Follow Up Poll: Predict Syracuse 2017-2018 Success | Syracusefan.com

Follow Up Poll: Predict Syracuse 2017-2018 Success

With the 2017-2018 Roster Set, Predict SU's season...

• Sweet Sixteen or better

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • First round NCAA Tournament Exit

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • NIT Bound

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Sub .500 and miss the NIT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JazzNC

Starter
I posted a similar poll in early May when the roster was incomplete. At that time we thought we might still land Tucker and or Ayala. The poll yielded a very low opinion of the upcoming season with about 60% having us out of the NCAA's.

As it turns out we have added Thorpe, Dolezaj, and Hughes (who cannot play next season).

Do these additions change your opinion? Gauging the level of optimism, pessimism and realism now. Have at it...

Cmon lets vote! Are Thorpe and Dolezaj enough to sway the results from my earlier poll?

Last edited:
Where's the option for winning the NC 5 years in a row?

Guess that would have to fall in the Sweet Sixteen or better category. Love your optimism! I'm still of the belief we will make the NIT. I'd be ecstatic to make the sweet sixteen because recruiting will become that much harder if we have two consecutive NIT's and the oldest coach in D1.

Go Orange!!!

76% (as compared to less than 40% in the first poll) now have Syracuse making the big dance. I find this very interesting considering at the time of the first poll we were still in contention to land Tucker and Ayala. After that poll closed we did not sign either one (something I said would happen and took heat for).

Since that poll we've landed 3 players:

1. Elijah Hughes who is transferring and cannot play.

2. Marek Dolezaj who is rail thin, who has to adjust to life in a new country, new culture, new language, no family support, and little time to develop chemistry with teamates, become stronger, and learn the zone. I actually like Marek a lot, but I think it is grossly unrealistic to expect much in season one.

3. Gene Thorpe who is another 5th year grad transfer who will provide depth. I suspect he'll be better than Gillon defensively just because he's taller. Our past experience with AW3 and JG proved how hard the zone is to grasp in such a short time. Again, I like him, but I'm not sold he's going to be the PG "stud" others have made him out to be.

So what this poll tells me is that many people are placing a whole lot of hope on MD, who may or may not adjust and be ready in year one. It's also placing a lot of expectations on Geno.

MM, OB, BS and HW were already in place at that time. So this renewed faith/optimism stems from Thorpe and Marek?

Don't get me wrong, I like many of these players. But I think we are at least one year away from being a contender in the ACC and a Tournament team. GT and MD are nice but IMO they are not game changers going into next season. I realize that I'm once again in the minority but I was more optimistic going into 2017 when I posted the original poll than I am now.

Anyhow, I hope I'm wrong and these guys will surprise us. Sometimes when expectations are lower we play better. I'm still holding strong that our ceiling is a sweet sixteen, but am expecting the NIT.

76% (as compared to less than 40% in the first poll) now have Syracuse making the big dance. I find this very interesting considering at the time of the first poll we were still in contention to land Tucker and Ayala. After that poll closed we did not sign either one (something I said would happen and took heat for).

Since that poll we've landed 3 players:

1. Elijah Hughes who is transferring and cannot play.

2. Marek Dolezaj who is rail thin, who has to adjust to life in a new country, new culture, new language, no family support, and little time to develop chemistry with teamates, become stronger, and learn the zone. I actually like Marek a lot, but I think it is grossly unrealistic to expect much in season one.

3. Gene Thorpe who is another 5th year grad transfer who will provide depth. I suspect he'll be better than Gillon defensively just because he's taller. Our past experience with AW3 and JG proved how hard the zone is to grasp in such a short time. Again, I like him, but I'm not sold he's going to be the PG "stud" others have made him out to be.

So what this poll tells me is that many people are placing a whole lot of hope on MD, who may or may not adjust and be ready in year one. It's also placing a lot of expectations on Geno.

MM, OB, BS and HW were already in place at that time. So this renewed faith/optimism stems from Thorpe and Marek?

Don't get me wrong, I like many of these players. But I think we are at least one year away from being a contender in the ACC and a Tournament team. GT and MD are nice but IMO they are not game changers going into next season. I realize that I'm once again in the minority but I was more optimistic going into 2017 when I posted the original poll than I am now.

Anyhow, I hope I'm wrong and these guys will surprise us. Sometimes when expectations are lower we play better. I'm still holding strong that our ceiling is a sweet sixteen, but am expecting the NIT.
My intuition is that the bump from adding Thorpe/Euro has more do with our view of what the staff (JB) thinks of them more so than what we might or might not think about them.

Our staff is far from perfect but on the whole they have been quite good at evaluating talent, even when they don't get their top choice (cough Hak cough). Also their talent evaluation seems to go up even another notch when bringing in transfers.

I don't have super high expectations of this team, but every year a team assembled and coached by JB gets the automatic assumption of being tournament eligible as a default starting point, regardless off my personal view/bias.

My intuition is that the bump from adding Thorpe/Euro has more do with our view of what the staff (JB) thinks of them more so than what we might or might not think about them.

Our staff is far from perfect but on the whole they have been quite good at evaluating talent, even when they don't get their top choice (cough Hak cough). Also their talent evaluation seems to go up even another notch when bringing in transfers.

I don't have super high expectations of this team, but every year a team assembled and coached by JB gets the automatic assumption of being tournament eligible as a default starting point, regardless off my personal view/bias.

I agree that we have a good history of judging transfer talent (WesJ, Mike Gbinje, AW3). In the past when we took those transfers they seemed a little less like settling to me. WesJ joined a very solid team, and Mike Gbinje was a highly rated Duke transfer. Neither were backup plans.

Anyhow, I love your loyalty and optimism. I'm keeping an open mind about a lot of these guys, but I'm not convinced GT and MD obtained so late, are in the same category. I do like MD's long term potential ALOT, just not year one.

We shall see...

I've been reading the posts since we learned that Taurean Thompson will not return. I find it interesting that so many people are now saying that losing a guy who couldn't play defense to save his life will change a team that 44% of you said would make the Sweet 16 or better to one of the worst teams ever.

At that time I was among those who voted that I thought we were a year away, and predicted an NIT appearance. I don't think losing TT will change the team that much.

With all of his antics and rumors of being a poor teammate, maybe we will be better off? Syracuse thrives when the zone is active. No guy, I don't care how offensively gifted he is, belongs on the court if he can't play defense. I'm hoping the new guys will be hungrier. The competition in the front court may be a good thing.

That said, I'm predicting a 17 win season and an NIT, but much bigger things for 2018 if we can close on Carey, and Bazely signs his LOI.

Last edited:
20 votes for SW16 or better?

Who let JLine vote 20 times?

I will be shocked if this team makes the NCAA tournament. That said, I really hope that I am shocked come mid-March.

Outside of Clemson, BC, NC State and Pitt we have the most question marks of any team in the conference.

I think Wake and Georgia Tech are clearly better than us. We will be right around .500 overall.

20 votes for SW16 or better?

Who let JLine vote 20 times?

I will be shocked if this team makes the NCAA tournament. That said, I really hope that I am shocked come mid-March.
I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop 3 games in the non-conference portion of the schedule but I also think they'll make a late push for a tourney bid as the young frontcourt players come around. in a rarity for a JB team, they should be much better February and March than November-January

Pressures on Frank.

Only thing that can really help us, besides a freshman forward coming out and looking NBA read, is having the best guard duo in the ACC or at least top 3.

I've been reading the posts since we learned that Taurean Thompson will not return. I find it interesting that so many people are now saying that losing a guy who couldn't play defense to save his life will change a team that 44% of you said would make the Sweet 16 or better to one of the worst teams ever.

At that time I was among those who voted that I thought we were a year away, and predicted an NIT appearance. I don't think losing TT will change the team that much.

With all of his antics and rumors of being a poor teammate, maybe we will be better off? Syracuse thrives when the zone is active. No guy, I don't care how offensively gifted he is, belongs on the court if he can't play defense. I'm hoping the new guys will be hungrier. The competition in the front court may be a good thing.

That said, I'm predicting a 17 win season and an NIT, but much bigger things for 2018 if we can close on Carey, and Bazely signs his LOI.
Imo Best post in days!!

Yeah, I'm in this camp as well. I'm sure many of us overreacted because it's just ANOTHER issue with the team/program and more drama. I was predicting NIT at best with TT so this isn't that big of a deal, at least for me. I just was very hesitant predicting all of this scoring from TT when he was not guarded last year and probably barely on the scouting report.

Now, chemistry is a powerful thing. Rarely have we seen a grinding/lunch pail type of SU team. I never have in my lifetime. Maybe these kids fit that type of personality and desire which would be a sight for sore eyes. Some extra effort and toughness might be able to overcome some bad shooting nights which could manifest into a couple of extra W's here & there.

Last edited: