First time seeing this team live today.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

First time seeing this team live today..

This looks like a 19-12 team that averages 75ppg as opposed to the past few years where we were a 19-12 team that averaged 62ppg
I was having a hard time trying to explain this to others, but you hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what what I’ve been thinking essentially. It’ll be a similar record as the last few years, with wins over teams we shouldn’t beat and losses to teams we should have beat. The difference is that we will be scoring more is all. So at least we don’t lose and watch a pitiful performance on the O end.

I guess I picked a good day.

obviously we hit shots today, which always makes the game easier. I’m not going to regurgitate the obvious stuff that has been posted by others. But her are some other stuff I noticed.

*The variety of sets that we ran today was good to see. Probably 4-5 different half court sets. The execution was great. Bucknell struggled to disrupt our cutters- something Virginia did brilliantly - and it let to better spacing and better looks.

*Ive been watching since the 70s and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better passing pair of forwards than Hughes and Marek. It really takes the pressure off Girard. With our motion offense and ability to shoot, I bet we will see a TON of back cuts off our motion sets once ACC play starts. This team should really run the Princeton offense.

*The high screen set works a lot better when your PG can hit an open 20 footer.

*Love the 1-4 Hughes final possession set. The shot was meh, but it’s the right play. Lots of options off that this year.

*Edwards is really sound fundamentally. Keeps the ball high. Boxes out (tries). Once he gets stronger he is going to be really really good.

*Never in a million years did I see Girard being this efficient. I thought he was going to be a volume shooter. He appears very content running the offense and being a spot shooter.

*I really think the players are settling into their roles. We know the 7-8. They know the 7-8. That makes a huge difference.

*Q looks like a really coachable kid. He needs 2-3 years, but he will be really good. Looks more like a Pitt player than Cuse.

*Our zone still stinks. Rotations are fine, but better teams will get our bigs in foul trouble early. We’re too small up top to prevent entry passes, and Marek and Sidibe are going to be cannon fodder in ACC play. We may have to tell them to give up the two and maybe we can get 3 on the other end.

Overall we can be a fun bunch to watch, but better defenders will stop our offense. I still think we’re in trouble in ACC play because of our lack of size.

We are going to have to play tough and smart every night to claw out wins in league play. The Iowa game is gonna be hugely important.

Carey's injury has turned out to be a blessing. He was going to either be the whipping boy or the guy who got angry and disruptive until he transferred out. Now, we don't have to deal with any of that. I think his loss hurts us a bit defensively at the top of the zone, but he still hadn't figured out how to play offense in the NCAA, let alone point guard.

The leaves are still sitting there because we broke our rakes in frustration watching Maryland, BC and Louisville.
Sounds like you still have your leaf blower (infernal device!).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom