Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Deep-dish-pizza-day.jpg

Welcome to National Deep Dish Pizza Day!

Also known as Chicago-style pizza today we celebrate National Deep Dish Pizza Day. Deep dish pizza was created in Chicago in 1943 by Pizzeria Uno’s founder Ike Sewell. Deep dish pizza has a buttery cornmeal crust than can be as tall as 3 inches on the sides. That way the crust acts like a bowl to hold in all the yummy ingredients. The pizza is made upside down so the cheese goes in first, then toppings, then sauce. Popular Chicago deep dish restaurants include Pizzeria Uno (and Due) Gino's East (pictured above), and Lou Malnati's.

SU News

20062267-standard.jpg

Final Four Bus Reaches the End of a Long Road (DO; Fortier)

Waking up on Monday morning in a Yankee Trails bus with nearly 50 other unwashed humans with unbrushed teeth and one unhappy bus driver wasn’t how this trip was supposed to go.

Monday morning was supposed to be one last huzzah through warm, sunny Houston and a fervent preparation for college basketball’s last game of the season. It was supposed to be a karmic reward for believing in Syracuse’s miracle season, investing so much time into being there.

But there’d be no NRG Stadium. No free ticket to the school’s potential second national championship. No envy from friends.

Instead, a McDonald’s parking lot. Rural Ohio. Light snow.

Yet no one seemed devastated, or even disgruntled. Sure, disappointment at not achieving the goal of making it to Monday night, but the fans on the bus seemed content. Or maybe comatose. A lot of people had brought NyQuil.

The Final Four fan bus, dispatched to Houston on Thursday at 8 p.m. was on its return voyage after No. 10 seed Syracuse’s season-ending loss to top-seeded North Carolina on Saturday night. By the time the bus unloaded back at Syracuse campus around 5:30 p.m. on Monday, the students had spent 67 of the last 94 hours on a bus. They’d traveled more than 3,264 miles and slept three of the last four nights upright in a cramped bus seat that made your neck sore for hours after waking up.

Big East Finds Respect is More Elusive Than Success (nytimes.com; Tracy)

A man dressed in Oklahoma crimson and cream walked in the hot Texas sun outside a mammoth football stadium on Saturday and told the person on the other end of his cellphone, “Basketball’s just what you do to kill time before football season, but it would be fun.”

“It” presumably meant the Sooners’ beating Villanova on Saturday night and then going on to win their first national basketball championship. Instead, Saturday night’s game gave new meaning to the phrase “kill time,” as Villanova dominated Oklahoma and its star, Buddy Hield, 95-51.

At Villanova, by contrast, football is played only when basketball options have been exhausted. That makes Villanova, which beat North Carolina, 77-74, on Monday night for its first Division I basketball title since 1985, and its conference, the Big East, anomalies on the big-time college basketball scene.

“I’m a huge college football fan,” Villanova Coach Jay Wright said this weekend. But, he added: “We’re authentic. We’re all basketball schools. We’re in metropolitan areas. It’s the biggest sport.”

Monday night’s win will further quiet the voices of doubt that have plagued the Big East since it emerged from the latest conference realignment with a slimmer, basketball-centric focus.

GettyImages-512676354.0.jpg

Analyzing Silent G's Professional Future (TNIAAM; Gilberg)

When Michael Gbinije decided to transfer from Duke after the 2011-2012 season, he was an unheralded freshman who averaged 1.7 points, 0.8 rebounds and 0.2 assists in his lone year as a Blue Devil. News of his transfer drew little fanfare and attention, the Associated Press only wrote a short 78-word blurb on the subject, and he was considered almost irrelevant when it came to affecting a team's success.

At the time, Syracuse Orange men's basketball head coach Jim Boeheim wasn't overly impressed with Gbinije and needed convincing from assistant coach Adrian Autry, Gbinije's former AAU coach, to take Gbinije in as a transfer, Boeheim told Bleacher Report's Greg Couch.

"I didn't like him at all," Boeheim said. "He went to Duke, and I really didn't think that he was that good to be honest with you. He couldn't shoot, and he was not really a guard."

Four years later, the name Michael Gbinije is now etched in Syracuse Orange lore. While he won't go down as one of the greatest Syracuse players of all-time, he most certainly left a lasting legacy as an Orange.

More than a 1,000 career points. All-ACC Second Team selection. All-ACC Defensive Team selection. Only ACC player to record at least 10 points in every game this season.Led the ACC in steals-per-game with 1.97 and finished fifth in points-per-game with 17.64. And last, but most certainly not least, led the Orange to a Final Four appearance.

Other

20073745-mmmain.jpg

No Appeal: Has Miner Surrendered in Battle with Syracuse Inner Harbor Developer? (PS; Moriarty)

She's not saying exactly, but Mayor Stephanie Miner appears to have raised the white flag in her losing legal battle with COR Development over tax breaks for the company's $342 million Syracuse Inner Harbor project.

Last Wednesday's deadline for the city to appeal a judge's order dismissing the mayor's lawsuit against COR passed without an appeal.

Miner's office has not returned multiple phone calls and emails from syracuse.com seeking comment since Friday. But with the deadline come and gone, it appears she has decided not to extend the fight, at least not in court.

syracuse-inner-harbor-mastejpg-3de7f14362f57af6.jpg

The city did file a notice of appeal on Feb. 1 of two earlier decisions by state Supreme Court Judge James Murphy rejecting the city's attempt to take back ownership of the land around the harbor from COR and canceling liens the city had placed on the property. However, it let a deadline to advance the appeal pass on Friday.

Last edited:

It is time to hang up the jersey and close the locker at the place that has provided me more than I ever imagined. But it is with great excitement that I would like to announce I will be playing basketball and attending Pace University’s Graduate School of Engineering and Computer Science this coming fall to play my final college year of basketball and earn my Masters Degree. I am extremely thankful and humbled to have been embraced with the love and support that the people of Syracuse have shown. There are too many people to thank for this “fictional like” experience but I know without my teammates and the character they comprise; I wouldn’t have the eternal inordinate memories created throughout the past 2 years. Thank you #CuseNation!!! #paceuniversity#pacebasketball#pace

It is time to hang up the jersey and close the locker at the place that has provided me more than I ever imagined. But it is with great excitement that I would like to announce I will be playing basketball and attending Pace University’s Graduate School of Engineering and Computer Science this coming fall to play my final college year of basketball and earn my Masters Degree. I am extremely thankful and humbled to have been embraced with the love and support that the people of Syracuse have shown. There are too many people to thank for this “fictional like” experience but I know without my teammates and the character they comprise; I wouldn’t have the eternal inordinate memories created throughout the past 2 years. Thank you #CuseNation!!! #paceuniversity#pacebasketball#pace
Good luck Christian!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom