Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
banner-wrd2.png

Welcome to National Wear Red Day!

Let’s unite to prevent heart disease and stroke.
Heart disease and stroke kill 1 in 3 women, yet it’s 80% preventable.
Help us raise awareness to end this killer of women.

Make a change on National Wear Red Day and all year long!

Wear Red to show your support for saving women’s lives
Show us how you Go Red on your social media profiles using #GoRed
Donate to help raise funds for awareness and research

SU News

-095b894e23161f0d.jpg

SU Basketball Assistants Hit Recruiting Trail During Orange's Long Layoff (PS; Waters)

The Syracuse basketball team might be off for eight days between games, but that just means more work for the Orange's assistant coaches.

Syracuse played Virginia Tech on Tuesday and won't play again until hosting Florida State next Thursday. The Syracuse assistants are looking to take advantage of the unusually long gap between games by hitting the recruiting trail.

On Wednesday, Syracuse assistant coach Mike Hopkins traveled to New Jersey where he checked in on Class of 2016 commit Tyus Battle, a senior at St. Joseph's High School in Metuchen, N.J. Battle's father, Gary, said that Hopkins watched St. Joseph's practice.

Battle, a 6-6 guard, is currently averaging 20.5 points, 7.1 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game. St. Joseph's has a 13-2 record and is No. 9 in nj.com's boys basketball poll.

Hopkins then zipped over to catch the end of practice at Roselle (N.J.) Catholic where he could see Class of 2018 target Naz Reid, according to Roselle Catholic coach Dave Boff.

This weekend, Hopkins and Gerry McNamara are expected to attend the National Prep School Invitational at Rhode Island College in Providence, R.I.

The NPSI runs Thursday through Sunday and boasts a lineup of some of the top prep school teams in the United States and Canada.

Hopkins and McNamara will get to see 2016 commit Matthew Moyer when his South Kent (Conn.) Prep team takes on New Hampton (N.H.) Prep at 6:30 p.m. on Friday.

02.04.cheer.jpg

The Man Who Wields the Giant S Flag at Syracuse (esf.edu)

The thrill of being "the Big S" is Taylor Della Rocco's favorite part of being a member of the Syracuse University cheer team.

"It's wonderful because you know you're leading out your entire team and you get this adrenaline rush," said the ESF senior, describing what it feels like to run around the Carrier Dome's famed Jim Boeheim Court with the flag bearing SU's signature "S." "You know every time you may be doing the same thing, but you have a different crowd and different people that you're going to motivate."

"Also when we run around the court and you stop and you stand on the middle of the S (on the court) and you take your Big S flag and wave it around and that thrill of looking around and see all these people cheering and yelling it's just so motivating and it's awesome. You feel great and I love it."

Della Rocco, an environmental science major with a focus in watershed science and a minor in forestry, has been a member of the SU cheer squad since his sophomore year.

"When I first came to ESF, I was determined to be a cross-country runner," he said. After running his freshman year, though, he found it was "really, really competitive" - more so than he felt he was suited for - so he started looking for other athletic pursuits.

A chance meeting his freshman year in the dining hall presented the right opportunity. "A very attractive young lady come up to me and said, "What sport do you do?" and I said, "I'm a cross-country runner." She told him she knew a better sport for him but didn't want to tell him. She simply wanted him to come to tryouts and see if he could make it.

"And I said, 'What is it, some ridiculous sport like cheerleading?'"

Other

19684651-mmmain.jpg

CNY Native Dave Mirra, BMX and MTV Star, Found Dead at Age of 41 (PS; Herbert)

Central New York native Dave Mirra has been found dead of an apparent suicide, according to TMZ Sports. The BMX biker legend was 41.

The celebrity gossip site reports Mirra's body was discovered in his truck around 4 p.m. Thursday in Greenville, North Carolina. He had an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

The Greenville Police Department is investigating his death, according to WNCNin North Carolina.

Mirra, who leaves behind a wife and two children, was believed to be visiting friends in the area where he was found.

"My rock! Thank god," Mirra wrote on Instagram earlier Thursday with a photo of him and his wife.

Wait. The cheerleader is from ESF? That's a state school. It isn't Syracuse. Is there a blending <gasp> of public and private going on? Are the streams crossing????

Wait. The cheerleader is from ESF? That's a state school. It isn't Syracuse. Is there a blending <gasp> of public and private going on? Are the streams crossing????
Yup.

Students from ESF have the ability to take SU courses, participate in intramural activities and do things like try out for the cheerleading team.

They used to be able to stay in SU dorms and eat in SU dining halls but with the new ESF dorm, that might no longer be possible. Not sure.

Gumby was a Stumpy.

Yup.

Students from ESF have the ability to take SU courses, participate in intramural activities and do things like try out for the cheerleading team.

They used to be able to stay in SU dorms and eat in SU dining halls but with the new ESF dorm, that might no longer be possible. Not sure.

Gumby was a Stumpy.
They received SU diplomas and were allowed to play on SU sports teams until a couple decades ago, when an ESF student sued because she didn't want to pay SU student fees. Then, everything fell apart. I am glad that I was able to be on the SU track team and am an SU alumnus. The kids these days are being cheated.

Yup.

Gumby was a Stumpy.

My 2 RA's in Lawrinson were both Stumpies.
My friend growing up had an older brother who was a Stumpy - and also an SU cheerleader.

OMG...I literally had forgotten who Chris McCullough was...sad state of College Hoops.