Food | Syracusefan.com

Food

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
just ate some rabbit, pretty good i must say, kinda tastes like chicken since theres really nothing else to compare it too. im italian and we eat some not so "normal" stuff sometimes :) anyone else eat stuff that you dont typically find at the grocery store?

Nice! I've made Mario Batali's Roman style rabbit stew/osso buco before. Good stuff. Most stuff at a regular grocery store is garbage.

I've tried a few interesting things... rabbit, pheasant, kangaroo, ostrich, etc. Ostrich is where it's at.

Rabbit is pretty good - only had it overseas though. You can by that at Nichols by the way. The have cow tounge and similar weird stuff also (mostly frozen though).

Had wild boar a few times and bear burgers are very good too.

My mom made a great pheasant dish when my dad hunted. Outside of the occasional piece of shot it was great. Haven't had it in 35 years but it remains a favorite.
Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

I enjoyed goat that I had a few months ago. Not that crazy, but off the beaten path.

There is a place in Queens that has some good burgers. In the last month I've had Buffalo, Bison and Elk. The Buffalo and Bison were very good (they also have ostrich). The Elk is like chewing on a plastic dog toy (not that I've done that before). However I do miss being in Syracuse and being able to get fresh venison jerky from my friends who hunt.
I've had Soon Dae (Pig Intestines) at a Korean restaurant which was surprisingly good.

There is a place in Queens that has some good burgers. In the last month I've had Buffalo, Bison and Elk. The Buffalo and Bison were very good (they also have ostrich). The Elk is like chewing on a plastic dog toy (not that I've done that before). However I do miss being in Syracuse and being able to get fresh venison jerky from my friends who hunt.
I've had Soon Dae (Pig Intestines) at a Korean restaurant which was surprisingly good.

NICE! I've had soon dae too...dated korean chicks in the past.

Lamb brains and cheeks are excellent too. See Anthony Bourdain/No Reservations episode at Kabob Cafe in Queens/Astoria. Awesome little restaurant.

Ostrich, alligator, bison, rattlesnake, rabbit. Good stuff. And at an authentic Chinese wedding - abalone, sea urchin, jellyfish, sea cucumber, and a ton of stuff no one knew what it was. Good stuff too. And yet, I don't like mushrooms.

Ostrich, alligator, bison, rattlesnake, rabbit. Good stuff. And at an authentic Chinese wedding - abalone, sea urchin, jellyfish, sea cucumber, and a ton of stuff no one knew what it was. Good stuff too. And yet, I don't like mushrooms.

Must have been a pimped out wedding. Abalone is excellent and EXPENSIVE!

Must have been a pimped out wedding. Abalone is excellent and EXPENSIVE!
It was. And given the menu, we had to stop and McDonalds on the way home so my wife could get something to eat. :)

i've gotten rabbit in New Orleans. Available in multiple restaurants. Don't forget Eel (Unagi), Squid (love me some calimari!!!), octopus, conch and shark.

i didn't think rabbit really tasted like chicken. It was a bit more gamey. The rattlesnake i had, however, i never would have been able to tell the difference from chicken, if i hadn't seen it in its original form first. I like buffalo/bison and ostrich. Both are better than beef, as far as i am concerned, and supposedly leaner too.

Another show I saw a few months back, I think it was "Man Vs Wild" with Bear Grylls. He was in Africa and was explaining ways to prevent dehydration. He found some elephant dung, hoisted a softball sized clump high over his head and squeezed the "moisture" out into his mouth. That rotted zebra comment I made above was also from his show. Again, he was in Africa and came upon a dead zebra the lions had half eaten. He got his knife out and hacked a piece off (after swatting the flies away)... Yum!

Love frog legs, been meaning to order a lot of the other exotic stuff you guys mention on-line, but the delivery charges are insane if you don't spend hundreds of dollars at once. I like Elk, but I do think I prefer Bison, Beef, and venison over elk, in that order. Love to BBQ and try new things on the grill, so when I am in a bit better financial standing and get some more experience, I'd like to start working with non-traditional meat.

Bare burger?

just ate some rabbit, pretty good i must say, kinda tastes like chicken since theres really nothing else to compare it too. im italian and we eat some not so "normal" stuff sometimes :) anyone else eat stuff that you dont typically find at the grocery store?

I know it's a little cliche but I love foie gras. Grilled is probably my favorite way to have it prepared, but the DB burger at many Daniel Boulud restaurants has foie stuffed into the burger - which is really probably the best hamburger I've had. Rare, always. I had rabbit stuffed with foie at a restaurant a few years ago that was a nice combination.

Bone marrow is my new food obsession. If you're up for a special dining experience, check out Marea in Manhattan. They have a pasta dish of fucilli with red wine braised octopus in a red sauce with bone marrow. One of the best things I've ever ate. Bone marrow as a dipping sauce for french fries is surprisingly awesome.

Sea urchin was a disappointment. It wasn't bad but the texture isn't my favorite for food textures. The orange color was a little off putting. I'd like to try it again though. I was also disappointed with the texture of sweet breads. But I would give them another shot too.

Bare Burger is right. It's only a couple blocks from my apartment.