since 2000 to have all 5 starters return...

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Pretty incredible in this day and age of college basketball that a Power 5 team has all 5 of its starters back from one year to the next.

Even more remarkable is the fact that the team made the Sweet 16 last year.

Can’t wait to see how this team develops. From a Brissett to Battle to Howard, each of whom is capable of being even better than they were last year, to the de facto improvement of Dolezaj if he simply gets a bit stronger. Add that to the health of Sidibe & Chukwu, the addition of Hughes, Carey & Boeheim...

If they all stay healthy, this has the makings of being a team capable of a top 3 NCAA seed and a Final Four run.

Didn't the 04-05 team return the starters as well?

I guess I mean full-time starter. Edelin would have fit into that category but he was an enigma. So I guess you're technically correct but there were a lot of caveats with those couple years.

Return all 5 starters and 2 upperclassmen guards...Huuuuge

maybe more significant: this will be the first time the starting point guard has played consecutive seasons since scoop graduated

i know someone is going to interject "gbinije," but in his junior year kaleb joseph started 30 of 31 games

maybe more significant: this will be the first time the starting point guard has played consecutive seasons since scoop graduated

i know someone is going to interject "gbinije," but in his junior year kaleb joseph started 30 of 31 games

That really is crazy. Feel like we need more Scoop's & Triche's. High quality college players who will play all four years.

Players like Dion, Wes & MCW are great but without Scoop/Triche/Jackson, there are too many holes when those players leave.

...and Gbinije was only the point guard in a default kind of way, because we didn't have a point guard.

This is huge. If Frank's got it in him to be consistently good at that position, this continuity will be a big part of the team's success.

I have a feeling this team will be ranked all season. I know it has not been that long, but it feels like it has. When was the last time that happened?

these returning numbers are amazing and have to be the best in the country or real close.

pts 94%
rebs 91%
asts 94%
stls 92%
blks 94%

May be the best in history of basketball.

May be the best in history of basketball.

It very well may be, partly due to the super short bench. I wonder how teams like the Fab 5 would stack up?

I have a feeling this team will be ranked all season. I know it has not been that long, but it feels like it has. When was the last time that happened?
When mastodons roamed the earth.

The only "negative" is that we're returning 94% of 67 points. That HAS to improve, and I think it will dramatically with the experience and bench we'll have this year.

And additional shooting. And offensive firepower.

The "good" thing is, it won't take much to improve upon that anemic 67 points. Having some additional scoring options, the ability to space the floor better with additional shooters, some complimentary inside scoring, the ability to score better in transition with Carey, Hughes, etc., better penetration in half court offensive sets, etc. should make it easy to get to ~75 ppg.

And additional shooting. And offensive firepower.

The "good" thing is, it won't take much to improve upon that anemic 67 points. Having some additional scoring options, the ability to space the floor better with additional shooters, some complimentary inside scoring, the ability to score better in transition with Carey, Hughes, etc., better penetration in half court offensive sets, etc. should make it easy to get to ~75 ppg.
All of that. We can score more in transition because of Carey's speed and the ability to rest guys, along with the front line size to sweep the glass. I think our #5 ranked defense will be even better because our guys have been running it for a year and we have the horses to press and bring in fresh bodies. But what I'm really hoping for is that we can get the half-court game cooking ... some nice back and forth passes to our interior guys and/or MD at the high post distributing. That will avoid many of the late-clock isos we had to rely on last year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom