Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
liberace_2572685k.jpg

Welcome to Liberace Day!

Władziu Valentino Liberace[1][nb 1] (May 16, 1919 – February 4, 1987), mononymously known as Liberace, was an American pianist, entertainer and singer.

A child prodigy and the son of working class immigrants, Liberace enjoyed a career spanning four decades of concerts, recordings, television, motion pictures, and endorsements.

At the height of his fame, from the 1950s to the 1970s, Liberace was the highest-paid entertainer in the world,[4] with established residencies in Las Vegas, and an international touring schedule. Liberace embraced a lifestyle of flamboyant excess both on and off stage, acquiring the sobriquet "Mr. Showmanship".

Liberace was recognized during his career with two Emmy Awards, six gold albums and two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

SU News

19674718-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse Basketball Team Looking Forward to Some Much-Needed Time Off (PS; Waters)

On Tuesday night, the Syracuse Orange played its 11th game in 35 days. All of those games were against ACC competition.

The arduous run ended with three games in six days as the Orange hosted Notre Dame last Thursday, Georgia Tech on Saturday and Virginia Tech on Tuesday night. To top it off, the Orange needed overtime before ending Virginia Tech's upset bid.

"This has been a tough week, a tough four-game stretch,'' Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said after his team's 69-60 overtime win over Virginia Tech. "Everybody's tired. I know I need a couple days off, for sure.''

Syracuse will get some much-needed time off before its next game. After playing a schedule that would rival any NBA team's schedule, the Orange will have eight days off before hosting Florida State at the Carrier Dome on Thursday, Feb. 11.

VcGWBZlP_400x400.jpg

Tyler Lydon, Ditch 'Rico' and Embrace Your Destiny (TNIAAM; Wall)

After a thrilling win last night, Syracuse Orange fans have learned that Tyler Lydon is serious about that mustache, but I think he's making the wrong facial hair choice.

The Syracuse Orange are turning their season around and the play of Tyler Lydon has been one of the keys. Lydon's play isn't the only thing attracting attention, as his mustache "Rico" has become a topic of discussion. The mustache has even spawned it's own Twitter account

I know superstition says not to mess with a good thing, but I'm going to have to side with Michael Gbinije on this one- it's not a good-looking mustache at all. That's why I am here to advocate Tyler Lydon to embracea Syracuse tradition and bring back the Thin Beard. Not to be confused with the Neck Beard of Trevor Cooney, the thin beard holds a special place in modern Syracuse history.

Maybe you remember someone earlier starting the tradition, but to me credit first goes to Otis Hill. In the mid-90s, Otis made the Thin Beard a crucial accessory during the 1996 Final Four run.

Syracuse Basketball Facing Crucial Stretch (isportsweb.com; Johnson)

It seems like forever ago that Syracuse Basketball faced allegations regarding the ever infamous Fab Melo. This year Syracuse is once again eligible to make the tournament. Needless to say, they’re getting it done in nail-biting fashion that has increased interest all throughout the year.

With a .500 record in the Atlantic Coast Conference, it’s making their season more compelling to watch, with fans hoping that Syracuse basketball has enough talent on their roster to make it to the big tournament. Being on the last four in and last four out lists recently makes every game count for Coach Jim Boeheim’s bunch, making every game a playoff game for the tournament hungry squad Compared with recent Syracuse squads this year’s team scores in very different ways. In only 23 games the team has knocked down 203 three-pointers (nearly 50 more than all of last year), bringing die-hard fans to remember the glory days with Gerry McNamara and Eric Devendorf.

Michael Gbinije has quickly become a prolific scorer averaging 17 points a game and making a name for himself in the strongly touted ACC. Gbinije has become more of an all around player and team leader in points, assists and steals. Not only is Gbinije leading the team in steals but he’s leading the entire ACC in swipes.

ACC News

Notre Dame Ripped By Miami 79-70 (onefootdown.com; Schu)

A little less than a week ago, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish basketball team went north to Syracuse and failed to ever get in to the game. Much of the story Wednesday night was the same, only the setting changed as the Irish were blown out in Coral Gables. Winning on the road is challenging in the ACC, and Jim Larranaga's Hurricanes were favored heading in to the contest, but you can certainly forgive Irish fans who miss last year's road dogs (dawgs?). Mike Brey's team struggled against a very beatable Miami team. Most importantly, Wednesday night provided potent ammunition for those doubting Notre Dame's ability to defend effectively during the "back 9" of the ACC schedule.

Granted, it was hard to completely follow the game during the NBA Draft promotion that ran incessantly thought the ESPN broadcast. However, even without any high-quality "expert analysis" it was obvious to all that Notre Dame is struggling to provide even mild resistance on the defensive end. Miami shot a blistering 62% eFG from the floor. With just a small amount of patience, the Hurricanes could work their way into a wide open three point attempt or lob dunk. Whether it was what passed for man-to-man or zone, it really didn't matter, Miami found a way to score the ball. On the other end, The Irish could hardly buy a basket. There were innumerable layups and open looks that wouldn't go down. For only the third time this season, Notre Dame shot less than 50% eFG. The vicious cycle began to churn and suck the Irish under. When shots stop falling, the defensive energy drops, and then the offense starts to press instead of flow, and things just go down the tubes. The nine point final margin wasn't at all indicative of how thoroughly Notre Dame was defeated by Miami.

usa-today-9092867.0.jpg

ACC Roundup - Can Deacs Wake Up? (dukebasketballreport.com; King)

You know, Wake's season has gone off the rails and the revival of Wake Forest basketball has been delayed. It's still coming though.

Danny Manning is working on the foundation first, which is smart and necessary, and part of that is telling his players stuff like this:"Nobody cares about our pain. Nobody cares what we’re feeling. We’ve got to change it ourselves. That’s what I told them. We’ve got to change it ourselves. Every possession we’ve got to have that same mentality. Every possession when we're playing the game on Saturday. They should feel the sting of losses that we didn't play as well in the second half as we did in the first half. That's something that should be a constant reminder to you as a competitor -- you know `I don't like this feeling, I don't want to feel this again, what can I do not to feel this way? And that's the message because, if those young men in that locker room, (if) the only kind of adversity they have is in basketball games right now, then they're going to have a charmed life. But that's not life. So you've got to continue to grind and continue to fight, and that's what we talked about."

Other

imrs.php

Alex Purdy

Syracuse Student's Viral Video: Why I Left My Sorority (washingtonpost.com; Svrluga)

A Syracuse University senior who left her sorority made a video about her experiences there that has sparked a national debate about Greek life and how women treat one another.

After playing basketball all through high school in Bethesda, Alex Purdy said she rushed as a freshman because she thought a sorority might provide the same sort of belonging and friendship she had enjoyed on a team.

But the experience seemed a little … empty.

[A Harvard fraternity made a glittery, slo-mo, puppy-filled parody of sorority recruitment videos]

She said that instead of promoting leadership, kindness and intelligence, sorority members encouraged each other to dress “sluttier” at a formal so the guys would like them, talked about dropping weight-loss products into a new member’s basket and, when describing the type of sister they didn’t want, used a vulgar term for a certain kind of overweight person. Purdy decided to leave the sorority — which she chose not to name — last semester, and she called for a change to Greek life, a return to its good intentions.

The biggest problem, she said, was “the overwhelming lack of compassion for one another.”

Her video, which was viewed nearly 40,000 times within a few days of its posting and was echoed in social media with the hashtag #SororityRevamp, touched on an ongoing debate on many campuses.

Last edited: