Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
hqdefault.jpg

Welcome to Save the Eagles Day!

Save the Eagles Day is commemorated on the 10th of January every year to save the eagles from extinction. The eagles were once in extinction in the later part of 20th Century, but as on June 2007, the Bald Eagle- national bird of the United States, was removed from the List of Endangered and Threatened Wildlife, due to the assiduous work of scientists and good stewards of both public and private lands.

There are more then 70 species of eagles throughout the world; except Hawaii, where the bird never resided. Other species of birds are not so fortunate as the Bald Eagle because of the threat caused due to habitat loss, poaching, and pesticides.

Throughout history, eagle appeared in both mythology and heraldry, and has been recognized as a symbol of power, courage, freedom and immorality since the antediluvian times. It is believed in some religions that a high-soaring eagle touches the face of God. Legends of Mexico's Aztecs so honored the bird that they built their capital, Tenochtitlan, at the spot where an eagle roosted on a cactus to raven a snake.

SU News

10-things-to-watch-su-va-techjpg-42aa8c351113684c.jpg

Syracuse basketball vs. Virginia Tech: 10 things to watch for (PS; photo gallery)

Syracuse must get a hand in Ahmed Hill's face Virginia Tech's Ahmed Hill is one of the best 3 point shooters in the ACC this year. Hill, a 65 sophomore, is third in the league in 3point percentage (45.3) and second in 3pointers made per game (2.8). Hill missed all of last season due to a knee injury. His return has bolstered Virginia Tech's perimeter attack. Syracuse's defenders are going to have to know where Hill is at all times.

587408da925fc.image.jpg

Virginia Tech could again be short-handed against Syracuse (roanoke.com; Berman)

The Virginia Tech men’s basketball team could again be short-handed in Tuesday’s game against Syracuse.
But neither team might use many players Tuesday.
Hokies point guard Seth Allen missed Saturday’s 93-78 loss at Florida State because of concussion symptoms. He hurt his head in last Wednesday’s 104-78 loss at North Carolina State.
Virginia Tech coach Buzz Williams said Monday that Allen might miss the Syracuse game as well. Allen took concussion protocol tests Monday and will do so again Tuesday.
Tech (12-3, 1-2 ACC), which dropped out of the Associated Press Top 25 on Monday, used just seven scholarship players in each of the past two games. Forward Khadim Sy missed the N.C. State game with an injured ankle but returned to action in a reserve role against FSU.
Florida State used 13 players to Tech’s eight, wearing the Hokies out by bringing in waves of fresh players.
Syracuse (10-6, 2-1) is unlikely to take the same approach Tuesday. Coach Jim Boeheim opted to use only six players in the Orange’s 77-66 win over Pittsburgh last weekend.
“I didn’t like losing — I think that’s why we went to that,” Boeheim said. “It’s sustainable. I think you can play five or six people, … depending on foul situations and things like that. Players get a rest every four minutes, so it’s possible to play five or six guys. We’ll see how the game goes.”
The Hokies would prefer to have Allen’s services Tuesday. The senior averages 10.7 points and 26.6 minutes off the bench.

ACC Basketball: Virginia Tech’s weaknesses exposed against Florida State? (bustingbrackets.com; Gill)

Led by Terance Mann’s 22, the Florida State Seminoles earned a quality win against one of the ACC’s top defensive teams on Saturday. Dwayne Bacon and Jonathan Isaac chipped in 17 and 13 points respectively, and the FSU bench added 35 in the victory.

For the Hokies, mistakes were not made on the offensive end. Chris Clarke scored 22 and grabbed eight rebounds, while Zach LeDay added 19 and Ahmed Hill scored 16. As a team, they turned the ball over 16 times, which isn’t pretty, but is also not an embarrassing total.

The Hokies defense however, which had allowed just 68 points per game before this week’s blowout losses to NC State and FSU, gave up 93 and failed to shut down roll players such as Jarquez Smith and PJ Savoy.

At halftime, Florida State had a 48-37 lead. They would stay ahead by about 10 points until there was about 10 minutes left in the game. Florida State was all over the offensive glass in the second half, which allowed them to stretch their lead to 18 with just under seven minutes remaining.

The Hokies hung around, but FSU would outscore them 10-6 in the final minutes of the game to earn the 15-point win.

Virginia Tech, who began conference play with a huge win over the Duke Blue Devils, now find themselves 1-2 in the ACC. While it is still early, their inability to defend the stronger teams in the conference indicates that this team is not ready to make a deep run in either the ACC or NCAA Tournament in March. Keep in mind, their 14-point win over Duke came at home when the Blue Devils were playing their first (and only) game without Grayson Allen.

The Hokies are also playing without Kerry Blackshear Jr., the sophomore forward who became one of VT’s most important big men last season. Their lack of depth at the power forward and center positions has revealed itself with their inability to rebound and score consistently from the paint.

Tech Talk Live Notes: Buzz Williams Talks Defensive Problems, Syracuse's 2-3 Zone (sportswar.com; LaBlue)

Tech Talk Live returned to its normal schedule on Monday night, focusing on Virginia Tech basketball. Head Coach Buzz Williams was the lone guest on Monday. Chris Clarke was scheduled to appear, but did not.

Tech Talk Live Main Guest: Head Coach Buzz Williams
Thoughts on Florida State and NC State

“I told Coach (Leonard) Hamilton, I’ve known him since I was a kid, I thought it was the best team he’s had since I was a head coach. My first year as a head coach, we played at Florida State, that was the first guarantee game that I was a part of. I was on the wrong end of the guarantee. I think they’re as good as they’ve been since then. I said that in postgame. They play 12 high-major players, they’re all really good. Other than the one game against Temple, a one possession game, they’ve beat everybody. We’re digging, they’re digging. I thought we competed much harder, I thought we battled much more like we have to on Saturday than we did (vs. NC State). We’ll see how we handle it.

This is the only week of the year where we have two home games in a row. We need to make sure we start off the right way tomorrow. Syracuse is playing five and a half guys and five of those guys are playing 192 minutes out of 200 and the half is playing eight minutes. Since Coach Boeheim has quit trying to figure out who can play and just narrowed it down to five guys, five and a half guys, they’ve been really good. They beat Miami handily from start to finish and they were beating Pitt by 25 or 26 in the first half. We haven’t played against a team that’s played zone from start to finish all year long. That’ll be new for our guys.”

Update on Seth Allen (dealing with concussion)

“There’s varying levels of concussive vs. concussion. He was on the low end, as far as concussive. He took the test every day since Wednesday night when he got hit. He was not allowed to travel with us to Florida State. We kept a guy back with him to help him take the test on Saturday while we we’re gone. Took the test Sunday and then took the test (Monday) and depending on your score in repeating days, that dictates what the doctor will allow, as far as how you progress. Friday, he was able to do 20 minutes on the bike. Saturday he was able to 30 minutes on the bike and shoot standstill shots. Today, he was able to do an individual workout and he’ll get tested again. I don’t know the exact results after the individual workout, prior to hoping he can be released to a portion of practice tonight.”

Other

21840287-mmmain.jpg

Entrepreneur Dan Coholan on leading a startup: Status quo is biggest competitor (PS; Linhorst)

Dan Coholan has started three businesses, two in medical fields and one in real estate development. His latest is Simple Admit. He started the business with Mike Horning, also a native Central New Yorker.

The Simple Admit idea is to eliminate the laborious, repetitive and time-wasting ways that nurses and patients exchange medical information before a surgical procedure.

Coholan sees this as a market with great growth opportunities: "Less than 10 percent of the surgical-center market is doing anything on the automated admissions side. Most are still hand-writing documents and calling patients."

He said there are about 6,000 accredited surgery centers in the country. He said that number balloons to about 40,000 when you add dental offices, plastic surgery centers and similar places.

Simple Admit is not your first business, right?
My first business was De-Tec. We were a distributor of respiratory and anesthesia equipment. We had a big service presence of anesthesia machines, all over the Northeast.

We were in Inc magazine in 1990, as one of the fastest growing companies in the country. I started it in 1980. It grew from just a couple of us to about 30 employees and about $15 million in annual sales. I sold it in 2007 to Drager Medical Inc., a company in Lubeck, Germany.