Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
D_27_Quirky-Country-Music-Titles-e1427314033820.jpg

Welcome to Quirky Country Music Song Titles Day!

Today is Quirky Country Music Song Titles Day! What country music song always puts a smile on your face? Perhaps it’s Johnny Cash's "Every Time I Itch I Wind Up Scratching You," Kenny Chesney's "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy," or Homer & Jethro's "She Made Toothpicks Out Of The Timber Of My Heart." Today is the day to pay tribute to these unique songs!

Country music evolved from Appalachian folk music in the 1920s and became a nationwide sensation in the 1940s. The Grand Ole Opry radio station in Nashville, Tennessee began broadcasting weekly concerts that showcased all the different genres of country music—hillbilly, honky-tonk, bluegrass, western, rockabilly, gospel, and more.

In honor of today’s Reason to Celebrate, put on your cowboy hat, get out your banjo, and belt out your favorite quirky country music song!

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Predictions for next year's returners | isportsweb (isportsweb.com; Godnick)

This season wasn’t a picture perfect narrative for the Syracuse Orange, but they do return some pieces that benefited from the lessons they learned this year. The departures of John Gillon, Andrew White III, and Tyler Lydon will definitely hurt, but don’t take this team lightly next year—there is a reason for hope.

The Orange are returning a balance of guards and big men next year, two of which were starters for the stretch run of the season. This team was the definition of inconsistent this season, but the young assets now know what it takes to win, and hopefully they can take what they learned from the veterans this year and use it for next season’s success.

Frank Howard

Howard started off the season on a high note as it looked like he would be able to run this team all year long—that wasn’t the case. Howard was limited against the tougher opponents as his inconsistent offensive ability hurt him.

Howard now has two years under his belt, and it’s looking like this will finally be his team next year. Gillon is gone, so Howard is left as the point guard for this team, and hopefully one more off season will be enough for him to realize his ability.

Prediction: 14 ppg, 5.8 apg, 2.4 rbg

Tyus Battle

In Battle we trust. The freshman guard had an interesting year as inconsistency hurt him to begin the season. As time went by and things started to come together, Battle was able to make a name for himself.

He didn’t look like a freshman come the end of the season as he was able to take over games with his athleticism and surprisingly impressive jump shot. It’s going to be his team next year as Battle will most likely be the number one option on offense. So, get the signs ready: In Battle we trust.

Prediction: 18.2 ppg, 3 apg, 4.2 rpg

Taurean Thompson

Thompson is the “X” factor for next season; if he’s able to play the sidekick role Battle needs, the Orange could be set up for a surprisingly successful season. Just like Battle, Thompson was inconsistent for Syracuse; however, Thompson’s ability to score was put on display as it seemed he couldn’t be guarded by anyone at times.

His defensive issues are apparent, but a full off-season could do wonders for the big man. Thompson is going to need to be a man next year for Syracuse to see success, and I see him not only maturing, but dominating defenses for an entire season.

Prediction: 16 ppg, 7 rpg, 1.2 apg

There are other players returning for the Orange, but the season will go as far as these three want it to go. They have the ability to make this season an after thought if they can come together for one magical year. Don’t lose hope Orange fans, next season could be the one we all have been dreaming about.

9853009-ncaa-basketball-syracuse-at-north-carolina-state-850x560.jpeg

Syracuse Basketball: Top 10 Moments During the 2016-2017 Season (ITLD.com; Peelman)

Syracuse Basketball’s season is over after a crushing season defeat at home to Ole Miss. Inside the Loud House looks back at the Top 10 Best Moments the Orange had this season.

Syracuse Basketball team and fans alike didn’t want for this roller coaster of a season to be over. Yeah, there were highs and lows, but we still enjoyed the ride. I know its hard to get over the disappointment of losing to Ole Miss.

Therefore, I thought a pick me up was in order. So let’s take a trip down memory lane shall we? Let’s relive Syracuse Basketball’s Ten Best Moments this season.

2017 NCAA Tournament: What it Means For the ACC if North Carolina Loses (slapthesign.com; Strackbein)

MUST READ: Is Mike Brey Headed to Georgetown?

Known as the best conference in college basketball, the ACC was set to have one of the biggest years in their history. You send nine teams to the NCAA Tournament and chances are you could see a Final Four featuring only your conference.

If you fail to send any teams to the Final Four, though, it leaves a lot of questions as to how overrated you really are. With North Carolina being the ACC team left in competition, their Elite Eight game against Kentucky is going to go a long way in how people view the world’s best conference next season.

You can look at it as the madness of March. You can say that teams like Notre Dame were seeded poorly and it led to their early elimination. Or, you can say that you had three ACC teams in your Final Four and none of them showed up to play in this tournament.

RECRUITING: Robby Carmody Resembles a Former Irish Star
Either way, your case is a strong one. When eight, possibly nine, members of your conference fail to reach the Final Four, there’s a lot of questioning to do. When you go from nine to one before the Sweet 16, it looks even worse.

So, North Carolina is the deciding factor. People are going to talk about how overrated the conference is either way. But put one of their teams in the Final Four and maybe even the Championship, and there’s less to say about how bad everyone in the ACC is. If the Tar Heels pull off the whole thing, then maybe there will be no talk at all.

If they lose, then let the snowball of words begin to roll. No matter how well each team in the conference plays next season, they will be haunted by the failed attempt the ACC had in the 2017 tournament. When the selection committee looks, being an ACC team won’t mean as much as it did this season unless there’s, even more, teams impressing during the regular season. This year’s tournament won’t give much help, though.

-6fee28d5048f4cc3.jpg

March Madness 2017 buzz: Maye's score at 0.3 sends UNC to Final Four; Beatle catches mania (PS; AP)

A look around the sights and sounds of the NCAA Tournament from reporters at the games and surrounding events:

MAYE IS BIG IN MARCH: And North Carolina is back in the Final Four, thanks to -- surprise! -- Luke Maye.

The sophomore reserve hit the winning shot with 0.3 seconds left for a 75-73 win against Kentucky in the South Region championship game. It was part of a huge performance for Maye, who scored 17 points on 6-for-9 shooting.

Maye's shot came seconds after Malik Monk hit a 3 to tie the game in a wild finish between the region's top two seeds.

Here is video of these two amazing shots:
!!!!!!!!! #Elite8 pic.twitter.com/GETD7qN2kG

-- NCAA March Madness (@marchmadness) March 26, 2017
GAMECOCKS' DEFENSE BITES GATORS: It's only right that South Carolina's first trip to Final Four was earned through its defense. A team known for a swarming zone used it effectively down the stretch to beat Florida 77-70 on Sunday and win the East Regional at Madison Square Garden.

Sindarius Thornwell scored 26 points for the seventh-seeded Gamecocks, who play Gonzaga, the No. 1 seed from the West Regional, in the Final Four on Saturday at Glendale, Arizona.

It seemed Thornwell, who scored eight straight points for the Gamecocks, was always where he needed to be including making a steal with 40 seconds left that turned into a 73-68 lead.

Other

Meatballs_JosephBloss_AFE.jpg

And the winner of the best meatball in Syracuse is... (DO; Bloss)

March is often a month closely associated with madness. Slam dunks, buzzer-beaters and Cinderella stories dominate weekends where a hefty chunk of the nation fixates its attention on college basketball. On Sunday, though, a different kind of madness infiltrated Syracuse.

The meatball kind.

That’s right. Beginning at noon, three hours of the 14th annual Meatball Madness consumed the International Pavilion at the New York State fairgrounds. Elmcrest Children’s Center, an organization based in Syracuse that provides assistance to families and kids living with emotional and behavioral disabilities, hosted the event. The goal — besides raise a standard $30,000 for Elmcrest — was to find out who makes the best meatball in Syracuse.

Eleven chefs each donated roughly 400 meatballs for the affair. Those who paid the few dollars to get in could fork over their ticket for a blue egg carton filled with one meatball from each chef. To eliminate any biases, only numbers and no names labeled the spheres of meat. Tasters eat them up, then cast a vote for the best through iPads at a voting station, or via a URL provided at every table.

One of my favorite C&W refrains: "I've got the hungries for your love, so I'm standing in your welfare line."

If Frank puts up those kind of numbers next year, I will be pleasantly shocked.
I had to read that three times that someone actually predicted FH to average 14 ppg next season. I'm not saying it's not going to happen but that's quite the prediction.

I had to read that three times that someone actually predicted FH to average 14 ppg next season. I'm not saying it's not going to happen but that's quite the prediction.

It really is quite a prediction. Shocked isn't a strong enough word for my reaction if it happens, but we've had guys improve from one season to the next before.

It really is quite a prediction. Shocked isn't a strong enough word for my reaction if it happens, but we've had guys improve from one season to the next before.

MCW averaged 12 ppg as a Soph.
A lot more dimes and boards than what they're projecting for Frankie, but...
Triche as a Sr. averaged < 14 a game too.
Oh, and...
Scoop as a Sr averaged 12.5.

Yeah, there's a zero point zero % chance Frank averages 14 for us next year.

It would be even money that Frank could total 14 ppg if you added his scoring production together for the next 2 seasons.

I hope he comes back and averages 8 assists. Or even 6. I don't see where the points would come from from what I've watched so far.:noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom