Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-signing-day1.jpg

Welcome to National Letter of Intent Day for Football!

The National Letter of Intent (NLI) is a document used to indicate a student athlete's commitment to participating National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) colleges and universities in the United States. The NCAA Eligibility Center manages the daily operations of the NLI program while the Collegiate Commissioners Association (CCA) provides governance oversight of the program. Started in 1964 with seven conferences and eight independent institutions, the program now includes 676 Division I and II participating institutions. There are designated dates for different sports, and these dates are commonly referred to as "Signing Day".

Division III institutions are specifically banned from using the NLI, or any similar document that is not executed by non-athletes at those institutions.[1]

NLIs are typically faxed by the recruited student to the university's athletic department on a National Signing Day.[2] The NLI is a voluntary program with regard to both institutions and student-athletes. No prospective student-athlete or parent is required to sign the National Letter of Intent, and no institution is required to join the program.

SU News

Andrew White improving on defense after early season struggles in zone (DO; Grossman)

The buzz around Syracuse three months ago was palpable. A No. 19 ranking floated next to SU’s name and phrases such as “Final Four” and “best team” were flung at Jim Boeheim in his season-opening press conference.

Twenty-two games later, the number 19 remains relevant only as Frank Howard’s minutes per game. Now, “Final Four” and “best team” have been replaced by “inexperience” and “still learning.” Four first-year players shouldering significant minutes was bound to create some puzzles, even for a fifth-year senior like Andrew White, who considers himself a “high IQ guy.”

No puzzle, however, presented a more complicated challenge than playing the zone. Earlier this season, White said he had second-guessed himself on defense. Four years of man-to-man college defense no longer applied.

All season White has stressed the need for patience and belief that he’s all-in on learning Boeheim’s defense. Finally, in Saturday’s 82-72 win over then-No. 6 Florida State, White unveiled the defensive performance he’s been working toward. His nine rebounds and four steals didn’t set any season-highs for the veteran guard, but collectively it represented White’s maturation.

Most important, he’s got a grip on how to better position himself in the zone and back down opponents contesting for rebounds. It’s taken longer than both he and Boeheim would have liked, but ahead of Syracuse’s (13-9, 5-4 Atlantic Coast) Wednesday night game at North Carolina State (14-8, 3-6), they’ll take it.

“To be a one-dimensional player in this league doesn’t work,” White said on Saturday. “I have a reputation as a shooter, but I try to be a threat on defense. I try to rebound. My urgency and desperation level are so high right now.

Howard_JessicaSheldon_SP.jpg

Syracuse men's basketball opponent preview: What to know about N.C. State (DO; Schneidman)

Syracuse (13-9, 5-4 Atlantic Coast) travels to Raleigh, North Carolina, in search of its first road win in a battle with North Carolina State (14-8, 3-6) on Wednesday at 7 p.m. The Orange is coming off a momentous upset of No. 6 Florida State, while Louisville thumped the Wolfpack on Sunday.

Here’s everything you need to know about Mark Gottfried’s squad.

All-time series: Syracuse holds a 6-3 advantage

Last time they played: On Senior Day, Michael Gbinije poured in a season-high 34 points to lead Syracuse to a 75-66 win over N.C. State in the Carrier Dome. Gbinije shot a lights-out 8-of-13 from behind the arc, while Malachi Richardson and Tyler Lydon each scored in double digits. Four scored in double figures for the Wolfpack, led by Caleb Martin’s 18. But N.C. State only shot 23.5 percent (4-of-17) from 3-point range as Syracuse’s seniors finished their Carrier Dome careers on a high note.

The N.C. State report: The Wolfpack’s three conference wins have come against Virginia Tech (by 26, when N.C. State scored a whopping 104 points), against Pittsburgh and at Duke. Like Syracuse, Gottfried’s side has struggled to win away from home with a 1-5 record outside of Raleigh. According to Kenpom.com, N.C. State ranks 49th nationally in adjusted offensive efficiency and 170th in defensive efficiency. Five different players average double digits, and the team shoots a respectable 47.7 percent from the field.

How Syracuse beats the Wolfpack: Simple. Stop Dennis Smith Jr. In N.C. State’s 15-point loss to Louisville on Sunday, David Levitch held Smith to a season-low eight points on 3-of-12 shooting. As he goes, so does N.C. State. Obviously the Orange won’t man mark him, but Smith is equally capable of scoring and dishing off, as shown by his 19 points and 6.5 assists per contest. The top of the zone will have to prevent penetration from Smith and have a watchful eye on him at all times when the ball isn’t in his hands. Against Duke, he went off for 32 points, including the game-sealing steal and dunk, so that’s a glimpse at what he’s capable of. Oh, and he’s a freshman.

Lydon_JessicaSheldon_SP.jpg

Beat writers see one clear winner for Syracuse-N.C. State (DO; Staff)

Coming off its biggest win of the season against then-No. 6 Florida State, Syracuse (13-9, 5-4 Atlantic Coast) travels to take on North Carolina State (14-8, 3-6) at 7 p.m. on Wednesday. The Wolfpack is coming off a 25-point point loss to then-No. 13 Louisville.

Here’s what The Daily Orange beat writers think will happen against N.C. State.

Connor Grossman (13-9)
On the prowl
Syracuse 79, N.C. State 70

Syracuse has offered zero evidence this season that it’s going to win a game away from the Carrier Dome. The odds will be against SU doing it until the Orange actually does it. So what does Syracuse have going for it? A win over then-No. 6 Florida State doesn’t hurt momentum. But SU’s defense played as well in the first half of that game as it has all season. Jim Boeheim said on Monday he thinks the Orange has cured the widespread problems that plagued it on the road this season. Will it be enough against N.C. State and stud freshman Dennis Smith Jr.? Boeheim doesn’t know, but I do: Syracuse claims its first road victory of the season on Wednesday night.

Matt Schneidman (10-12)
First time for everything
Syracuse 75, N.C. State 70

The Orange hasn’t won on the road yet this season, and freshman stud Dennis Smith Jr. will try to keep that trend going when Syracuse comes to town on Wednesday night. The possible No. 1 NBA Draft pick averages 18.3 points, 6.5 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 2.2 steals per game and Syracuse probably won’t have anyone who can completely take him out of the game. But somehow, a combination of John Gillon, Frank Howard and Tyus Battle does just enough and Syracuse gets its elusive first win away from the Carrier Dome to stretch is winning streak to three games.

Syracuse at NC State: How to watch and what to know (newsobserver.com; Giglio)

SYRACUSE AT NC STATE

When: 7 p.m. Wednesday
Where: PNC Arena, Raleigh
TV/Radio: ESPN2, 101.5-WRAL
Projected starting lineups

Syracuse (13-9, 5-4 ACC)
G John Gillon 8.9 ppg, 5.2 apg
G Tyus Battle 10.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg
F Andrew White 16.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg
F Tyler Lydon 14.2 ppg, 7.9 rpg
C Taurean Thompson 8.6 ppg, 3.3 rpg

NC State (14-8, 3-6 ACC)
G Dennis Smith Jr. 19.0 ppg, 6.5 apg
G Terry Henderson 14.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg
G Maverick Rowan 11.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg
F Abdul-Malik Abu 11.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg
F Omer Yurtseven 6.6 ppg, 5.5 rpg

Three things to know

▪ The Orange struggled outside the ACC but has gotten some traction in the league race with a 5-0 home record. Jim Boeheim’s team is coming off of back-to-back home wins over Florida State (82-72) and Wake Forest (81-76).
▪ Louisville used some zone to slow Dennis Smith Jr. and keep him from getting to the basket. The Orange is known for its matchup zone, which is really almost a quarter-court trap with all of the double-teaming it does on the perimeter. Smith, who had a season-low eight points against Louisville, will have to be patient against Syracuse’s defense.
▪ Junior forward Abdul-Malik Abu is in a groove after starting ACC play in a slump. Abu has averaged 17.3 points and 7.3 rebounds the past three games. There’s room in the middle of Syracuse’s zone for Abu to make some hay.

Syracuse basketball vs. North Carolina State: 10 things to watch for (PS; photo gallery)

N.C. State's starting lineup North Carolina State's Terry Henderson is a transfer from Charlotte who missed all of last season with a knee injury. Henderson, a 65 senior, has started every game this season. He's second on the team in scoring at 14.3 points per game. Here is the rest of N.C. State's starting lineup: Dennis Smith Jr. (63, Fr., 19.0 ppg), Maverick Rowan (67, Soph, 11.7 ppg), AbdulMalik Abu (68, Jr., 11.8 p

The man on the radio just can’t be right (TNIAAM; McClusky)

“I’m not about hyperbole, I’m not trying to ‘Skip-Bayless’ this, okay? But I’ve never been more upset with a Syracuse team than I am right now with this particular group.”

The dude on the radio last week had something of a point. Talking head or not, tiny-market radio or not, I found myself agreeing, even if just a little, that this SU squad, the one that was sitting just a few games above .500 in late January, was more maddening than any other that I could remember.

There was that ’96-97 team that was too young and inexperienced, led by freshman and the “leftovers” from the previous season’s run to the NCAA Tournament Final. So many blowout losses. And who could forget about the “Dynasty” team of a green Donte Greene and Johnny Flynn? Hell, the last couple of seasons have been fairly hair-graying, save for that wild ride last March.

But if Nicholas Cage has “Gone in 60 Seconds,” Syracuse this year is producing the sequel, “Gone in 120 Seconds.” You pretty much know a loss is coming within about two minutes of game action, right? The opponent hits a couple of early shots, stick a fork in the Orange. Syracuse comes out flat or cold, it’s game over. Outside of the Connecticut game in the Garden, it seems like every game is either an instant win or an automatic loss. And that goes double for the defeats on the road.

I’ve stifled so many cusses, my six-year-old son probably thinks I have some type of affliction. Which probably isn’t too far off what being a Syracuse fan is like: Something that needs a diagnosis and then a medicine to help or manage...

John Gillon proving crucial to SU’s ACC success (TNIAAM; Sigel)

Syracuse Orange point guard John Gillon is proving to be much more important than most can see from the naked eye.

After his most important — and best — performance of the year, the same question seems to emerge: Can he build off of it?

The answer, right now, is nobody knows.

He scored 21 points and dished out 11 assists on Saturday against No. 6 Florida State, and hit 13-of-14 free throws in the 82-72 victory. He was simply terrific.

When Gillon scores 14 or more points, Syracuse is 6-0. When he dishes out six or more assists, SU is 9-1.

And during ACC games, Gillon leads the conference with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.90, and is second in assists per game with 6.4. His 58 total assists are second-best to NC State freshman Dennis Smith Jr.

These numbers are also boosted by back-to-back 11 assist games against Pittsburgh and Miami — both victories at the Carrier Dome.

But we’re starting to see a trend. As John Gillon goes, so go the Orange.

Other

NY Thruway fatality trial: Accused driving 150 mph, prosecutor says (PS; Tribune News Service)

Alicia Tamboia and Cody Veverka were dating only three weeks when they went to Tyler Pascuzzi's party on July 4, 2014.

The 20-somethings drove to East Greenbush, watched fireworks over the Empire State Plaza and returned to Pascuzzi's rental home on Cordell Road in Colonie -- for a time.

The three left, stopped at a Central Avenue bar and headed back to Cordell Road about 11:30 p.m.

Within six hours, State Police rang the doorbell of Lori Caponigo Tamboia in Dutchess County -- her daughter and Veverka were dead.

"I just remember dropping to my kitchen floor ...," she said Tuesday.

The mother testified as Pascuzzi, 27, sat in a packed courtroom charged with killing Tamboia, 24, of Wingdale, Dutchess County, and Veverka, 23, of Cairo, while drunk and speeding on the state Thruway in his 2004 Volkswagen in Guilderland about 11:40 p.m.

Tamboia's mother, the first witness, recalled her final conversation with her daughter.

"She had a backpack on her back. She walked down the stairs," the mother testified. "I told her be careful and said I loved her. She said she loved me. She walked out the door."