Orangeyes Daily Articles for Saturday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Saturday for Basketball

Syracuse basketball an 8½-point underdog against Virginia in Elite Eight (PS: Carlson)

The Syracuse basketball team has won twice during the NCAA Tournament as underdogs. The Orange will need to do it a third time to make the Final Four, entering its Sunday night game with Virginia as an 8½-point underdog.

The margin is likely a nod to Virginia's successful regular season, its methodical march through the postseason and its dominance over Syracuse for the past three years...

Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball
Syracuse players are about to begin 20-minute press conference here in Chicago. All 5 starters on the dais. Then Boeheim afterwards.

Boeheim on Lydon: "He's had a tremendous freshman year from the beginning until now.''

Boeheim on Tony Bennett: "He's a great offensive coach and a great defensive coach. His last 3 years, he's had the best record in the NCAA''

Boeheiim on fullcourt press: "Our press is great, usually for about two minutes. It turned the game yesterday.''

Cooney on his anticipation on defenses: "Just our rotations. We try to play the passing lanes.''

Gbinije on Malachi's confidence: "Malachi's naturally a confident guy. We don't have to tell him to keep shooting. He does that anyway.''

Boeheim on UVa's offense vs. SU: "They shot well from the perimeter, but they also got it inside.''

Boeheim on game at UVa: "We played well offensively. It was tied 50-50. They were good on the offensive end.''

Gbinije on what he learned from playing UVa: "Playing against them the first time, they're a very disciplined team. Gotta be smart.''

Boeheim on ACC's performance in NCAAs: "A long time ago, I stopped getting into the conference thing. We've got a very good conference.''

Boeheim on ACC: "It's simplistic to say this is what you did in the NCAA tournament, but it's relevant.''

Boeheim on No. Iowa game last week: "I always root for the coach that's ahead in that situation.''

Boeheim says he thinks the 30 second shot clock was good. He's in favor of 24 seconds.

Boeheim thinks taking the timeouts away from the coaches was a horrific rule change.

Boeheim said he would've been able to get a timeout when Cooney got steal in corner last night. "Single-worst rule change I've seen.''

Boeheim also says when refs review a play, players shouldn't go to bench. That's a free timeout. "It hurt us in two games.''

Boeheim thinks a rule that'll come is checking on out of bounds play (Cooney).

Tyler Roberson gets asked a question: On Sabonis. "We had a game plan.''

Cooney on SU's improvement since UVa game. "You're supposed to get better. I think you can see that happening.''

Gbinije on Boeheim's comments during recruiting process: "Next question.'' Laughter throughout the room.

Boeheim says he likes Brogdon, but Gbinije is as valuable as any player to his team.

Roberson on Boeheim's comments: "Right now, I'm not concerned about that. I'm just worried about Virginia.''

The Syracuse players are excused. Boeheim remains for another 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:
Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball
Uh-oh. Boeheim criticizes ACC's schedule. Says ACC would've had two more teams in NCAA tourney w/better schedule.

Boeheim prefaced his scheduling comment with "This is going to get me in more trouble.''

Boeheim says a schedule shouldn't put bubble teams on a competitive disadvantage.

Boeheim says not being in NCAA last year doesn't matter. "This is this team. They want to go to the Final Four.''

Boeheim praises Cooney for going extra 10-15 feet to get to corner to make steal. "If he doesn't, the guy's got open 3-pointer.''

Boeheim was watching the SU women yesterday even on his phone leading up to Gonzaga game.

Boeheim says of SU women: "I take a little credit. They play a familiar defense.''

Boeheim talking about all the great coaches out there and refers to "Doug McDermott's father. That's what I call him.'

Boeheim said the best-coached team he's seen in the tournament was Stephen F. Austin.

Boeheim compares Brogdon to Klay Thompson. Plays well at both ends of the court and doesn't say much.

Boeheim recalls being in training camp with Chicago Bulls. Rebounding for Bob Boozer. He made 27 straight jumps. "Hm, these guys are good.''

Boeheim on Bulls' tryout: "Good thing I didn't make that team. It worked out for me.''

And Boeheim's presser ends.

Last edited: