Floyd Little on Tom Coughlin | Syracusefan.com

Floyd Little on Tom Coughlin

Orangeyes-I don't want to negative about what Floyd said and maybe Coughlin has changed, but I lived in Sadler with the team for my second semester freshman year-Coughlin was a flaming to non-football players.

I knew Floyd casually and Jim Nance lived next door. Jim was one of the biggest people I ever met-and certainly the strongest, but a teddy bear when out of competition. Jim and I got to be pretty good friends. Both Jim and Floyd were wonderful people.

My true story about Coughlin-1965-As a freshman, your were not allowed to have cars so when I bought my first car to school (my bad I guess-but I'm sure I'm not the only one) I couldn't park in student parking areas-no permit. So when I moved into Sadler I park in a small area across from the entrance of the dorm. I started to find nasty notes under my windshield wiper to move my car or else. Then "this is a jock parking lot so don't park here any more." This was public property and I knew it. The notes were unsigned (chickenshit) but naturally I was concerned.

I didn't know who was writing the notes and I got them daily. Finally I was talking to Jim and showed him the notes and asked him if he knew who might have written them. He read about 4 of them and stopped. He said "yes" I know who wrote these. Jim said "Joe, don't worry about this I'll take care of it tonight."

Well he must have because I parked their the rest of the semester and found no more notes on my car. Before Jim graduated, after he showed up in his new Corvette from the the Patriots bonus money, I congratulated him on his success-then had to ask him, since he was leaving, who wrote the notes. Answer-Tom Coughlin!

Jim hadn't told me during the semester because he felt it would only create more problems, but I kind of knew because he was the only player who I never talked to and for some reason he would glare at me when I saw him. When I asked Jim why he never told me he said "I didn't want to make things worse".

I will be rooting for the Giants this weekend because I am a New Yorker, but I could care less about Coughlin. I do hope he's change though.

Orangeyes-I don't want to negative about what Floyd said and maybe Coughlin has changed, but I lived in Sadler with the team for my second semester freshman year-Coughlin was a flaming to non-football players.

I knew Floyd casually and Jim Nance lived next door. Jim was one of the biggest people I ever met-and certainly the strongest, but a teddy bear when out of competition. Jim and I got to be pretty good friends. Both Jim and Floyd were wonderful people.

My true story about Coughlin-1965-As a freshman, your were not allowed to have cars so when I bought my first car to school (my bad I guess-but I'm sure I'm not the only one) I couldn't park in student parking areas-no permit. So when I moved into Sadler I park in a small area across from the entrance of the dorm. I started to find nasty notes under my windshield wiper to move my car or else. Then "this is a jock parking lot so don't park here any more." This was public property and I knew it. The notes were unsigned (chickenshit) but naturally I was concerned.

I didn't know who was writing the notes and I got them daily. Finally I was talking to Jim and showed him the notes and asked him if he knew who might have written them. He read about 4 of them and stopped. He said "yes" I know who wrote these. Jim said "Joe, don't worry about this I'll take care of it tonight."

Well he must have because I parked their the rest of the semester and found no more notes on my car. Before Jim graduated, after he showed up in his new Corvette from the the Patriots bonus money, I congratulated him on his success-then had to ask him, since he was leaving, who wrote the notes. Answer-Tom Coughlin!

Jim hadn't told me during the semester because he felt it would only create more problems, but I kind of knew because he was the only player who I never talked to and for some reason he would glare at me when I saw him. When I asked Jim why he never told me he said "I didn't want to make things worse".

I will be rooting for the Giants this weekend because I am a New Yorker, but I could care less about Coughlin. I do hope he's change though.
That doesn't surprise me one bit, Tom is all about rules. Read this piece on him New York Giants' Tom Coughlin remembered for nasty style

Wow. Really? A "kid" (age 21-22?) in college leaves notes on your car 'bout not parking in some informally-designated "jock" parking area and you still harbor bad feelings towards the guy 47 years later?
I rode the HS school bus for 3 years on Long Island (1965-1967) with Bill O'Reilly (Fox commentator/talk show host). He was just 15-17 years-old then, but he hasn't change a bit---still an in-your-face, opinionated blowhard. I don't begrudge his success; I respect him for it and wish him greater good fortune.

No heros in Okie's story.

He brings his car to campus in violation of the rules and excuses his behavior by saying other people also did it. The rules don't matter if enough people violate them.

Coughlin apparently thought that the place Okie is parking his car --- that he shouldn't have on campus anyway --- is either formally or informally reserved for athletes.

In this case ---now the champion of the letter of the law --- Okie points out that it was really public parking.

Coughlin's sins are that he left some notes on the car and appeared to be unfriendly.

At Syracuse and in living in NYC working at my first post SU job, I often marvelled at the strange flexible ethics of the NYC natives.

Yes-I knew I was violating a school rule-so I didn't want Coughlin or anyone else reporting it to the school obviously. By the way I believe Coughlin was also a freshman also and DID park his care their also. And yes it was public parking-a small area-and it may have only been Coughlin that only described it as a joke parking lot.
No-I don't have a grudge against him. My problem with the notes was stopped in less than a week. I was just telling a true Coughlin story and pointing out what an he was. No more no less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom