Fisher to NYK for 5 yrs, $25 mil | Syracusefan.com

Fisher to NYK for 5 yrs, $25 mil

Rocco

Watching you.
Let the games begin baby. Phil and Derek back together again, will be fun to watch.

Agree to disagree. First line of business is Melo.
They could hire Red Auerbach and still suck. The only thing the Knicks have going for them is that they are in the Eastern Conference. They are going to have to do a real sell job to keep Melo. The two biggest points are 1) it's NYC and we know what that means to Melo and 2) MJ and Kobe both won multiple championships with the triangle. Of course they had a much better surrounding cast than the Knicks but you never know. Fisher means very little in this equation.

The only thing the Knicks have going for them is that they are in the Eastern Conference.
I don't think it's quite that bleak. After this next season they have sh'loads of cap space. They might be able to get better fast.

Next year's probably not looking all that good though.

If Melo doesn't leave I will be done rooting for him

I actually think Fisher can be a very good coach in the NBA. He just gives off that vibe IMO.

But having said that, the Knicks are trash, and I'm a Bucks fan lol. If they blow it in free agency next year like the Mavs did a couple years ago when they struck out on everyone, they're going to be garbage for a long, long time.

I don't think it's quite that bleak. After this next season they have sh'loads of cap space. They might be able to get better fast.

Next year's probably not looking all that good though.

In 1 year, they will have plenty of cap space to have a "Big 3" as long as Melo stays. And there's no reason why they can't do the vet minimum bench fillers just like Miami does.

5 & 25 is what Kerr got from Golden State. I thought that deal was too rich for the Knicks.

Great leader and people manager. He'll need the assistants for the X's and O's like Kidd, I'm sure.

All about getting a guy who will run Phil's system and who could appeal to free agents. Not a bad approach to take because winning in the NBA is about having stars and if a coach will bring them in, then go for it.

Whatever happened to earning your stripes as an assistant coach? I hate this new trend. Too bad Brian Shaw is coaching Denver. He would have been perfect.

I just find this trend disrespectful to the game.

Whatever happened to earning your stripes as an assistant coach? I hate this new trend. Too bad Brian Shaw is coaching Denver. He would have been perfect.

Shaw's Denver team took a huge step back this year. Not sure what he's proven.

Though I do see your point about assistants. All the same, I find this preferable to hiring some retread career loser like Mike Dunleavy or something.

Hornacek and Kidd are doing pretty well so far.

Whatever happened to earning your stripes as an assistant? I hate this new trend. Too bad Brian Shaw is coaching Denver. He would have been perfect.

Lenny Wilkens was a player/coach before he retired. I think at the time he retired he had the most coaching victories all time.

I suspect this is pleases Phil as he will in actuality coach to the degree he wishes and defer when he wishes.

Melo needs to bolt now. New York will not take him where he needs to go.

The only thing that annoys me about this hire is the whole "in Phil we trust" crowd. He missed out on Kerr and then offered a crap ton to Fisher (who i like) in order to avoid going 0-2. We'll see how the Melo thing plays out, and maybe Phil and Melo have a good behind the scenes relationship, but I'm not crazy about how he's handled the situation so far with all his public statements.