"Football renovations" thread got hijacked...... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"Football renovations" thread got hijacked......

Agree. We needed something...this will help. There is no silver bullet here and they can't just focus on one single thing thinking that will make the program. It will take a well orchestrated plan with many tasks. Facilities. Recruiting. Better play on field, fund raising, marketing. In addition, doing better at any one of those things helps the others improve.

Agreed. I like the order of operations that the facilities upgrades are following. Even if we went with a SOTA practice facility first the other things would still be sorely lacking. Manley + upgraded facilities > New practice venue + 1970s facilities.

As painful as the wait is it's better to fund raise vs deficit spend. Hopefully by 2015 all the things are in place and University will owe nothing on them. The closest thing to a silver bullet would be building it all at once and taking on the debt but there is still no gaurentee that the team succeeds and brings enough return (although I'd venture to say recruiting would take a big step as an immediate result). This way the football team will get theirs while the University can stay focused on being an actual University and continue building for the students as well as Athletics.

This can't be. I read on this board that the facilities are fine. We don't need better facilities, we need more entertainment for the fans! Why don't we have someone shooting a loaded potato gun at the elderly during our halftime show? Even better, the wounded would be brought out at halftime to drive in a demolition derby which, by the way, should be streamed for free on Orange All Access.

I also read that kids don't care about facilities. I bet beach coach Saban, OC Bobby Petrino, and DC Bill Belichek could pull in five star recruits here no problem. That 5 million would be best served building chairlifts from my tailgating lot to the Dome. Anything else is silly.

I know you are just grossly exaggerating and embellishing but I don't think anyone has said any of those things in the context of how you say it.

and you should have been. we accepted a bid to the acc last year, we were not headed to 1aa
and how does that change what we need and how we get it???you're right we were not headed to 1aa, we are still headed to 1aa with out improvements---how long do you think we can keep up the charade? thank god dr.goss is the spin docta.

I would bet you that Saban and Belichek could pull 5 star players at SU. The bottom line is that a program has to have something to sell. At Miami, they sell "The U," the glamour of playing for a renegade program (Miami's facilities are for ****). I believe Schellenberger used to sell his local recruits (plethora that there were) on playing for the University of Southern Florida. At places like PSU, Michigan, OSU, they sell tradition, State pride, and of course, facilities. At USC, they again sell the glamour of playing in LA, and the ability to play in pro-systems for pro coaches. Boston College sells academics and religion. Stanford sells elite academics. Oregon sells "cool" and cutting-edge. Coaches like Saban, Miles, Meyer, Spurrier, they sell themselves.

What is Syracuse selling? Improved facilities will certainly help, but they will never get the program over the hump unless there is something else to sell.

I think a unique, high-flying offense would be it. Chip Kelly would have been a great hire.

I graduated from SU 17 years ago.

I held season tickets for 9 years.

I have purchased single-game tix from the university.

I have guest lectured several times back on campus.

I am in every alumni database known to man.

I have traded emails with personnel in the athletic department.

And yet I have never, ever been solicited for fundraising.

This is not to say I haven't given, it just strikes me as poor management that a donor as "obvious" as me has never even been asked.

If the football program needs money for facilities, and I know they do, then their first order of business should be to cultivate a large list to hit up for donations. It's mind-blowing that they seemingly have not.
Your Kidding Right? My Wife Graduated in 1973 and she has been asked for Donations every year sinse.:eek:

I graduated from SU 17 years ago.

I held season tickets for 9 years.

I have purchased single-game tix from the university.

I have guest lectured several times back on campus.

I am in every alumni database known to man.

I have traded emails with personnel in the athletic department.

And yet I have never, ever been solicited for fundraising.

This is not to say I haven't given, it just strikes me as poor management that a donor as "obvious" as me has never even been asked.

If the football program needs money for facilities, and I know they do, then their first order of business should be to cultivate a large list to hit up for donations. It's mind-blowing that they seemingly have not.

Ding ding ding!

My repeated suggestions have been for an upper middle class type donor base...there are hundreds / thousands of potential donords at the 1K-5K clip where a golf shirt, hat (not for Chip) and some ticket access will do the trick.

I'm sure if you called SU they'd be more than happy to take your money.

I'm sure if you called SU they'd be more than happy to take your money.

Yeah, most sales organizations flourish using this approach.

Note: that's sarcasm.

Your Kidding Right? My Wife Graduated in 1973 and she has been asked for Donations every year sinse.:eek:

I meant specifically by the athletic department. My wife and I get hit up for money by the university and our respective schools all the time.

It's baffling that my wife receives solicitations to donate to the school of music several times a year, and yet not once in 17 years has the athletic department asked me to donate. I mean I'm small potatoes I guess, but a couple thousand people donating at what I could give would start to add up.