Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Whistlers_Mother_high_res.jpg

Welcome to Mother Whistler Day!

Have you ever seen this famous painting, calledArrangement in Grey and Black No. 1?

It's by an American artist named James Abbott McNeill Whistler, and he began painting this portrait of his other when the model he had scheduled to paint unexpectedly didn't come.

Most people call the painting Whistler's Mother – although that is not its name.

And...this day is not about the painting, and it is not the birthday of J.A.M. Whistler's mother!

Instead, it celebrates anyone who can whistle. So if you can whistle, let one rip right now!

SU News

18420099-mmmain.jpg

Belbey: Boeheim's Army has meant 'a lot' to Syracuse basketball alums - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Boeheim’s Army General Manager Kevin Belbey calls in to discuss this year’s alumni team with Wes Cheng on The Juice on the Cuse Podcast hosted by SNY.tv. The Juice Online Columnist Saugat Sen also calls in after to talk about the down year in Syracuse recruiting.

Here are the highlights from the show:

Wes Cheng: Boeheim’s Army most recently added Donte Greene, and you’re about to hit your minimum roster requirement. I’m assuming you’re not done adding players.

Kevin Belbey: Definitely not. We’ve got six guys right now. We need one more by June 1 to be eligible. We’ll probably look to have around 8 to 9 guys. Last year, we probably had one or two too many. I think we could use another big guy. Another shooter. Another scorer, so we’ll see. We’ve got a good core six so far, so it’s just adding a couple of guys, and we’ll see where to go from there.

WC: Who’s on your wishlist for this year?

KB: Last year, it was a shot in the dark, it would’ve been Dion Waiters. He didn’t get a ton of interest, it was unfortunate to see, but he had a great year this year, and he’ll wind up getting a nice pay day now, but he’s someone who I wanted to say, ‘Hey, you’re a free agent. What are you up to this weekend? We’re playing in your home town in Philly.’ That was kind of a dream scenario last year. There’s so many great Syracuse guys playing in the NBA and overseas. I’d love to get a guy like Andy Rautins one day. Arinze Onuaku has been in and out of the NBA, but he’s an NBA level center who would do great things in the tournament.

UNC Basketball: Tar Heels express interest in Pitt transfer Cam Johnson (keepingitheel.com; Laskey)

After missing out on Kevin Knox and the possibility Tony Bradley remaining in the draft, the Tar Heels have reached out to Pitt transfer Cameron Johnson.

The Tar Heels haven’t stopped looking for possible additions to the 2017-2018 roster as they reached out to Pitt grad transfer Cam Johnson.

Per Jon Rothstein,

North Carolina is the latest school to express interest in Pitt grad transfer Cam Johnson, per a source. No visit set yet.

— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) May 17, 2017

Johnson, who announced his intention to transfer back in early April, had cut his list earlier this month but it seems as though Carolina may work its way in the mix.

Last year with Pitt, Johnson averaged 11.9 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game. Johnson finished fifth in the ACC in three-point percentage at 41.5 percent.

Johnson’s most recent list comprised of Kentucky, Arizona, Oregon, UCLA, TCU, and Ohio State. He had taken visits to all schools and looked to be close to a decision.

15644_051117_keatts_eq_01f.jpg

NC State's Kevin Keatts is ready for the moment (njsonline.com; Queeney)

Kevin Keatts has been preparing for this moment for more than two decades.

Since starting out as an assistant coach at Southwestern Michigan — a now defunct program — Keatts always dreamed of being a head coach at the highest level of the college basketball. Getting that chance with NC State was just icing on the cake in a coaching career that has spanned 21 seasons.

Growing up in Lynchburg, Va., Keatts didn’t root for the typical teams in Virginia, Virginia Tech or even Richmond or George Mason. Keatts was drawn to NC State at an early age that carried with him all the way through his playing and coaching career.

“I don’t know if it was the ‘Wolfpack’ or if it was the color red, I just always had a fondness of NC State,” Keatts said. “When I took the job at Hargrave Military Academy I made several, several trips down here to take recruits and just visit Reynolds Coliseum. Something about this place drew me in.”

The ACC boasts the National Champions of college football and college basketball and league commissioner John Swofford expounds on the virtues of the strength of the conference in his sit-down interview with the ACC Digital Network's Wes Bryant during the ACC Spring Meetings. Swofford discusses the prominence of the league's football programs as well looks ahead to some exciting non-conference matchups to star the 2017 college football season.

Other

22713884-mmmain.jpg

Legal battles between Cor Development and Syracuse almost over (PS; Moriarty)

Cor Development Co. is dropping a lawsuit seeking financial damages against the city of Syracuse over what it called the city's "unjustified refusal" to transfer the final piece of Syracuse Inner Harbor land to the company.

In a statement Wednesday, Cor spokeswoman Maggie Truax said the company has notified the city of its intent to withdraw its lawsuit for damages in light of the city finally transferring the last parcel of harbor land on May 4 under a 2012 contract with the company. She said the company made the decision "in its concerted effort to move forward with the development of the Inner Harbor."

Alex Marion, a spokesman for Mayor Stephanie Miner, declined to comment on the company's announcement.

The move ends the last piece of litigation between Cor and the city, except for a lawsuit by a city-related entity, the Syracuse Industrial Development Agency, against the company.

The Appellate Division of state Supreme Court heard arguments Tuesday in the agency's appeal of Judge James Murphy's March 2016 dismissal of the agency's lawsuit against Cor.

The agency alleged that COR was legally obligated to come to it, not the Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency, for any tax exemptions for the development of the Inner Harbor into a retail, hotel, office and residential complex. Murphy ruled that Cor's only obligation to the agency related to the construction of a 134-room Aloft Hotel, the first phase of COR's harbor project.

Upstate NY could be hit with severe storms as cold front, warm air clash (PS; Coin)

Strong thunderstorms with damaging winds are possible across much of Upstate New York this afternoon and evening.

The cold front creating these storms is expected to reach the Great Lakes as potentially record-setting heat builds this afternoon, said the Storm Prediction Center.

"Thunderstorms are expected to develop just ahead of the front from northern Indiana east-northeastward into northern Ohio and western New York late this afternoon," the center said. The center says most of Upstate New York has a 15 percent chance of high winds and hail today, and a 2 percent chance of a tornado.

That article that Tom linked above about Cam Johnson from Pitt is a head scratchier. I thought he was banned from transferring to any ACC schools unless I misread that somewhere.

Whistlers_Mother_high_res.jpg

Welcome to Mother Whistler Day!

Have you ever seen this famous painting, calledArrangement in Grey and Black No. 1?

It's by an American artist named James Abbott McNeill Whistler, and he began painting this portrait of his other when the model he had scheduled to paint unexpectedly didn't come.

Most people call the painting Whistler's Mother – although that is not its name.

And...this day is not about the painting, and it is not the birthday of J.A.M. Whistler's mother!

Instead, it celebrates anyone who can whistle. So if you can whistle, let one rip right now!

SU News

18420099-mmmain.jpg

Belbey: Boeheim's Army has meant 'a lot' to Syracuse basketball alums - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Boeheim’s Army General Manager Kevin Belbey calls in to discuss this year’s alumni team with Wes Cheng on The Juice on the Cuse Podcast hosted by SNY.tv. The Juice Online Columnist Saugat Sen also calls in after to talk about the down year in Syracuse recruiting.

Here are the highlights from the show:

Wes Cheng: Boeheim’s Army most recently added Donte Greene, and you’re about to hit your minimum roster requirement. I’m assuming you’re not done adding players.

Kevin Belbey: Definitely not. We’ve got six guys right now. We need one more by June 1 to be eligible. We’ll probably look to have around 8 to 9 guys. Last year, we probably had one or two too many. I think we could use another big guy. Another shooter. Another scorer, so we’ll see. We’ve got a good core six so far, so it’s just adding a couple of guys, and we’ll see where to go from there.

WC: Who’s on your wishlist for this year?

KB: Last year, it was a shot in the dark, it would’ve been Dion Waiters. He didn’t get a ton of interest, it was unfortunate to see, but he had a great year this year, and he’ll wind up getting a nice pay day now, but he’s someone who I wanted to say, ‘Hey, you’re a free agent. What are you up to this weekend? We’re playing in your home town in Philly.’ That was kind of a dream scenario last year. There’s so many great Syracuse guys playing in the NBA and overseas. I’d love to get a guy like Andy Rautins one day. Arinze Onuaku has been in and out of the NBA, but he’s an NBA level center who would do great things in the tournament.

UNC Basketball: Tar Heels express interest in Pitt transfer Cam Johnson (keepingitheel.com; Laskey)

After missing out on Kevin Knox and the possibility Tony Bradley remaining in the draft, the Tar Heels have reached out to Pitt transfer Cameron Johnson.

The Tar Heels haven’t stopped looking for possible additions to the 2017-2018 roster as they reached out to Pitt grad transfer Cam Johnson.

Per Jon Rothstein,

North Carolina is the latest school to express interest in Pitt grad transfer Cam Johnson, per a source. No visit set yet.

— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) May 17, 2017

Johnson, who announced his intention to transfer back in early April, had cut his list earlier this month but it seems as though Carolina may work its way in the mix.

Last year with Pitt, Johnson averaged 11.9 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game. Johnson finished fifth in the ACC in three-point percentage at 41.5 percent.

Johnson’s most recent list comprised of Kentucky, Arizona, Oregon, UCLA, TCU, and Ohio State. He had taken visits to all schools and looked to be close to a decision.

15644_051117_keatts_eq_01f.jpg

NC State's Kevin Keatts is ready for the moment (njsonline.com; Queeney)

Kevin Keatts has been preparing for this moment for more than two decades.

Since starting out as an assistant coach at Southwestern Michigan — a now defunct program — Keatts always dreamed of being a head coach at the highest level of the college basketball. Getting that chance with NC State was just icing on the cake in a coaching career that has spanned 21 seasons.

Growing up in Lynchburg, Va., Keatts didn’t root for the typical teams in Virginia, Virginia Tech or even Richmond or George Mason. Keatts was drawn to NC State at an early age that carried with him all the way through his playing and coaching career.

“I don’t know if it was the ‘Wolfpack’ or if it was the color red, I just always had a fondness of NC State,” Keatts said. “When I took the job at Hargrave Military Academy I made several, several trips down here to take recruits and just visit Reynolds Coliseum. Something about this place drew me in.”

The ACC boasts the National Champions of college football and college basketball and league commissioner John Swofford expounds on the virtues of the strength of the conference in his sit-down interview with the ACC Digital Network's Wes Bryant during the ACC Spring Meetings. Swofford discusses the prominence of the league's football programs as well looks ahead to some exciting non-conference matchups to star the 2017 college football season.

Other

22713884-mmmain.jpg

Legal battles between Cor Development and Syracuse almost over (PS; Moriarty)

Cor Development Co. is dropping a lawsuit seeking financial damages against the city of Syracuse over what it called the city's "unjustified refusal" to transfer the final piece of Syracuse Inner Harbor land to the company.

In a statement Wednesday, Cor spokeswoman Maggie Truax said the company has notified the city of its intent to withdraw its lawsuit for damages in light of the city finally transferring the last parcel of harbor land on May 4 under a 2012 contract with the company. She said the company made the decision "in its concerted effort to move forward with the development of the Inner Harbor."

Alex Marion, a spokesman for Mayor Stephanie Miner, declined to comment on the company's announcement.

The move ends the last piece of litigation between Cor and the city, except for a lawsuit by a city-related entity, the Syracuse Industrial Development Agency, against the company.

The Appellate Division of state Supreme Court heard arguments Tuesday in the agency's appeal of Judge James Murphy's March 2016 dismissal of the agency's lawsuit against Cor.

The agency alleged that COR was legally obligated to come to it, not the Onondaga County Industrial Development Agency, for any tax exemptions for the development of the Inner Harbor into a retail, hotel, office and residential complex. Murphy ruled that Cor's only obligation to the agency related to the construction of a 134-room Aloft Hotel, the first phase of COR's harbor project.

Upstate NY could be hit with severe storms as cold front, warm air clash (PS; Coin)

Strong thunderstorms with damaging winds are possible across much of Upstate New York this afternoon and evening.

The cold front creating these storms is expected to reach the Great Lakes as potentially record-setting heat builds this afternoon, said the Storm Prediction Center.

"Thunderstorms are expected to develop just ahead of the front from northern Indiana east-northeastward into northern Ohio and western New York late this afternoon," the center said. The center says most of Upstate New York has a 15 percent chance of high winds and hail today, and a 2 percent chance of a tornado.

Imagine that: Miner lost in court, again.