For ACC/Clemson Fans Questioning Syracuse's Tradition | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

For ACC/Clemson Fans Questioning Syracuse's Tradition

Sigh. This is the third time I've said this, but read back again.

Also, we had a bit tougher competition than you. We regularly get paired up with SEC opponents (Alabama, TN, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, SCAR to name a few). Your last ten years were in a Big East that hasn't been the same since the last ACC exodus.

Also, none of this changes the initial point: Syracuse is a basketball school the last 20 years. You barely managed to get 49k fans to show up in your dingey dome. Half of you seem to have basketball avatars. Your basketball forums on here are more active.

Some more fun. 2012 average attendance for the ACC:
NCFXO34.png

Look what company you're in. Basketball land. How about nationally, regardless of conference?

JlcLlTZ.png

Hmm. Looks like a bunch of basketball schools for the most part.

Clemson is known more as a football school because relatively speaking, their football program is so much better than their basketball program. However, historically speaking, Clemson's football program hasn't done much relative to the main football programs in the nation (Alabama, Texas, etc.).

Syracuse is known more as a basketball school right now because our basketball program is so strong. However, Cuse is one of the few schools in the nation that can lay claim to having historical significance in both sports. Cuse's football program has the stats to back up the claim of football significance (first African-American Heisman winner, National Championship, College HoFers, Pro HoFers, etc.).

None of this changes the fact that Syracuse is a basketball school joining a conference that is becoming more football oriented. I think you guys are in for a rude awakening this season and the next few. I keep seeing fans on here writing BC off and poo-poo'ing Maryland (and even NC State), but in all honesty: I think you're going to be competing with the Wakes and the Dukes rather than the VTs and the GTs and the FSUs and the BCs/Wakes/States.

Scroll back a few posts, TrickySU, you're just repeating what has already been said. We're not comparing e-peens here. The original point was that Syracuse is considered a basketball school (nationally), and the point stands. You are in the ACC because Swofford wanted to beef up basketball and we didn't have NY covered yet. There's no sense comparing two recently mediocre football teams, as it has no relevancy to that conversation.

Actually I think Swofford wanted to add a great academic institution which excels at many sports (Basketball, Lacrosse, Field Hockey, Soccer, etc.) and has a football team with a rich tradition and a team that has put a much improved product on the field lately.

Then you put attendance up as if that has anything to do with whether you're a football or basketball school. Football school's normally have better attendance, but in the 90's you could consider us more of a football school and the attendance was still in the upper 40,000's.

My main reason for putting the yearly records up was as a point to the numerous Clemson fans who talk about how great of a team they had this decade. News flash...you were slightly above average, not amazing. I know you're a national contender now, but so was Baylor and Oklahoma State a few years ago. Where are they now? I'm interested to see how you guys do when the likes of Tahj Boyd and Sammy Watkins are gone.

Scroll back a few posts, TrickySU, you're just repeating what has already been said. We're not comparing e-peens here. The original point was that Syracuse is considered a basketball school (nationally), and the point stands. You are in the ACC because Swofford wanted to beef up basketball and we didn't have NY covered yet. There's no sense comparing two recently mediocre football teams, as it has no relevancy to that conversation.

I don't know what original point you're talking about. This was your first post in this thread:
"I'm not saying Clemson is some football powerhouse, and I don't think we have earned our top 5 ranking this year, but let's be real: You haven't been relevant for years. We have at least been in the conversation, much like GT, Miami, FSU, VT have been."

And it was preceded by you saying that Syracuse between 1993-2003 wasn't much better than 2004-2012. You couldn't be more wrong. It was like night and day. So please get your facts straight before posting. Yes Syracuse is known more as a basketball school. We all know that. It's nothing new. The title of the thread is "For ACC/Clemson Fans Questioning Syracuse's Tradition" not anything to do with whether Syracuse is a football or a basketball school.

OrangeDW said it best:
The 10 years before that weren't much better??? They were better than Clemson's, I'll tell you that much.

Wow. A perennial 8-4 at best type of team known for choking, finally has a breakthrough season and you talk like you're 11-2 every year or something.

When people hear Clemson they don't think football, they think Klempson. You aren't even close to being the best football school in your state and USC hasn't been good until the Ole Ball Coach got their.

Klempson is irrelevant in all sports. The rest of the ACC is going to be fun to develop rivalries with. Klempson is still hoping the SEC will come along some day and take them in. But, they couldn't compete there on a week in week out basis.

So just go back to your moonshine and move on.

What are you saying? You've done nothing this decade, and you've got to go back 12 years to find a 10-win season.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but you guys aren't known as a football school as far as the BCS era is concerned. You're a basketball school, and that's OK. You don't need to try to puff out your chest.

On a side note, I'm not claiming that we've been particularly awesome the last 20 years, either. However, when people hear Clemson, they think football. It is who we are, and basketball is who you are (in the BCS era).
eop

When people hear Clemson they don't think football, they think Klempson. You aren't even close to being the best football school in your state and USC hasn't been good until the Ole Ball Coach got their.

Klempson is irrelevant in all sports. The rest of the ACC is going to be fun to develop rivalries with. Klempson is still hoping the SEC will come along some day and take them in. But, they couldn't compete there on a week in week out basis.

So just go back to your moonshine and move on.

eop
And a gamecock has found your board...sorry about that guys.

And a gamecock has found your board...sorry about that guys.
No, I'm an SU fan. But, all my friends from S. Caro are USC fans. Klempson fans I've met are mostly mouthbreathers and knuckledraggers.

I've actually got friends who are alums of every other school in the ACC. Klempson is the outlier. Go Noles!.

698-497-49 is all I saw.

That's a winning tradition.

What are you saying? You've done nothing this decade, and you've got to go back 12 years to find a 10-win season.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but you guys aren't known as a football school as far as the BCS era is concerned. You're a basketball school, and that's OK. You don't need to try to puff out your chest.

On a side note, I'm not claiming that we've been particularly awesome the last 20 years, either. However, when people hear Clemson, they think football. It is who we are, and basketball is who you are (in the BCS era).

We've produced grade A level NFL talent, and won bowls.

I'll take it. Seeing as I was granted an NCAA basketball National Championship as well.

We also beat the piss out of Geno and Teddy :D