Football Playoff | Syracusefan.com

Football Playoff

TinyManInside

Our only goal will be the western shores.
I haven't read the articles yet, but driving to drop my daughter off this morning, I heard on Steve Czaban's show that the NCAA is likely moving to a playoff system... that didn't really phase me that much until he stated that they're supposedly doing away with automatic qualifiers. Does this put a different light on our move to the ACC?

I think eventually the megaconferences will run their own playoff and that will be the one that counts. And we didn't move because of a playoff or the alck of it.

i read that too.. interesting how that will impact all the realignment. do the conferences get any say? also wondering why they wouldnt go to a 16 team playoff instead to deal with that very issue.

I think eventually the megaconferences will run their own playoff and that will be the one that counts. And we didn't move because of a playoff or the alck of it.

or this... for the conference winners to get the conference title..

I am irritated that Notre Dame gets to have a seat at the table without being in a conference.

I would like to eventually see 8 super conferences of 16 teams. Then have a playoff by region. So for example the ACC would have 4 divisions of 4 then in the conference tournament the division winners would play for the ACC title. Then the conference champions would go to the playoffs by region.

East Region
ACC Champ vs Big East Champ

Midwest Region
B1G Champ vs MAC Champ

South Region
SEC Champ vs CUSA Champ

West Region
P12 Champ vs MWC Champ

Then have a Final Four and NCG. IMO this would be the best for the sport but since it is not the best financially and the NCAA has no balls, we will never see it.

I haven't read the articles yet, but driving to drop my daughter off this morning, I heard on Steve Czaban's show that the NCAA is likely moving to a playoff system... that didn't really phase me that much until he stated that they're supposedly doing away with automatic qualifiers. Does this put a different light on our move to the ACC?

They are doing away with AQ, but I think that should make the Big East more nervous than anyone. No one really knows how it's going to work, but from those that cover college football, the thinking is that 5 conferences will have most of the say in how it works and how the money is divided (the most important part). And we're in one of those 5 conferences now. Everyone had a big ? about where the Big East falls in.

They are doing away with AQ, but I think that should make the Big East more nervous than anyone. No one really knows how it's going to work, but from those that cover college football, the thinking is that 5 conferences will have most of the say in how it works and how the money is divided (the most important part). And we're in one of those 5 conferences now. Everyone had a big ? about where the Big East falls in.

From an on the field standpoint I think this hurts the ACC. The Final Four will likely be 2 SEC teams, a B12 team, and then the best of the P12/B1G. So it takes away our competitive on the field advantage vs the BE.

However we will be getting a lot more money through 1. the TV contract and 2. the playoff money. I see the playoff money going as follows:

-the SEC, B12, B1G, P12, and ACC take out there share
-a share is taken out and awarded to the teams that make the playoffs, with money advancing for how far you go
-the rest of the money is split by everyone else

So being in the ACC we will get a larger amount of the pie even if the ACC puts no teams in the FF. The only worry I have is the point that it makes so much more sense for the 5 BCS conferences if it were instead 4 BCS conferences. Dividing that first part 4 ways vs 5. For the greater good either the B12 or ACC should go away.