Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national_coaster_day.jpg

Welcome to National Roller Coaster Day!

Each year on August 16th, you will find people at amusement parks and theme parks across the country participating in National Roller Coaster Day.

In 1885, a patent was awarded to LaMarcus Adna Thompson regarding roller coasters which were made out of wood. However, there were “Russian Mountains” roller coasters considerably earlier.

The oldest roller coasters are believed to have originated from the so-called “Russian Mountains”. Built in the 17th century, these were specially constructed hills of ice that were located near Saint Petersburg, Russia. The slides were made to a height of 70 to 80 feet consisting of a 50-degree drop and were reinforced by wooden supports.

A roller coaster consists of one or multiple cars on a track, similar to a specialized railroad system that rises in designed patterns, sometimes with one or more vertical loops.

SU News

B9320273071Z.1_20151226221550_000_G5CCVOMG2.1-0.jpg

Syracuse basketball recruiting: Jordan Tucker says Syracuse pursuing him "very hard" (TNIAAM; Menefee)

Syracuse basketball isn’t backing down on Class of 2017 small forward Jordan Tucker. Tucker, out of White Plains, N.Y., told Ben Sigel over at Cuseblog.com that the Orange have been recruiting him “very hard.”

“I’m one of the priorities for them in the 2017 class. I fit their system perfectly” said Tucker.

He’s definitely interested in Syracuse, but did talk to Cuseblog.com about his excitement about the Duke Blue Devils, stating that he is waiting on an offer from them before trimming down his list of schools.

Said Tucker on Duke:

They actually contacted my dad. I think it was Coach Capel and Coach Scheyer. They both said they wanted to see me handle the ball a little bit better…that was their biggest message to me…to keep improving.

However, he appears to be equally as interested in the Orange. He told Cuseblog he visited for Mayfest (the end of the year event hosted by the school) and he would use an official visit to come back.

Other interested schools include Maryland, North Carolina, Villanova, Indiana, and St. John’s.

It makes sense that Syracuse is heavily recruiting Tucker, especially after another Syracuse target and highly-ranked small forward, Hameir Wright, reclassified to the class of 2018.

Other offers for small forwards in the 2017 class include: Michael Porter Jr., Kevin Knox, Lonnie Walker, and Andre Rafus.

636068601648075954-SI-20160811-sal-si4-25.jpg

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2016/08/15/detroit-pistons-michael-gbinije/88760872/ (freep.com; Farrell)

Michael Gbinije and the Nigerian national basketball team won’t advance to the medal round at the Rio 2016 Summer Olympics, but the Detroit Pistons rookie did pick up some valuable playing experience.
Pistons coach and president Stan Van Gundy said being part of the Olympic experience would only help the Syracuse rookie, who played just one Orlando Summer League game with Detroit because of an ankle injury suffered July 3. He signed his contract 11 days later
“He got hurt in our camp, but the only issue he has had down there (in Rio) is
he got sick and he missed their second game," Van Gundy said today. "He has come back and played in Games 3 and 4. He has played well. His numbers have been good in Games 3 and 4. He has one more today. They cannot move on, so today (Brazil) will be his last one. Overall, I think it has been good experience for him.

“He has been playing off the ball at the two (shooting guard) and three (small forward). He hasn’t really played any point (guard). He has handled the ball some, but generally he’s out there with another guard."

Go USA! Go Coach? For US basketball fans, Olympics a change (sacbee.com; Mahoney)

Now wearing their country's colors and undefeated heading into the quarterfinals — Auriemma's team is dominating at a record-setting pace and plays Japan on Tuesday; Krzyzewski's squad has been challenged and faces Argentina on Wednesday — the guy from Chicago (Krzyzewski) and Philadelphia (Auriemma) should now be popular around the nation.

"I don't think they really think about those things," U.S. men's assistant Jim Boeheim said. "I know Geno doesn't. He thrives on the fact that they root against him."

Boeheim, friends with both, said the difference is that Krzyzewski is more careful than Auriemma in choosing his words, not wanting to offend anyone.

"Mike cares," Boeheim said. "Geno doesn't care."

Auriemma's response?

"First of all, I'm surprised that Boeheim is even aware of anything anybody says, because he lives in his own world up there in Syracuse," Auriemma quipped. "So that's the biggest shocker so far of the Olympics, the fact that he actually pays attention to anything.

"Mike's been at it a lot longer at a higher level than I have. And he's a West Point guy, and very smart, really bright, and knows how to think before he speaks. So why is that surprising, that I stick my foot in my mouth sometimes?"

Other

-ea8c189e24c29277.jpg

Syracuse University, Carrier Dome lose water after South Side water main break (video) (PS; O'Toole)

A 24-inch, high-pressure water main that ruptured Monday night on Syracuse's South Side shut off the water to nearly two dozen buildings at Syracuse University, city officials said.

The water main at East Kennedy and South State streets is estimated to be more than 80 years old, Syracuse city Water Department Superintendent Henry G. Rosado said.

"It's the main water supply for SU and the surrounding area," Rosado said. "It ruptured. There ain't no reason for it; just old age. It just popped."

When it burst shortly after 6 p.m. Monday, water flooded East Kennedy Street and several surrounding blocks of South State Street. The intersection of Martin Luther King Boulevard East and East Kennedy Street was nearly impassable.

The water main break created a gaping hole on South State Street, at the intersection of East Kennedy Street. A utility pole in the gaping hole on South State Street began to stag and lean, forcing National Grid to use a truck to hold it up so it wouldn't fall.

Syracuse police shut down traffic on streets surrounding the water main break while city Water Department employees worked to clean up the mess. Syracuse firefighters and National Grid also responded.

It took city Water Department crews about an hour to shut down the water main, Rosado said. Once that happened, the water that continued to build up and flood city streets gradually went away, leaving wet, muddy streets that needed to be cleaned up.