Florida State - SEC Rumblings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Florida State - SEC Rumblings

As crazy as it sounds, is it possible that FSU might be able to recruit a little better in the SEC? Those kids down there are aware of how the SEC has set itself apart over the last several years. In the end, if I'm Florida State, I'm still thinking I have an easier road to another title in the ACC.

That said...

How are travel costs going to be impacted? Probably will save money there by going to the SEC. Couple that with the likelihood that the SEC schools might be willing to defray the exit fee, and it's very possible that the SEC is going to be seriously explored. Let's not forget that FSU announced it was looking into expansion.

One reason why FSU may want the SEC is pride.

Let's face it the SEC is THE place for college football. If you win there, you are legit. FSU certainly views themselves in that class, why not try to prove it?

Another one is recruits. They may run into a lot of recruits saying 'Yeah but, I want to play in the SEC...'

I don't think they will leave, but any self respecting southern football factory would at least entertain the idea of playing in the SEC.
Recruits - nonsense - their recruiting is through the roof. It can't get any better.

The rumor was even more bizarre; FSU supposedly agreed to the $20million buyout so that the ACC could "lure" some strong BE programs (Pitt, SU) to secure its foundations, & then FSU had the go-ahead to leave on good terms. The SEC has already isssued invites to FSU, Mizzou, and, wait for it.....WVU- who've all accepted, except FSU is having 2nd thoughts, hence the delay for Mizzou. Also, something about a "grandfather clause" in the buyout amount that would allow FSU to leave for less $$.

FYI- this was all being reported from a WVU blog which has a vested interest in getting WVU into the SEC. I'll try to find the link & post it. And supposedly, its a done deal...just waiting for FSU approval.
Seriously.:rolleyes:

The ACC may have known this before they asked SU and Pitt and wanted to deal from a position of strength when they went after those 2.

Yup. I think this more than anything else is what will keep FSU in the ACC.
and going to an inferior academic conference...so they give up the top dog in football and easier path to BCS and a worse reputation for academics...hmmmmm...seems smart to do

Instituionally I think it will be difficult for FSU to leave the ACC for the SEC.

We may think the academic stuff is bunk, but college Presidents and prominent faculty do care. The ACC is an excellent conference academically, and the SEC is not. At all.

FSU has worked VERY hard to improve it's image academically.

Finally the SEC money is better, but not exponentially better than what FSU makes in the ACC.

I think it makes all the sense in the world for FSU to listen. But I'm skeptical they'd jump.

Prides a funny thing and FSU may want to be in the "best" football conference in the nation. Don't be fooled, FSU is no academic juggernaut and money and football may be their #1 priorities. Also, maybe a lot of recruits have told them they want to play in the SEC and not the ACC anymore.

Ummmmm...Florida State cannot be "replaced".

No chance. Their slot might get filled, but they are the flagship FB program in the ACC. You don't replace that.

The "flagship" program is in 2nd place over the last 10 years (3) in ACC championships behind VT (4) and has only been in the ACC Championship game 1 time in the last 5 years. Strip away the years prior to 2004 when Miami, VT and BC joined and their flagship moniker looks even more of a reach.

Let's say FSU does leave, that puts the ACC at 13. Is it possible that may be the thing that puts the Irish in the ACC? Now the ACC is at 14 and one less team for ND to drive through plus academically it would be a big upgrade trading the 2. I'd love to have FSU stay but they got to do what they have to do.

Now, VT slides to the south and ND to the north.

Academics played a large part in FSU joining the ACC. They had the opportunity to join the SEC or ACC, they chose the ACC for academics. The state of Florida has put money into improving FSU. FSU is the most valuable "property" in the ACC. They have been down a few years but they still win. Clemson had been down longer, yet we all think of them as the powerhouse they once were and are this season.

As to the $20MM, chump change in the long run. If FSU wants out, they will make more money in the SEC and pay off the exit fee. They will also likely do so over time, not one shot.

FSU is the only reason I was interested in the ACC. I preferred the Big 10 by far over the ACC. I hope FSU stays, along with Clemson. I have no affinity towards VPI, I wanted ECU in the Big East instead of VPI, so I have never really cared for VPI, if they go, oh-well. Backfill and move on. Besides, once the if the SEC got ahold of them and their panzy scheduling of Beamer Ball (Schiano learned scheduling from Beamer, my opinion) the SEC would have a field day.

Let's say FSU does leave, that puts the ACC at 13. Is it possible that may be the thing that puts the Irish in the ACC? Now the ACC is at 14 and one less team for ND to drive through plus academically it would be a big upgrade trading the 2. I'd love to have FSU stay but they got to do what they have to do.

If anything, losing FSU pushes ND further away. Why would they want to join a conference that has lost one of its football cornerstone programs? Not only that, but losing FSU would devaule the ACC television product.

If ND is joining a conference (still very doubtful) they'd look to join the one that brings the greatest financial value to them.

FSU is the only reason I was interested in the ACC. I preferred the Big 10 by far over the ACC. I hope FSU stays, along with Clemson. I have no affinity towards VPI, I wanted ECU in the Big East instead of VPI, so I have never really cared for VPI, if they go, oh-well. Backfill and move on. Besides, once the if the SEC got ahold of them and their panzy scheduling of Beamer Ball (Schiano learned scheduling from Beamer, my opinion) the SEC would have a field day.

The difference between Beamer ball and Schiano ball is that VT won a lot of big games, not just the pansy games. Like them or not, and I don't, they are perennially ranked in the top 10 at some point each season and they have scheduled a fair amount of very tough OOC games over the last 5+ years.

FSU is a "king" in terms of college football, regardless of how well they have performed over the past half-decade or so. When they were at their peak, late 90s, early 00s they were the only school I know outside of ND that finished in the top 10 favorites in every single sub-region across the country in a TSN-ESPN poll.

No conference wants to lose a "king", and if they do, they certainly don't want to have to replace a "king" with a "knight" or worse yet, an "apprentice". So yes, losing FSU is a big f@#%ing deal.

However, I bet FSU will wait to see what the new TV contracts bring before consider leaving. And if that brings them reasonably closer to SEC schools, the advantages that others have already alluded to here of staying in the ACC will win the day.

Cheers,
Neil

If anything, losing FSU pushes ND further away. Why would they want to join a conference that has lost one of its football cornerstone programs? Not only that, but losing FSU would devaule the ACC television product.

If ND is joining a conference (still very doubtful) they'd look to join the one that brings the greatest financial value to them.

Maybe or possibly it opens up some new dialog and the Irish will have a league with less state schools and more private like themselves. I get what you're saying but from what I gather about ND is that like to control certain aspects and with FSU being gone that would give them a little more pull at the football table, even more than they would have had with FSU there. If they can keep their tv cash cow and since the ACC needs another football school, things may fall into place for them to make even more money. Just thinking out of the box a little here.

My advice for the SEC and Big 10... if you add too many kings to your conference a few of them will be pounded into queens.

The idea that FSU would give up an easy path to a BSC bowl just so they could feel better about being in the best football conference doesn't make sense. It sounds like something the fans would want more than the coaches or the university.