Fisher to NYK for 5 yrs, $25 mil | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Fisher to NYK for 5 yrs, $25 mil

In women's hoops, Pat Summit was 22 years old when she became head coach at Tennessee.

Whatever happened to earning your stripes as an assistant coach? I hate this new trend. Too bad Brian Shaw is coaching Denver. He would have been perfect.

I just find this trend disrespectful to the game.

Only way to find out if you're capable to coach, is to coach. And if you can coach, who cares whether you were an assistant or a player the previous years?

In terms of what Phil was looking for ...great hire. Begs the question of whether or not Phil had the right criteria. Hard to see where M. Jackson shouldn't have been the guy except that he has no triangle or Phil experience. Of course, Marc probably would not have been as mallable to Phil as Fisher is likely to be. Fisher is supposedly close with Durant, who can be a FA next year. If I am Melo, I do not opt out. I wait & check out the Phil culture to see if it can attract say a Durant next season. Melo has plenty of time to opt out next season if he doesn't like the goings on or nobody wants to come & play with him.

Whatever happened to earning your stripes as an assistant coach? I hate this new trend. Too bad Brian Shaw is coaching Denver. He would have been perfect.

I just find this trend disrespectful to the game.
I can see that.

I am glad to see new guys getting chances. It seemed for a while that no matter how poorly someone did as a head coach, the same guys kept getting job. Now we're seeing some new blood pretty regularly.

I have no idea how this will turn out (and I was reading Fisher will make more next year to coach than he ever did as a player, which is kinda funny) but count me as someone who is happy they are going with a new guy as opposed to a retread.

I have no idea how this will turn out (and I was reading Fisher will make more next year to coach than he ever did as a player, which is kinda funny) but count me as someone who is happy they are going with a new guy as opposed to a retread.
Value on coaching contracts seems to be going up quite a bit - http://www.otherleague.com/contracts/nba-head-coach-contracts-salaries/. Coach Pop is the only one at the top of the list that isn't a recent (this offseason or last) hire.

Well when you see where the franchise values are going, it makes sense that coaching salaries are on the rise. Playoff games equal huge chunks of revenue- will have to see if I can find some data that shows how much, but I think it's millions per game.

Good for him. Glad he got all he could get. Lord knows the LAST thing I'm concerned about is Jim Dolan's bank account.

In terms of what Phil was looking for ...great hire. Begs the question of whether or not Phil had the right criteria. Hard to see where M. Jackson shouldn't have been the guy except that he has no triangle or Phil experience. Of course, Marc probably would not have been as mallable to Phil as Fisher is likely to be. Fisher is supposedly close with Durant, who can be a FA next year. If I am Melo, I do not opt out. I wait & check out the Phil culture to see if it can attract say a Durant next season. Melo has plenty of time to opt out next season if he doesn't like the goings on or nobody wants to come & play with him.

I honestly won't be surprised if Mark Jackson doesn't find another coaching gig for a couple years. He burned a lot of bridges in Golden State and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, not to mention a lot of people just don't think he's a good coach.

And yeah, he wasn't at all what Phil was looking for. Phil was looking for a "yes man". Jackson is the opposite.

Yeah Phil seemed pretty clearly to be looking for someone he could mold in his own image.

As far as I can tell, Durant has 2 years left on his contract, not 1.

a lot of people are clearly scared of what a good Knicks team will do to the league.

this is going to be epic.

1st step is Melo finally dropping the charade that hes entertaining offers.

Wow Spo is only making 3mil/yr. Crazy that people with 0 coaching experience are getting way more than some of the best coaches in the game.

Phil will be able to walk downstairs and deliver his concepts to the team. Fisher is a Phil disciple. This is gold IMO.

Keeping Melo is NY is key.

Many of you have already determined Fisher will be a failure. No one knows that. If anything, I'd lean the other way and say that he will be a success based on having Phil has an adviser.

How many think Phil and DF will be in NY for all 5 years of their contracts? Given Dolan's history I doubt it. As soon as the team hits a bump in the road in the rebuilding process, Dolan won't be able to contain himself from meddling.

How many think Phil and DF will be in NY for all 5 years of their contracts? Given Dolan's history I doubt it. As soon as the team hits a bump in the road in the rebuilding process, Dolan won't be able to contain himself from meddling.

Jackson is probably more likely, though at his age 5 years could be a tough ask. Coaches are hired to be fired though, its very rare that a coach lasts 5 years in one place.

Yeah Phil seemed pretty clearly to be looking for someone he could mold in his own image.

As far as I can tell, Durant has 2 years left on his contract, not 1.
I dont know about KD's deal but I do think NYK has what it takes to make him consider them. Phil Jax is a selling point along with the city and a player turned coach whom he respects tremendously. Also, not that it's a huge deal, but KD is VERY close to Pastor Carl Lentz of Hillsong NYC. Carl Lentz is always around the Knicks players as the unoffical chaplain of the team.

Then there's the CBS report that just came out saying Lebron is interested in playing with Melo.

Dun dun dunn...

Last edited:
Double checked, Durant is signed for 2 more years. I have no idea if the Knicks could recruit him in that time, that would obviously be awesome.

If Durant were to leave OKC (which I doubt), I think it would be for Washington or Toronto or something (his hometown team and his favorite team, respectively). Things can change though. If New York is able to put a decent team together in the next two years, I'm sure he'd give it consideration, but I think that's a bigger long shot than recruiting LeBron (which is also highly unlikely).

There's probably a scenario out there where all 3 guys from Miami opt out, and then Melo signs there and they all take something like 14 million a year to play together.

If Durant were to leave OKC (which I doubt), I think it would be for Washington or Toronto or something (his hometown team and his favorite team, respectively). Things can change though. If New York is able to put a decent team together in the next two years, I'm sure he'd give it consideration, but I think that's a bigger long shot than recruiting LeBron (which is also highly unlikely).

Durant to NY seems tough to me, if they are putting together a good team in the next 2 years I feel like that makes it more likely they don't have the cap space for KD.