Footballscoop: It will be Chesney or Mullen | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Footballscoop: It will be Chesney or Mullen

Word may leak out before then, but I would assume that any official announcement won't happen until after the Wake game. Doing it sooner would be a huge distraction to the team and current coaches, who should be completely focused on securing a 6th win against an evenly-matched opponent.

Then the question becomes whether the newly-named coach will be on the sidelines for the (possible) bowl game.

Last edited:
His resume also has ZERO power 4 experience. I feel like I am living in twilight zone having so many people argue for this guy.
I respect this angle. But some of us on the Chesney end, are wondering why anyone would want someone who hasn’t coached recently. Or has coached at Miami and basically went .500 in the ACC. Or someone who came from the Babers tree. Every option can be picked apart.

Mac came from Umass. P came here via W Connecticut State. If it’s Chesney, hope that he is of that caliber.

I respect this angle. But some of us on the Chesney end, are wondering why anyone would want someone who hasn’t coached recently. Or has coached at Miami and basically went .500 in the ACC. Or someone who came from the Babers tree. Every option can be picked apart.

Mac came from Umass. P came here via W Connecticut State. If it’s Chesney, hope that he is of that caliber.
No one here has any idea of Chesney and the impact he would have at Syracuse.

The sugar high is Mullin who may not have any incentive to get back on the 18 hour work day hampster wheel w the money paid out to him.

Chesney is the best choice if we want to see how hard work, community buy in and energy does to this program.

We are delusional sometimes. I’d love Mullin but it’s conditioned that he’s all in too . I don’t want a lazy caretaker

I've been a little critical of Mullen but after thinking more it seems dealing with Florida boosters and everything that comes with that must really be miserable. He's proven he can succeed at a place that's tough to win, in the SEC West of all divisions.

These are the two best options from this group of candidates and I'll be happy with either. The fact Mullen is a possibility is pretty incredible. We'd have instant credibility.

The difference between Mullen & Chesney is that one will be a "draw" for quality staff and portal transfers, whereas the other might be energetic & charismatic, but ultimately unable to close on 4 star recruits, while Mullen probably can, even at Syracuse. There's a built-in credibility factor with Mullen.

Two years away to count your money, see your grandkids, go fishing. But after 2 years, I would still want to give it one more go. This is a low risk spot for him, and high reward. ACC gets into the playoffs, and there are enough good teams to get national exposure for who you play.

Two years away to count your money, see your grandkids, go fishing. But after 2 years, I would still want to give it one more go. This is a low risk spot for him, and high reward. ACC gets into the playoffs, and there are enough good teams to get national exposure for who you play.

And - he wouldn’t get canned for one losing season, like he did at UF.

Assuming one of Clempsum or FSU is the top dog in any given year, it’s not hard to envision Cuse as competing for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th spot pretty consistently, if you’re a coach as good as Mullen is.

The B1G and $€¢ are both meatgrinders in this new, post-realignment landscape.

ACC is a much easier path to get a potential playoff slot.

And - he wouldn’t get canned for one losing season, like he did at UF.

Assuming one of Clempsum or FSU is the top dog in any given year, it’s not hard to envision Cuse as competing for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th spot pretty consistently, if you’re a coach as good as Mullen is.

The B1G and $€¢ are both meatgrinders in this new, post-realignment landscape.

ACC is a much easier path to get a potential playoff slot.

I saw that one post showing Mullen speaking with Orgeron in New Hampshire the other day. I saw a post in this thread talking about Addazzio and Orgeron on staff. Seems more a fantasy than reality, but if we really ARE serious about "coming back", we really need to embrace ALL of our assets as a program, from all eras of players, coaches and supporters.

No one here has any idea of Chesney and the impact he would have at Syracuse.

The sugar high is Mullin who may not have any incentive to get back on the 18 hour work day hampster wheel w the money paid out to him.

Chesney is the best choice if we want to see how hard work, community buy in and energy does to this program.

We are delusional sometimes. I’d love Mullin but it’s conditioned that he’s all in too . I don’t want a lazy caretaker
That's why I'm leaning toward Chesney. Good coaches can coach anywhere. I think this guy will outwork any other coach on our list.

And imagine how much he will be looking forward to recruiting players he had no shot at landing at his previous stops. Like a kid in a candy store.

Mac came from the Cleveland Browns, but, yes, he was HC at a small NE program.

Thanks for the clarification! Not sure what it was when he coached there but looks like a D3 school currently.
Ben was at Muhlenburg for I think two or three years after the war - 1946-48?

He won a lot of games and went bowling.

He had very strong teams

Them asking Mullin about the SU job on the BC broadcast was pretty funny. he didnt deny though

What I KNOW:

1. Mullen was NOT on campus this week.

2. Neither was Ed O

3. Chesney attractive but no FBS experience.

4. Re-treads (Stoutland, Addazio, etc) not gonna get it.

5. HCDM pushing for Bill O’Brien but BOB not as interested.

Hcdm huh...lol

Brian Kelly coached at Assumption and Grand Valley State before he got the head job at Central Michigan.

Lance Leipold coached at Wisconsin-Whitewater before Buffalo.

Jim Tressel at Youngstown State before Ohio State.

Our very own Ben Shwartzwalder coached at a place called Muhlenburg before Syracuse.

I had the same reservations about him at first. But then you realize other guys have been very successful coming from small schools. It can and has happened.

Muehlenberg was actually a small school powerhouse of sorts in coal mining Pennsylvania.

I seem to recall a story from a football book I read as a kid called 'Strange But True Football Stories". It had the Notre Dame kick after the game should have ended, and it also had a story about Muehlenberg.

What happened was that the school unexpectedly lost their coach; health reasons, sudden resignation, I forget. But the school president wound up stepping in and coaching the game. I remember a couple details.

The coach used to always start the game off with a running play, and the University President always wished he would mix it up more. So on the first play from scrimmage, they faked their run up the middle and threw a bomb for a touchdown. I believe they won the game in the absence of the usual coach.

P.S. - Old Ben coached there and went 25-5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom