Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Flag-Day-Pictures-.jpg

Welcome to Flag Day!

Flag Day commemorates the adoption of the flag of the United States, which took place on June 14, 1777. In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson made a proclamation establishing June 14th as Flag Day. In August 1949, National Flag Day was established by an act of Congress, which was signed by Harry Truman. However, Flag Day is not an official federal holiday. Before the government recognized Flag Day, citizens had been celebrating it and working to bring it to prominence for many years. Bernard J. Cigrand, a schoolteacher from Waubeka, Wisconsin, held the first formal observance of “Flag Day”, or “Flag Birthday”, at Stony Hill School in 1885. Cigrand continued to advocate for Flag Day and became the president of the American Flag Day Association and the National Flag Day Society. Cigrand is usually described as the “Father of Flag Day”. On June 14, 1894, over 300,000 public school students celebrated Flag Day in parks across Chicago. In the 1890's, observances took place in other cities such as New York City and Philadelphia. Currently, the week of June 14th is known as “National Flag Week”, and the president makes a proclamation urging people to fly flags for its duration. Flags are flown on government buildings as well.

SU News

Screen-Shot-2017-03-24-at-2.14.34-PM.png

Can Abdul-Malik Abu lead the ACC in field-goal percentage next season? - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; Geisinger)

We are still in the honeymoon phase of the marriage between Kevin Keatts, NC State and the fanbase. Stuff won’t get real until the 2017-18 season starts.

Of this group of stakeholders, no one should be more excited about the arrival of Keatts than Abdul-Malik Abu. The senior has the opportunity to lead the conference in a valuable metic: field-goal percentage.

Here’s why…

Keep it rolling
UNC Wilmington was one of the best offenses in the nation this past season; the Seahawks ranked No. 19 in the nation in offensive efficiency, per KenPom.com. Wilmington accomplished that by running a spread four-around-one offense, which we’ve previously discussed in this space. The big man in this system was sophomore Devontae Cacok.

Cacok was simply incredible throughout the 2016-17 season. The 6-7 center became just the 10th Division I player in the last 25 years to shoot above 70 percent on two-point field goals (minimum of 200 attempts). Overall, Cacok shot a ridiculous 80 percent from the field; he’s the only player in the last 25 years to hit that benchmark.

That doesn’t happen with magic; it’s a combination of talent, teamwork and scheme. Here’s a breakdown of how Cacok achieved this absurd level of production.

Other

-b493ad0f40c0ca1c.JPG

Animal-loving mayoral candidate says, begrudgingly, Syracuse deer need to die (PS; Baker)

Earlier this week, we asked each of the city's nine mayoral candidates about their thoughts on controlling the city's deer population. While many offered statistics, surveys and even thoughts on I-81, Republican Laura Lavine gave a surprisingly personal response.

It is a somewhat unusual offering that takes you through her thought process and how her policy position clashes with her personal beliefs. She explains she's a vegetarian who, literally, won't hurt a bug. She won't fish. She stops her cats from killing mice.

But, seemingly painfully, she has reached a conclusion that the deer she sees every day must be killed.

Here's what she said, in full:

I have been a vegetarian for 25 years for animal rights reasons. The killing of an animal is distressing to me. I capture spiders and release them outside, once prevented our cats from killing a mouse, and will not go fishing.

During those same 25 years, I have witnessed the increasing number of deer in this neighborhood. They are on my lawn as I write. Our proximity to St. Mary's cemetery is the reason that I once counted 19 deer parading through my yard. The results have been terrible: my neighbor suffered debilitating Lyme disease due to a deer tick. While on my neighborhood walk, I witnessed a car hit a deer. Deer droppings can transmit diseases through vegetable gardens. Deer destroy farmers' crops and over-browse forests. I can tolerate a deer eating our flowers but when public health and safety are jeopardized, action is required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom