Football Opener Moves to Friday August 31 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Football Opener Moves to Friday August 31

S.U. has had a few games basketball/football on cbs sports network over the years. I've always just ordered it on game day, and canceled after the game for next to nothing. That was with Time Warner though. Spectrum may be a different story.
Just do a two week trial with YoutubeTV

Actually I'm saving $80-90 a month
The new American Way, or at least the boards way...is pirating cable.

Then bitching about it when it doesn’t go there way.

Saving $$ is 1 thing, I can move all my TVs to roku and save about $60 a month too, but I certainly won’t do it at the expense of good national sports channels, like cbssports network.

I won’t lose a channel. And I’d be gaining easier access to espn3.

All of this will work fine until they actually start enforcing the login limits and people with 3-4-5 tvs running at the same time or sharing accounts will see big jumps in cost that match what they pay for cable and less channels and less ease of use. Rokus and streams are all fine for what they do, but its a huge step down from cable and boxes and eventually the rates will match up and we will be sitting here in a few years paying just as much and getting far less and it will be our fault..

much like phones were great then we switched to cell phones and quality sucks.

All of this will work fine until they actually start enforcing the login limits and people with 3-4-5 tvs running at the same time or sharing accounts will see big jumps in cost that match what they pay for cable and less channels and less ease of use. Rokus and streams are all fine for what they do, but its a huge step down from cable and boxes and eventually the rates will match up and we will be sitting here in a few years paying just as much and getting far less and it will be our fault..

Huge step down? I have 119 stand alone apps to watch pretty much anything I want. I also have sling TV for more channels and have unlimited cloud dvr for free as I was in the beta. Throw in the PlutoTv app which is is totally free, also another new app I came across is go90 that I steam on my chromecast ultra which has been excellent for the CONCACAF socccer games. My cable box sits collecting dust and may only turn it on every now and then if my internet is not performing well.

Last edited:

Mike...it isn't for everyone. There are downsides...but for me as an empty nester it is perfect.

S.U. has had a few games basketball/football on cbs sports network over the years. I've always just ordered it on game day, and canceled after the game for next to nothing. That was with Time Warner though. Spectrum may be a different story.
I bet Dave Ryan will do the PBP...good guy.

Mike...it isn't for everyone. There are downsides...but for me as an empty nester it is perfect.
I get it.. I just consume too much TV to make it work for me.. I like too many shows on too many channels and I like rewinding and I hardly ever start a show on time, especially sports.

I am getting nickled and dimed all over with all the methods I have to watch stuff. But in my discussions with vendors they know all the stuff people are doing to share accounts, and share things illegally, they are tracking it, but until the majority have moved to streaming its not worth cracking down or raising the rates.

I get it.. I just consume too much TV to make it work for me.. I like too many shows on too many channels and I like rewinding and I hardly ever start a show on time, especially sports.

I am getting nickled and dimed all over with all the methods I have to watch stuff. But in my discussions with vendors they know all the stuff people are doing to share accounts, and share things illegally, they are tracking it, but until the majority have moved to streaming its not worth cracking down or raising the rates.
Yeah, the rewinding and pausing on all TVs might be worth the extra $60 a month in boxes.

well-i-didnt-no36b1.jpg

Anytime I changed anything on my cable with Charter, pre Spectrum, they "had" to send a technician out and charged a service fee. One time they told me I had to be there, so I took time off work. I didn't think the guy ever showed up so I called to complain. All he did was open up my box on the outside of my house and flip a switch. I never knew he came and went. Another time I changed service, requiring a different box. They sent a guy to plug in a few AV wires and call the office to activate it, things I had always done myself with TWC or Comcast minus having to call to activate anything, it was always activated as soon as I hooked everything up. It's one of the ways they nickled and dimed me until I got rid of them. That was about 6 years ago. By far the worst cable/satellite experience I ever had.

Cutting the cord is not a downgrade. Over the air is the only true, non compressed hd.(I get 60 channels) I easily get my 4k content on the web.(unavailable elsewhere) Quality wise, it's the only way to get true hd, or 4k. It's a noticeable visual upgrade.
ACC network wasn't available through my other providers, so I pay $80 a year for sling. Beats the $2k+ the cable company wanted, a year. That bought some nice plane tickets for the family.

If I have to pay a couple bucks for the rare cbs sports, an espnu game? I really don't care.

I get unlimited Dvr with PlayStation Vue and YouTube tv is the same. All of the same channels I got with Verizon Fios. Difference is I am saving over $100 per month. No brainer. The savings come from not needing to rent a box and Dvr for all of my TVs.

For my family getting our cable through PlayStation Vue or YouTube tv works just as good, if not better than spectrum/Fios.

I love it!

Telling us so early allows me to clear my schedule and make an extra long weekend around the game.

Friday/Sat in Mich and Sunday/Mon back home for one of the last “pool weekends” for wife and 1yr old. (Yes this will be her first game:))

Last edited:
I love it!

Telling us so early allows me to clear my schedule and make an extra long weekend around the game.

Friday/Sat in Cuse and Sunday/Mon back home for one of the last “pool weekends” for wife and 1yr old. (Yes this will be her first game:))

You know the game is a road game in Kalamazoo? Just want to make sure before you head to Syracuse.

Cutting the cord is not a downgrade. Over the air is the only true, non compressed hd.(I get 60 channels) I easily get my 4k content on the web.(unavailable elsewhere) Quality wise, it's the only way to get true hd, or 4k. It's a noticeable visual upgrade.
ACC network wasn't available through my other providers, so I pay $80 a year for sling. Beats the $2k+ the cable company wanted, a year. That bought some nice plane tickets for the family.

At the risk of further sidetracking - I'm a relative noob to streaming (we have Roku on our 2nd TV, but use Spectrum/TWC for the other main TV and for cable/internet/phone)

What antenna or other device do you use to get OTA content?

You still need somebody to provide your internet service, so that's never not still an expense -
just a lot less, due to not paying for cable TV, correct?

The only thing I really don't like about streaming/Roku the SU games is - it always lags, compared to the cable broadcast - I'm always at least :20-:30 seconds behind, sometimes more (o hai WatchESPN!:rolleyes:).
Is there any way around that, or to overcome that issue?

40$ for FIOS internet. 8 bay bowtie antenna, mounted on roof gets me 70 miles(I'm at sea level). Calculate the loss of your coax and buy a booster to compensate for the DB loss in coax.

The only knock, is you have to check what station the game is on locally, before hand. I missed one last year, because it was on the station owned by the cable company. Would have missed it via my previous satellite, anyway. Local sports bars have gladly turned it on, for the times I went out.(even though I had it at home). It's really not a problem.

I just choose how to spend that $$. This year, it sent my family to an island. Next year, it'll pay for 3 road trips to the dome. That's my preference for spending my entertainment budget, and it's good to have more discretionary income, for the stuff that matters more to me. ;-)

Btw. Satellite also has a lag.

At the risk of further sidetracking - I'm a relative noob to streaming (we have Roku on our 2nd TV, but use Spectrum/TWC for the other main TV and for cable/internet/phone)

You still need somebody to provide your internet service, so that's never not still an expense -

The only thing I really don't like about streaming/Roku the SU games is - it always lags, compared to the cable broadcast - I'm always at least :20-:30 seconds behind, sometimes more (o hai WatchESPN!:rolleyes:).

Just get PlayStation Vue or YouTube tv for cable tv. Works just like Fios/spectrum except you don’t need to rent a box for every tv.

How far are you from the TV antenna farms? Is there terrain issues for you? Line of sight issues?

Generally you need an amplified antenna. Way better to install outside too.

Over the Air (OTA) signals are the best quality and live. Anything streamed will have a lag.

Mine gets me 70 miles, and I'm at sea level. Put it on the roof. Window antennas are very poor, compared. Quality is notably improved over cable/satellite.

I'll get cbs sports network for the wmu game, and keep the almost $2k.

*Amplifier is only to compensate for inherent loss in coax. Doesn't give you more stations.

Last edited:
You know the game is a road game in Kalamazoo? Just want to make sure before you head to Syracuse.
I’m not sure what you mean.

(Although I am grateful for your consideration)