Florida vs. Miami, one week before Labor Day weekend | Syracusefan.com

Florida vs. Miami, one week before Labor Day weekend

Eric15

Living Legend
I love this. Back in the day there was the Kickoff Classic and Pigskin Classic the weekend before Labor Day just to give you a taste of college football before the season really kicks in. But they did away with that in the early 2000s. The past few years there have been a handful of games that weekend before, but they're usually low-level WAC-type games.

And it's basically a guarantee that these teams will have some type of brawl at midfield during exercise warmups before the game.

Florida-Miami football game to open 2019 season one week earlier than originally scheduled

It is good except for the fact that folks who are going (like me) were hoping for a long weekend in Orlando. Now it’s a quick fly in/out from Texas and no time to enjoy the city.

Lol, the only thing to enjoy about August is the start of football season.

I live an hour down the 4. Have no interest in going to a Bucs game until November. End up cooked.

You’ll just have to spend a long weekend in beautiful Lynchburg, VA instead. ;)
Never been in Lynchburg but I do love that drive on I81 through the Schenandoah valley, very scenic. Except for that pit of despair when you get around Blacksburg.

Exactly
This has me thinking - why is it the snowbirds fly south in the winter but the rebels can’t trek north in the summer? In both cases staying indoors is the only alternative.

This has me thinking - why is it the snowbirds fly south in the winter but the rebels can’t trek north in the summer? In both cases staying indoors is the only alternative.
Great question, I'm not quite a snowbird yet but we did spend as much of the summer as we could upstate when my daughter was younger. Now she has summer sports commitments that prevent that.

Nothing quite like a lax tournament in Florida in July to remind you of what hot is.

But I've been down here long enough now that cold is now a high in the 60s and wont go in a pool with water temp below upper 80s.

I loved the old kickoff classic I was at the cuse wisc game in the 90s.

I was best man at a wedding that day or else I would have been there. At least the marriage lasted, but I still should have blown if off and gone to that shellacking! I went to the 1990 kickoff classic when we played USC. It was very cool but we didn’t have much of a chance that night. That was a weird and blah final season under Coach Mac. Two ties, lost to Tulane, Penn State and Miami smacked us. Bowl game was the bright spot. Anyway, I digress, I dig this game in week zero

Interesting. Decent chance we play either of these teams in post season this year. Miami in the ACC championship (did I just type that?), or Florida in the Orange Bowl (holy crap I just did it again)

I knew a guy from Jamaica who would spend his summer vacation in the Adirondacks every year.

I loved the old kickoff classic I was at the cuse wisc game in the 90s.
Yup, ‘97 in Giants Stadium. I was 9 & it was my first “away” SU game. Bussed down, tailgated all morning, & then Kevin Johnson took the opening kickoff to the house sending our section into a frenzy...at that moment I was hooked for life. Great memory.

I’ll also never forget Tebucky Jones absolutely leveling Ron Dayne early, standing over him for a second to make sure he knew it who it was, & then strutting back to the huddle like he owned the place. Completely set the tone for our D shutting Dayne down all day.

Last edited: