"Football renovations" thread got hijacked...... | Syracusefan.com

"Football renovations" thread got hijacked......

cto

Administrator
Hey, guys, this $5-million project is a really big deal. We are getting killed with negative recruiting... when opposing coaches sarcastically ask recruits whether they've seen our less-than-stellar facilities (which we literally try to hide from recruits). It has been very difficult raising this $5 million, and Doug Marrone has spent way too much time on it ... but he passionately believes it is necessary. If you care about SU football, contact the Orange Club and chip in a few bucks. I am primarily a basketball fan, but I (along with a number of other folks) gave after hearing Doug's impassioned plea.

We joke sometimes about SU becoming a FCS school (rather than a FBS school) --- or whatever the nomenclature is today -- but that is where we are heading if we don't upgrade those facilities.

CTO My family has been giving towards Syracuse in general and SU sports for decades and we continue to contribute. What is your opinion about the adminstrations commitment to Syracuse football? For my part now that we are in the ACC i hope that they step up. Fundraising is great and should always be part of the foundation however the University has a very strong base and i believe that they also need to step up. I believe that they shouldnt determine capital projects based soley on fundraising. Things are very tight for many of the major donors yet the need is current. For Syracuse to dip into its general fund to make an investment in its future is something that should be done if necessary. For two long we have tried to get by on the cheap. Syracuse needs to enhance its reputation not allow it to shrink. There is very little that we can do as a private institution that can provide the boost that a National athletic reputation provides. I hope that the current administration realizes that regardless of our fundraising success the time is now for these investments to be made. We have the money it should be allocated.

Thanks, CTO! Manley covers the indoor aspect for now, and these other improvements should cover a lot of ground that would go unaddressed if that $5 million were poured into another indoor facility. Hopefully that will come next, but it's important to stop any bleeding (negative recruiting) before we swing for the fence.

CTO My family has been giving towards Syracuse in general and SU sports for decades and we continue to contribute. What is your opinion about the adminstrations commitment to Syracuse football? For my part now that we are in the ACC i hope that they step up. Fundraising is great and should always be part of the foundation however the University has a very strong base and i believe that they also need to step up. I believe that they shouldnt determine capital projects based soley on fundraising. Things are very tight for many of the major donors yet the need is current. For Syracuse to dip into its general fund to make an investment in its future is something that should be done if necessary. For two long we have tried to get by on the cheap. Syracuse needs to enhance its reputation not allow it to shrink. There is very little that we can do as a private institution that can provide the boost that a National athletic reputation provides. I hope that the current administration realizes that regardless of our fundraising success the time is now for these investments to be made. We have the money it should be allocated.
KCSU, you ask good questions. At any given time, the university has multiple proposed capital projects ... e.g., new Law School, new Science Building, new football facility, new library, new student center, new business school, whatever. WIth very few (if any) exceptions, it wants to see what kind of philanthropic response there is before committing school funds to the project. For example, before the Dineen family came up with a naming gift for a new law school facility, that project was going nowhere. Likewise, with the Whitman school of Management and the Melo facility, it took naming gifts from Marty Whitman and Carmelo (with substantial gifts from others in both cases) to get those projects underway. SU is not a rich school by any standard. A huge amount of its funding goes towards scholarship support. It counts on donations to fund the bulk of its capital projects.

KCSU, you ask good questions. At any given time, the university has multiple proposed capital projects ... e.g., new Law School, new Science Building, new football facility, new library, new student center, new business school, whatever. WIth very few (if any) exceptions, it wants to see what kind of philanthropic response there is before committing school funds to the project. For example, before the Dineen family came up with a naming gift for a new law school facility, that project was going nowhere. Likewise, with the Whitman school of Management and the Melo facility, it took naming gifts from Marty Whitman and Carmelo (with substantial gifts from others in both cases) to get those projects underway. SU is not a rich school by any standard. A huge amount of its funding goes towards scholarship support. It counts on donations to fund the bulk of its capital projects.

Well said CTO. The majority of schools SU competes against are state schools who have state budgets to fall back on (not in all cases). If not help from the state, they have a massive alumni base to dip into, which for the majority, dwarfs SU. SU needs the help of its alumni and dedicated fans. Simple, and at the same time complex, as that.

Hey, guys, this $5-million project is a really big deal. We are getting killed with negative recruiting... when opposing coaches sarcastically ask recruits whether they've seen our less-than-stellar facilities (which we literally try to hide from recruits). It has been very difficult raising this $5 million, and Doug Marrone has spent way too much time on it ... but he passionately believes it is necessary. If you care about SU football, contact the Orange Club and chip in a few bucks. I am primarily a basketball fan, but I (along with a number of other folks) gave after hearing Doug's impassioned plea.

We joke sometimes about SU becoming a FCS school (rather than a FBS school) --- or whatever the nomenclature is today -- but that is where we are heading if we don't upgrade those facilities.

This can't be. I read on this board that the facilities are fine. We don't need better facilities, we need more entertainment for the fans! Why don't we have someone shooting a loaded potato gun at the elderly during our halftime show? Even better, the wounded would be brought out at halftime to drive in a demolition derby which, by the way, should be streamed for free on Orange All Access.

I also read that kids don't care about facilities. I bet beach coach Saban, OC Bobby Petrino, and DC Bill Belichek could pull in five star recruits here no problem. That 5 million would be best served building chairlifts from my tailgating lot to the Dome. Anything else is silly.

funny, last year when i said we were headed toward 1aa,i was laughed at.

This can't be. I read on this board that the facilities are fine. We don't need better facilities, we need more entertainment for the fans! Why don't we have someone shooting a loaded potato gun at the elderly during our halftime show? Even better, the wounded would be brought out at halftime to drive in a demolition derby which, by the way, should be streamed for free on Orange All Access.

I also read that kids don't care about facilities. I bet beach coach Saban, OC Bobby Petrino, and DC Bill Belichek could pull in five star recruits here no problem. That 5 million would be best served building chairlifts from my tailgating lot to the Dome. Anything else is silly.
Can someone follow up on that loaded potato gun idea? That one sounds like a winner to me!

Can someone follow up on that loaded potato gun idea? That one sounds like a winner to me!
this would be the new best halftime entertainment idea...taking over the #1 spot from trying to have a fan throw a nerf football 40 yards through a truck window in the endzone for a free car

I don't recall seeing a thread where someone has concluded our facilities are "fine" and need no improvement.

I don't recall seeing a thread where someone has concluded our facilities are "fine" and need no improvement.

Nah just folks referring to it as an "excuse" for why we aren't recruting better. Will be nice to at least have our coaches on a level playing field to recruit with moving forward.

Okay. You've convinced me. I'm sending in my donation. I wish they had levels that urged the little guy to give a little more each year. They go from $125 to $500, then to $1500. I think they'd encourage more giving if the lower levels went in increments of $250.

A couple questions for those in the know... (I checked the Orange Club FAQ page but didn't see either of these answered.)

1. is the Ernie Davis Club no longer? If it still exists, is it a separate donatin from Orange Club?
2. Is a donation to the Orange club tax deductible?

Great post CTO!!

Too many on this board still don't understand that it is not play calling or formations or open spring practices that will make the difference in the Program - it is money.

And we need more and more of it to truly compete.

I hope the people on this board - the most intense supporters will do what they can for the Program.

For a number of years - toward the end of the P era - way too many were under the impression that the facilities were fine - and way too many did not even understand the issue.

As time has passed and as this board has allowed for discussion, many now better understand.

But there are still too many who focus on the wrong issues. Too many still do not truly appreciate the dynamic or the chasm between our program and those of our competition and too many do not recognize the urgency.

CTO's post is a very important one.

I hope that it spreads the word.

Okay. You've convinced me. I'm sending in my donation. I wish they had levels that urged the little guy to give a little more each year. They go from $125 to $500, then to $1500. I think they'd encourage more giving if the lower levels went in increments of $250.

A couple questions for those in the know... (I checked the Orange Club FAQ page but didn't see either of these answered.)

1. is the Ernie Davis Club no longer? If it still exists, is it a separate donatin from Orange Club?
2. Is a donation to the Orange club tax deductible?

The donation is to the Orange Club.

You can direct it to whatever you want to fund, e.g. "Indoor Football Facility"

Chris Gedney and his staff will listen to you and help you.

Yes, it is tax deductible.

Don't the elderly leave at halftime?? Takes too long to get down the hill or get their cars out of the parking lots.

Hey, guys, this $5-million project is a really big deal. We are getting killed with negative recruiting... when opposing coaches sarcastically ask recruits whether they've seen our less-than-stellar facilities (which we literally try to hide from recruits). It has been very difficult raising this $5 million, and Doug Marrone has spent way too much time on it ... but he passionately believes it is necessary. If you care about SU football, contact the Orange Club and chip in a few bucks. I am primarily a basketball fan, but I (along with a number of other folks) gave after hearingDoug's impassioned plea.

We joke sometimes about SU becoming a FCS school (rather than a FBS school) --- or whatever the nomenclature is today -- but that is where we are heading if we don't upgrade
those facilities.

Well said.. What I have been saying for years and can't continued to be ignored. Dome locker rooms and the indoor practice facility are next.. It is a nice project, much needed and a good start but I think the football program needs another 10-12 mil to get where they need to be. Anyone in sales knows it is tough to sell an inferior product.. I think people are nieve to how bad the facilities are and how difficult it is to recruit at Syracuse in the current landscape.. I know I know relationships but still

For a number of years - toward the end of the P era - way too many were under the impression that the facilities were fine - and way too many did not even understand the issue.

As time has passed and as this board has allowed for discussion, many now better understand.

But there are still too many who focus on the wrong issues. Too many still do not truly appreciate the dynamic or the chasm between our program and those of our competition and too many do not recognize the urgency.

CTO's post is a very important one.

I hope that it spreads the word.
but if i admit the facilities are poor, i cant blame P for every goddamn thing under the sun, including this years lax losses.

facilities are fine, P is to blame.

Oh Lord

Dick Clark Orange Football Facility.

While we need the facilities improved, asap, going into the ACC, let's not forget we have a coaching issue as well. 1-9 in November games in the worse AQ conference of them all.

Cheers,
Neil

I graduated from SU 17 years ago.

I held season tickets for 9 years.

I have purchased single-game tix from the university.

I have guest lectured several times back on campus.

I am in every alumni database known to man.

I have traded emails with personnel in the athletic department.

And yet I have never, ever been solicited for fundraising.

This is not to say I haven't given, it just strikes me as poor management that a donor as "obvious" as me has never even been asked.

If the football program needs money for facilities, and I know they do, then their first order of business should be to cultivate a large list to hit up for donations. It's mind-blowing that they seemingly have not.

Completely agree. Just seems like they could do a better job getting the MSG out there. And not just big donors but an outreach to the community... Every bit could help.

I graduated from SU 17 years ago.

I held season tickets for 9 years.

I have purchased single-game tix from the university.

I have guest lectured several times back on campus.

I am in every alumni database known to man.

I have traded emails with personnel in the athletic department.

And yet I have never, ever been solicited for fundraising.

This is not to say I haven't given, it just strikes me as poor management that a donor as "obvious" as me has never even been asked.

If the football program needs money for facilities, and I know they do, then their first order of business should be to cultivate a large list to hit up for donations. It's mind-blowing that they seemingly have not.

I would bet you that Saban and Belichek could pull 5 star players at SU. The bottom line is that a program has to have something to sell. At Miami, they sell "The U," the glamour of playing for a renegade program (Miami's facilities are for ). I believe Schellenberger used to sell his local recruits (plethora that there were) on playing for the University of Southern Florida. At places like PSU, Michigan, OSU, they sell tradition, State pride, and of course, facilities. At USC, they again sell the glamour of playing in LA, and the ability to play in pro-systems for pro coaches. Boston College sells academics and religion. Stanford sells elite academics. Oregon sells "cool" and cutting-edge. Coaches like Saban, Miles, Meyer, Spurrier, they sell themselves.

What is Syracuse selling? Improved facilities will certainly help, but they will never get the program over the hump unless there is something else to sell.

Nah just folks referring to it as an "excuse" for why we aren't recruting better. Will be nice to at least have our coaches on a level playing field to recruit with moving forward.
Agree. We needed something...this will help. There is no silver bullet here and they can't just focus on one single thing thinking that will make the program. It will take a well orchestrated plan with many tasks. Facilities. Recruiting. Better play on field, fund raising, marketing. In addition, doing better at any one of those things helps the others improve.