For ACC/Clemson Fans Questioning Syracuse's Tradition | Syracusefan.com

For ACC/Clemson Fans Questioning Syracuse's Tradition

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/sp...all-time-biggest-producers-of-nfl-talent.html

Syracuse ranks 24th for most NFL players produced all time.

The only other ACC schools on the list (25) are Pittsburgh, Miami and FSU.

Syracuse is also tied 6th in the NCAA with Alabama for most NFL Hall of Famers produced. The only other ACC schools in the top ten are Pittsburgh and Miami.

http://www.nfl.com/photos/0ap1000000206758

Syracuse's HOF's include: Jim Brown, Jim Ringo, Larry Czonka, John Mackey, Al Davis, Art Monk and Floyd Little.

If talent and professional legacy isn't an acceptable measure of a schools great tradition I don't know what is.

http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/sp...all-time-biggest-producers-of-nfl-talent.html

Syracuse is also tied 6th in the NCAA with Alabama for most NFL Hall of Famers produced. The only other ACC schools in the top ten are Pittsburgh and Miami.

Syracuse's HOF's include: Jim Brown, Jim Ringo, Larry Czonka, John Mackey, Al Davis, Art Monk and Floyd Little.

If talent and professional legacy isn't an acceptable measure of a schools great tradition I don't know what is.

Yeah, but we don't spell our name after every TD and we don't have a magical rock.

Neat! Those are facts that definitely were not relevant yesterday afternoon.

Reading comprehension is a very good thing to learn. Do you understand the point being made?

Nor was your tradition relevant when we plastered you in the gator bowl.

Nor was your tradition relevant when we plastered you in the gator bowl.
Yes, that Gator Bowl was a hell of a blowout! I'll have to remember to come back in basketball season after Syracuse beats Clemson to remind you of the 2007 NIT, and really put you in your place.

This is why we don't take you seriously:
tszQZ3k.png

I'm sure you know this, but that's awful. The ten years before that weren't much better. Your National title was back in 1959.

I'm not saying Clemson is some football powerhouse, and I don't think we have earned our top 5 ranking this year, but let's be real: You haven't been relevant for years. We have at least been in the conversation, much like GT, Miami, FSU, VT have been.

tszQZ3k.png

I'm sure you know this, but that's awful. The ten years before that weren't much better. Your National title was back in 1959.

I'm not saying Clemson is some football powerhouse, and I don't think we have earned our top 5 ranking this year, but let's be real: You haven't been relevant for years. We have at least been in the conversation, much like GT, Miami, FSU, VT have been.
1991 - 10-2 #11
1992 - 10-3 #6
1993 - 6-4-1
1994 - 7-4
1995 - 9-3 #19
1996 - 9-3 #21
1997 - 9-4 #21
1998 - 8-4 #25
1999 - 7-5
2000 - 6-5
2001 - 10-3 #14
2002 - 4-8

What are you saying? You've done nothing this decade, and you've got to go back 12 years to find a 10-win season.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but you guys aren't known as a football school as far as the BCS era is concerned. You're a basketball school, and that's OK. You don't need to try to puff out your chest.

On a side note, I'm not claiming that we've been particularly awesome the last 20 years, either. However, when people hear Clemson, they think football. It is who we are, and basketball is who you are (in the BCS era).

In the BCS era, that is true. Unfortunately now you're coming across like a typical Rutgers fan who thinks that football history only goes back a decade. Yes, SU is trying to dig itself out of their worst era in it's history. That, however, does not erase the 9 college hall of famers (not including coaches) and 7 pro football hall of famers who came before. It's part of the school's complete history. When people think of Clemson football of recent years, they think of good, not great football. Let's not over sell yourself too much. Granted, we'd much rather be in your shoes from a football perspective at the present moment.

What are you saying? You've done nothing this decade, and you've got to go back 12 years to find a 10-win season.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but you guys aren't known as a football school as far as the BCS era is concerned. You're a basketball school, and that's OK. You don't need to try to puff out your chest.

On a side note, I'm not claiming that we've been particularly awesome the last 20 years, either. However, when people hear Clemson, they think football. It is who we are, and basketball is who you are (in the BCS era).
The BCS era ends this year, and lets see what the next 10 years turns out to be, as the saying goes, " everything is on the wheel". Go out and win the National Championship, that will help make the ACC a football conference, which is what we all want to see. This is a football board, and even though I'm also a basketball fan, take that talk over to the basketball board.

We definitely haven't been great, and I think 99% of Clemson fans are going to openly admit that to you. That said, our identity is a football school, and our fans have been up our administration's asses to get them to fix this. We fired our last head coach (who had done a good but not great job) out mid-season. Dabo had to axe one of his better friends in his second year or he was next. There are expectations here, and there is fan support and the money to back it up. The only thing that has been missing is the Athletic Director (who is no longer our AD) and the Board of Trustees had neutered football (and still have artificially inflated admissions standards) in favor of academics to the extreme that it was hurting us. There's a balance to achieve there, and we're doing a better job of it the last 5 years.

College football is all about "what have you done for me lately", and that is what makes Syracuse a basketball school. You've got a storied football tradition if you go way back, but so do many others that currently suck. Ourselves included. We haven't reached the promise land, and we haven't done squat.

The BCS era ends this year, and lets see what the next 10 years turns out to be, as the saying goes, " everything is on the wheel".
And it can't end soon enough. Perhaps it brings with it some better examples of SEC teams getting stomped on.

. That, however, does not erase the 9 college hall of famers (not including coaches) and 7 pro football hall of famers who came before. It's part of the school's complete history.
Old people who will die soon are very impressed.

We definitely haven't been great, and I think 99% of Clemson fans are going to openly admit that to you. That said, our identity is a football school, and our fans have been up our administration's asses to get them to fix this. We fired our last head coach (who had done a good but not great job) out mid-season. Dabo had to axe one of his better friends in his second year or he was next. There are expectations here, and there is fan support and the money to back it up. The only thing that has been missing is the Athletic Director (who is no longer our AD) and the Board of Trustees had neutered football (and still have artificially inflated admissions standards) in favor of academics to the extreme that it was hurting us. There's a balance to achieve there, and we're doing a better job of it the last 5 years.

College football is all about "what have you done for me lately", and that is what makes Syracuse a basketball school. You've got a storied football tradition if you go way back, but so do many others that currently suck. Ourselves included. We haven't reached the promise land, and we haven't done squat.

That 1st paragraph describes us - except we have a good AD.

At the moment you guys are up and we're okay in football. We're near always up in basketball and you are down.

Other than that our football history is very similar except we've churned out better players who made it the HOF. And we had a Heisman winner. Out basketball histories are very, very different. But that's okay, because you are a football school.

tszQZ3k.png

Clemson Tigers
1991 9-2-1
1992 5-6
1993 9-3
1994 5-6
1995 8-4
1996 7-5
1997 7-5
1998 3-8
1999 6-6
2000 9-3
2001 7-5
2002 7-6
2003 9-4
2004 6-5
2005 8-4
2006 8-5
2007 9-4
2008 7-6
2009 9-5
2010 6-7
2011 10-4
2012 11-2

You guys have only been somewhat recently relevant since 2011. Look at the records since 1991, and only a 6-12 bowl record during that time. Not great. Syracuse is 8-3 in bowls during that same stretch. Now you've had some recent success, and you have some tradition in the past, but 1 conference title and 2 10 win seasons since 2000 is nothing to brag about. Better than us? Yes, but again not amazing.

Yeah, if we're going back far enough, we had THE Heisman coach at Clemson. But that doesn't help us now :)

And it can't end soon enough. Perhaps it brings with it some better examples of SEC teams getting stomped on.
Yes if you look at how the BCS was set up, and then looked at the out of conference scheduling, the whole system was set up for the SEC to be the best conference. How many games do they play each year against the sun belt, and always they scheduled, or had a bye week before the inter conference rivalry week. We don't need to be scheduling teams like Penn St, and Northwestern to start the season, the ACC will be tough enough, schedule wins like the SEC, get ranked then even when you lose you don't drop. Schedule wins get to a bowl, win the bowl, makes the ACC look good, the league gets better recruits, and by winning, League perception improves.

Clemson Tigers
You guys have only been somewhat recently relevant since 2011. Look at the records since 1991, and only a 6-12 bowl record during that time. Not great. Syracuse is 8-3 in bowls during that same stretch. Now you've had some recent success, and you have some tradition in the past, but 1 conference title and 2 10 win seasons since 2000 is nothing to brag about. Better than us? Yes, but again not amazing.
Scroll back a few posts, TrickySU, you're just repeating what has already been said. We're not comparing e-peens here. The original point was that Syracuse is considered a basketball school (nationally), and the point stands. You are in the ACC because Swofford wanted to beef up basketball and we didn't have NY covered yet. There's no sense comparing two recently mediocre football teams, as it has no relevancy to that conversation.

tszQZ3k.png

The 10 years before that weren't much better??? They were better than Clemson's, I'll tell you that much.

Wow. A perennial 8-4 at best type of team known for choking, finally has a breakthrough season and you talk like you're 11-2 every year or something.

Clemson Tigers
1991 9-2-1
1992 5-6
1993 9-3
1994 5-6
1995 8-4
1996 7-5
1997 7-5
1998 3-8
1999 6-6
2000 9-3
2001 7-5
2002 7-6
2003 9-4
2004 6-5
2005 8-4
2006 8-5
2007 9-4
2008 7-6
2009 9-5
2010 6-7
2011 10-4
2012 11-2

Yup. Relevant he last two years. Congrats.