flynn and greene earnings (NBA only) | Syracusefan.com

flynn and greene earnings (NBA only)

Millhouse

Living Legend
Could that be taken as a reason for a freshman to return, if he's not guaranteed to go in the top ten? Some people say a guy should go as soon as he can get into the first round and get the pay clock running, but Flynn made almost double what Greene made, despite spending less time in the league.

Could that be taken as a reason for a freshman to return, if he's not guaranteed to go in the top ten? Some people say a guy should go as soon as he can get into the first round and get the pay clock running, but Flynn made almost double what Greene made, despite spending less time in the league.
half of lots of millions is still lots of millions! opportunity cost says you've gotta take it.

Ask Donte if he thinks he made the right decision today, I am sure he would admit he made a mistake.

Making 5 mil is great, but that can only last you so long, especially with some of the lifestyles that these players live.

half of lots of millions is still lots of millions! opportunity cost says you've gotta take it.
Maybe. I don't think it's as clear cut as that. Maybe Greene comes back and has a higher scoring and rebounding average. Maybe he shows more of a post game. Maybe the added team success (I'm assuming we get at least as far in the tournament as we did Flynn's sophomore year) helps him the way the BET helped Flynn. Maybe he's drafted right next to Flynn and doubles his career earnings. We'll never know.

Ask James Michael McAdoo what happens if you think returning to school will get you from 15-20 into the top 10.
One averaged 6.1 ppg as a freshman. The other 17.7.

That's really not a big deal for Donte...after the government and whoever else gets paid.

I don't get the impression they take the money to bank a nice upper middle class living.

Ask Donte if he thinks he made the right decision today, I am sure he would admit he made a mistake.

Assuming, of course, you can find him ...

Maybe. I don't think it's as clear cut as that. Maybe Greene comes back and has a higher scoring and rebounding average. Maybe he shows more of a post game. Maybe the added team success (I'm assuming we get at least as far in the tournament as we did Flynn's sophomore year) helps him the way the BET helped Flynn. Maybe he's drafted right next to Flynn and doubles his career earnings. We'll never know.
you don't put "maybes" when the alternative is $5MM!! $5MM>maybe ALL THE TIME!

Making 5 mil is great, but that can only last you so long, especially with some of the lifestyles that these players live.

I would really, really like to try it. PLEASE!!! I'll be the board test rat on this project!

well, judging by the youtube videos donte was posting from his basic apartment in Sacramento his rookie season, perhaps he doesn't fall into your lump statement.

well, judging by the youtube videos donte was posting from his basic apartment in Sacramento his rookie season, perhaps he doesn't fall into your lump statement.

His rookie season was a few years ago.

Last I checked he was making mid-six to seven figures (tax-free) playing in China. I won't speak for everyone else, but I bet Dante's financial situation might not be so bad.

Not just tax free. I think your only real costs are food and gas (if you have a car). And with China, you know you are getting paid. The European teams are notorious for not always paying.

Not just tax free. I think your only real costs are food and gas (if you have a car). And with China, you know you are getting paid. The European teams are notorious for not always paying.

I am pretty sure when Donte came to Syracuse he wasn't dreaming of playing in China.

you don't put "maybes" when the alternative is $5MM!! $5MM>maybe ALL THE TIME!
I say "maybe" because we don't know, but it was largely within his control. He had the ability to practice a post game and display that to scouts. He had the ability to work on his shooting and raise his 3 pt% from 34.5% to 40%. We can say with certainty he wouldn't have had the pressure to carry the team that he had his freshman year. We know that AO provided a legitimate post presence he didn't have the year before. Flynn obviously developed his game. Rautins and Devendorf came back from their knee injuries. For the guy in control, it would've been less of a "maybe" and more of a calculated risk. Looking at Flynn may allow us to extrapolate that Donte could have seen the same benefits.

you really want to marginalize a guy with years of nba experience and a long pro basketball career? really, stop it. we only dream we could be so successful at our given careers.

The kid was a mcdonalds all american, he is 6'9 and can shoot the three. I wouldn't call playing in China at the age of 26 a huge success.

you really want to marginalize a guy with years of nba experience and a long pro basketball career? really, stop it. we only dream we could be so successful at our given careers.

I have no more interest in playing basketball in China than I have in being shot with a flaming arrow.

correct. opportunity cost is at an all time high. James Michael Mcadoo cost himself a lot in guaranteed money by staying in school and still wont go down in UNC history.

The kid was a mcdonalds all american, he is 6'9 and can shoot the three. I wouldn't call playing in China at the age of 26 a huge success.

Making $500,000 per year is a pretty good success in my book.

correct. opportunity cost is at an all time high. James Michael Mcadoo cost himself a lot in guaranteed money by staying in school and still wont go down in UNC history.

This argument - well, he would've gotten exposed in the league. He stays 4 years, gets his game and maturity in line and has a better chance of sticking.