First time seeing this team live today.. | Syracusefan.com

First time seeing this team live today..

Jake

Mod
I guess I picked a good day.

obviously we hit shots today, which always makes the game easier. I’m not going to regurgitate the obvious stuff that has been posted by others. But her are some other stuff I noticed.

*The variety of sets that we ran today was good to see. Probably 4-5 different half court sets. The execution was great. Bucknell struggled to disrupt our cutters- something Virginia did brilliantly - and it let to better spacing and better looks.

*Ive been watching since the 70s and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better passing pair of forwards than Hughes and Marek. It really takes the pressure off Girard. With our motion offense and ability to shoot, I bet we will see a TON of back cuts off our motion sets once ACC play starts. This team should really run the Princeton offense.

*The high screen set works a lot better when your PG can hit an open 20 footer.

*Love the 1-4 Hughes final possession set. The shot was meh, but it’s the right play. Lots of options off that this year.

*Edwards is really sound fundamentally. Keeps the ball high. Boxes out (tries). Once he gets stronger he is going to be really really good.

*Never in a million years did I see Girard being this efficient. I thought he was going to be a volume shooter. He appears very content running the offense and being a spot shooter.

*I really think the players are settling into their roles. We know the 7-8. They know the 7-8. That makes a huge difference.

*Q looks like a really coachable kid. He needs 2-3 years, but he will be really good. Looks more like a Pitt player than Cuse.

*Our zone still stinks. Rotations are fine, but better teams will get our bigs in foul trouble early. We’re too small up top to prevent entry passes, and Marek and Sidibe are going to be cannon fodder in ACC play. We may have to tell them to give up the two and maybe we can get 3 on the other end.

Overall we can be a fun bunch to watch, but better defenders will stop our offense. I still think we’re in trouble in ACC play because of our lack of size.

We are going to have to play tough and smart every night to claw out wins in league play. The Iowa game is gonna be hugely important.

Overall we can be a fun bunch to watch, but better defenders will stop our offense. I still think we’re in trouble in ACC play because of our lack of size.

The fact that we're running more helps on that front. It seems to me like we've made more threes in transition during these first 5 games than we have in whole seasons in recent years.

Just get JG3 fouled and fouled and fouled. He doesn’t miss a free throw. Haven’t seen that from a SU player in a while
He’ll be money protecting the lead in end of game situations. Best free throw shooter at SU since GMac. Potential to be one of the best ever. His free throw stats in high school were eye popping. Like several games of 20+ free throws made with no misses.

He’ll be money protecting the lead in end of game situations. Best free throw shooter at SU since GMac. Potential to be one of the best ever. His free throw stats in high school were eye popping. Like several games of 20+ free throws made with no misses.

Not surprising at all. This is from 2011:

He shoots like BYU's Jimmer Fredette, and some people say he's the next Jimmer. Standing at 4 foot 11, from Glens Falls, it's 10-year-old Joseph Girard III! ''My goal is always to play in the NBA,'' he said. Joseph is the current New York State Free Throw Shooting Champ. His personal best is 51 free throws in a row. ''It's just all my hard work's paid off,'' he said. Joseph has his free throw shooting routine down pat - and it's nothing but net. His work ethic he gets from his dad, a former standout player at LeMoyne College. He also gets inspiration from photos of Jimmer Fredette that line his school's hallways. That's because number 32 went to the same elementary school as Joseph. Dad Joe Girard Jr. said, ''Jimmer is just a great person, a great role model, and if Joseph is as half as good as Jimmer, I'll be more than satisfied.'' Now, little does Joseph know that this reporter is the former New York State Free Throw Champion. So I decided to take him on to see who gets bragging rights! And we're off. Joseph and I went 8 for 10 and went to sudden death. Joseph went three for three. As for me, a measly one for three. So, unfortunately, clearly, I'm not in my prime anymore, and it's time to pass the torch to the next big star. Jimmer once competed in the same free throw shooting competition as Joseph but never became state champion. And, of course, we're all wishing Joseph the best of luck. Saturday he competes in the Free Throw Shooting National Semifinals in Pennsylvania.

Didn't we have like the top 2 players in the ACC in free throw shooting that year in conference games? Stats wise, that was the most bizarre season of SU basketball I've ever seen.
We had 3 guys above 80% from the line. It was the anti-Cuse free throw shooting team.

This team has the potential to be a great free throw shooting team if QG and Marek improve a bit.

The fact that we're running more helps on that front. It seems to me like we've made more threes in transition during these first 5 games than we have in whole seasons in recent years.
Yeah, I think you're right.

1st time i got to watch the team play and honestly it was so one sided i left to do yard work.

1st time i got to watch the team play and honestly it was so one sided i left to do yard work.
Dismissive. Congrats, I didn't see that one coming. I was wondering what your take would be, after an SU crushing game, where multiple players are involved along with lights out shooting.

Unfortunately, I can understand your not wanting to verbalize the disturbing observation of the gap between the starting guards and whoever wins the number 3 job. Tough call ahead by JB, HoWash right now looks better than Goodine, but Goodine possesses the higher ceiling. Either way, at the present time, both of them represent a significant downgrade from the starters.

The bench and the hope of the progress that they make or don’t make is what worries me for the season because you can’t play 6 to 7 guys in the starting five guys playing 35 minutes a game each

The bench and the hope of the progress that they make or don’t make is what worries me for the season because you can’t play 6 to 7 guys in the starting five guys playing 35 minutes a game each

I think we're not going to see much of Braswell these next five games, but a lot of the other guys have to play. Sidibe, Dolezaj, Quincy, Buddy, Joe, Brycen, Eli, Jesse. That's 8 and if there's too much foul trouble, Washington or Bobby Braswell will see some time.

*Edwards is really sound fundamentally. Keeps the ball high. Boxes out (tries). Once he gets stronger he is going to be really really good.

*Never in a million years did I see Girard being this efficient. I thought he was going to be a volume shooter. He appears very content running the offense and being a spot shooter.

*I really think the players are settling into their roles. We know the 7-8. They know the 7-8. That makes a huge difference.

Nice post.
I hate to use the 'once he gets stronger' line, but Edwards definitely fits that bill. just needs to get stronger so he can be stronger with the ball. Doesn't really need to be 30 lbs heavier as much as simply getting strong enough to be a bit more physical.

Girard's energy and unselfishness is a difference-maker. Kid wants to win and understands what winning basketball is. When you add that to the unselfishness of the guys around him it's a very interesting combo.

The only question (at least I have) about the rotation is how long it takes Guerrier and Goodine to figure things out. Like a lot of what they do but they both seem really raw in ways to me.

Regardless, fun team to watch.

I think we're not going to see much of Braswell these next five games, but a lot of the other guys have to play. Sidibe, Dolezaj, Quincy, Buddy, Joe, Brycen, Eli, Jesse. That's 8 and if there's too much foul trouble, Washington or Bobby Braswell will see some time.
I honestly would bet on not seeing Edwards if JB can help it. I think both Marek and Sidibe would have to be in serious foul trouble

I honestly would bet on not seeing Edwards if JB can help it. I think both Marek and Sidibe would have to be in serious foul trouble
That alley oop dunk and that baseline move should have bought him a little PT. If Sid doesn't have to play heavy minutes, it could keep his legs healthy late in the season.

Last edited:
That alley oop dunk and that baseline move should have bought him a little PT. If Sid doesn't have to play heavy minutes, it could keep his legs healthy late in the season.
I totally agree with you. I just don’t think JB will do it unless it’s absolutely necessary

I totally agree with you. I just don’t think JB will do it unless it’s absolutely necessary
He is a little set in his ways. Edwards looks to be improving fast and isn't a huge liability when on the floor, as opposed to back ups in the past.

Not surprising at all. This is from 2011:

He shoots like BYU's Jimmer Fredette, and some people say he's the next Jimmer. Standing at 4 foot 11, from Glens Falls, it's 10-year-old Joseph Girard III! ''My goal is always to play in the NBA,'' he said. Joseph is the current New York State Free Throw Shooting Champ. His personal best is 51 free throws in a row. ''It's just all my hard work's paid off,'' he said. Joseph has his free throw shooting routine down pat - and it's nothing but net. His work ethic he gets from his dad, a former standout player at LeMoyne College. He also gets inspiration from photos of Jimmer Fredette that line his school's hallways. That's because number 32 went to the same elementary school as Joseph. Dad Joe Girard Jr. said, ''Jimmer is just a great person, a great role model, and if Joseph is as half as good as Jimmer, I'll be more than satisfied.'' Now, little does Joseph know that this reporter is the former New York State Free Throw Champion. So I decided to take him on to see who gets bragging rights! And we're off. Joseph and I went 8 for 10 and went to sudden death. Joseph went three for three. As for me, a measly one for three. So, unfortunately, clearly, I'm not in my prime anymore, and it's time to pass the torch to the next big star. Jimmer once competed in the same free throw shooting competition as Joseph but never became state champion. And, of course, we're all wishing Joseph the best of luck. Saturday he competes in the Free Throw Shooting National Semifinals in Pennsylvania.

Well...how'd he do?

For those that want to know he won the National Free throw shooting competition sponsored by the Elk's Club in 2012 in the 10-11 year old category sinking 25 of 25.

2012 Elks Free Throw Shooting

* Denotes Getty Powell Award winner as highest-scoring girl and boy overall.
Ages 10-11 boys
*Joseph Girard III Glens Falls, NY, Lodge No. 8125/25
Ryggs Johnston Libby 223123/25 (10/10)
Grant Allen Fayetteville-Springdale 198723/25 (8/10)
Ricard Orozco, Jr. Salinas 61423/25 (3/5)
Dustin Fikac Clear Lake (Kemah) 232222/25
Zach Mackimmie Coeur d'Alene 125422/25
Thomas Hursey Traverse City 32322/25
Holton Harman Fairbury 120321/25
Jordan Brown Albany 71320/25
Quest Aldridge Winston-Salem 44916/25
Tilak Patel Nashua 72016/25
Noah Slagter Willmar 95214/25

*Our zone still stinks. Rotations are fine, but better teams will get our bigs in foul trouble early. We’re too small up top to prevent entry passes, and Marek and Sidibe are going to be cannon fodder in ACC play. We may have to tell them to give up the two and maybe we can get 3 on the other end.

This is why I like
Hughes and (Buddy or Goodine or JGIII) as backcourt then go up with the front line of
Quincy/WITH Marek /AND Sidbe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom