Florida State Defense | Syracusefan.com

Florida State Defense

cuse309

Ace recruiting beat reporter
Their offense was a hot mess. A real dumpster fire. How about the defense though. I'm not that great on analyzing defense.Does Florida State have the same issue on defense as on offense (learning a new system with players that don't fit), or did we dominate a legit Florida State defense?

Their defensive line looked really out of shape to me.

I get that we make them look that way, but I was surprised.

I think the problems in their program run pretty deep.

Their linebackers may be smaller than ours, but their edge rushers are good and their tackles are huge. Good secondary, but young. Obviously, though, their downfall was the time they spent on the field. We ran 88 plays in a sauna. They hung in as long as they could.

Their linebackers may be smaller than ours, but their edge rushers are good and their tackles are huge. Good secondary, but young. Obviously, though, their downfall was the time they spent on the field. We ran 88 plays in a sauna. They hung in as long as they could.
Yep, every 3 and out was another nail in their coffin.

if our oline had gotten any push at all in shortyarde plays we would have scored 50 and it would have been over way sooner.

Their offense was a hot mess. A real dumpster fire. How about the defense though. I'm not that great on analyzing defense.Does Florida State have the same issue on defense as on offense (learning a new system with players that don't fit), or did we dominate a legit Florida State defense?

Thank our D line for their defensive issues.

All those three and outs meant they were gassed by the middle of the 3rd.

Not a coincidence we starting gashing them in the last 22 or so minutes of the game.

New system - but I think they’ll end up ok overall on D (like top 3rd in conference ok). But maybe worst offense? So bad on the OL

This is a very good Florida State defense and far from a hot mess, people are overlooking that and lumping both units together.

We did very well compared to VT. FSUs problems are on offense.

VT scored 17 points
Gained only 319 yards
207 passing
112 rushing - 2.8 average
15 first downs
3-14 on third down

Syracuse scored 30 points
Gained 441 yards
219 passing
222 rushing - 3.9 average
25 first downs
8-20 on third down

FSU has NFL talent and a projected first rounder DE

the dline is not the issue.. look at how many times we got stuffed on short yardage plays.
Was having Gerg flashbacks. Playcalling was Iowa goal line stand bad.

The dome temp and FSU is being overblown. Florida heat index year round, it wasnt a big deal for them. The poor coaching and disorganization was a big deal.

This FSU team and their talent level given big recruiting rankings demonstrate the huge need for coaching and that talent is just parr of the puzzle. Really says alot about what saban has done all these years bc its possible to get housed with better talent that is poorly conditioned and just a flat out mess. Not sure how WT has been fooling AD's for years.

When i'm feeling greedy I think of Custis catching that ball, Szmyt kicking the 46 yarder, a QB sneak over the goal line on first down rather than turning around and handing it off at the 4 yards line three times and the refs not making what I thought was a bad PI call on the Noles sole scoring drive.

47-0. But 30-7 will do just fine.

play calling not the issue, it was execution.. we outnumbered them in the box so the call was an automatic. you need to be able to score on 1 of those 10 tries no matter what you call. and we called some other stuff, thats why the TE throw worked too.

This is a very good Florida State defense and far from a hot mess, people are overlooking that and lumping both units together.

We did very well compared to VT. FSUs problems are on offense.

VT scored 17 points
Gained only 319 yards
207 passing
112 rushing - 2.8 average
15 first downs
3-14 on third down

Syracuse scored 30 points
Gained 441 yards
219 passing
222 rushing - 3.9 average
25 first downs
8-20 on third down

FSU has NFL talent and a projected first rounder DE
Sounds good, but then you can't just dismiss the fact that an FCS school piled up over 500 yards of offense against that "very good Florida State defense" 475 yards through the air. Are we sure that's a "really good FSU defense" What can you point to in 3 games to back that up? I can't find anything.

the dline is not the issue.. look at how many times we got stuffed on short yardage plays.
I agree with ya but half of that was dumbars calls. In goal line and run 3 straight dives in the same damn hole isn’t smart on top of after doing it twice our sideline is twirling our hands basically run same play again so I Am sure they knew third dive was coming. Some good call some dumb ones leaving me scratching my head.

I agree with ya but half of that was dumbars calls. In goal line and run 3 straight dives in the same damn hole isn’t smart on top of after doing it twice our sideline is twirling our hands basically run same play again so I Am sure they knew third dive was coming. Some good call some dumb ones leaving me scratching my head.

They got burned in the first half of the Samford game by trying to stay in base D and believing they could out “athlete” them. 2nd half they switched to nickel and did much, much better.

Sounds good, but then you can't just dismiss the fact that an FCS school piled up over 500 yards of offense against that "very good Florida State defense" 475 yards through the air. Are we sure that's a "really good FSU defense" What can you point to in 3 games to back that up? I can't find anything.

I guess Samford is better than both us and VT. What can I say. FSUs defense is ranked 36th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom