Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Cow-Appreciation-Day-Chick-fil-A.jpg

Welcome to Cow Appreciation Day!

For the 13th year, Chick-fil-A will hold its Cow Appreciation Day event at its more than 2,100 stores nationwide. From opening until 7 p.m. Tuesday, adult customers who dress in cow attire – from “head-to-hoof,” according to the restaurant’s website – will be given a free Chick-fil-A entree, such as the Egg White Grill, Smokehouse BBQ Bacon sandwich, Original Sandwich and more. Children clad in their best moo costume will receive a free kids meal.

SU News

Syracuse basketball's 2018 recruiting targets as NCAA live period begins (PS; Waters)

The NCAA's open evaluation period begins on Wednesday, July 12. It's during this time that college basketball coaches fan out across the country to see and be seen as the nation's top recruits participate in AAU events.

The Syracuse coaches will enter the July period with a good bit of momentum after securing their first commitment for the 2018 class just last week. Darius Bazley, a 6-9 forward from Cincinnati, Ohio, committed to Syracuse a week ago after taking an unofficial visit to the SU campus. Bazley is rated the No. 32 player in the 2018 class by ESPN.com.

Syracuse will continue to recruit Bazley, spending as much time at his games as if he had never committed. That's what coaches have to do.

But aside from Bazley, the Syracuse coaches will hit the road with more specific targets already in mind. In addition, there are other players that will be on the coaches' watch-list to see how much improvement they've made since they were last seen. Some of the players on the Syracuse coaches' radar have already been offered scholarships; some have not to this point.

There are likely more players that the Syracuse coaches will be looking at, but they're not known yet as the SU coaches try to keep their interest unknown to other schools.

Here is a look at some of Syracuse's top prospects in the 2018 class.

Jalen Carey: 6-2 guard, Montclair, N.J.

23057970-mmmain.jpg

NBA Summer League: Chris McCullough achieves double-double (PS; Ditota)

Chris McCullough scored 10 and hauled in 11 rebounds, but his Washington Wizards fell to the Miami Heat 91-87 in NBA Summer League action Monday in Las Vegas.

McCullough, a starter at forward, played 27 minutes. He was 5-for-12 overall and did not connect on any of his four 3-point attempts.

He did execute a dunk that floated through Twitter:

Chris McCullough gets a second chance to throw it down! [?] @WashWizards lead Miami 20-16 at the end of 1Q on NBA TV! #NBASummer pic.twitter.com/KOXkSJNcOY

-- NBA TV (@NBATV) July 10, 201

Whatever he did on the basketball court, of course, was secondary to these shoes:

#NBAKicks from Chris McCullough. #NBASummerpic.twitter.com/J0CY6Y6yS1

-- NBA (@NBA) July 10, 2017

Tyler Lydon scored three points (1-of-3 from the 3-point line), in Denver's 82-81 loss to Toronto. Lydon played 29 minutes, had three rebounds, two assists, two steals and two blocks.

image2.jpg

Syracuse offers Tyus Battle’s little brother Khalif – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Dickinson)

Monday, Syracuse basketball extended a scholarship offer to a name Orange fans are already familiar with, as first reported by Pat Lawless.

Khalif Battle, a class of 2019 guard playing for Team Final (PA), has picked up offers from Syracuse and Washington.

— Pat Lawless (@PatLawless_) July 10, 2017

Khalif is the younger brother of Syracuse wing Tyus Battle and a member of the 2019 recruiting class. 247Sports has him listed as the No. 139 player in his class, which puts him at an even 100 spots lower than where the recruiting site had Tyus (of course, those rankings change over time). Khalif is a bit smaller than his brother. Tyus is 6-6, while Khalif is just 6-3. Khalif has obviously already been in contact with Syracuse coaches for a while, and Gary Battle (the boys’ father) told Syracuse.com’s Donna Ditota he already knew the Orange was going to offer Khalif. Gary expressed his “proud dad” vibes on his Twitter account.

Tyler Lydon on adjusting to Denver Nuggets, Syracuse career, Boeheim staying - The Juice Online (the juice; pod cast; Dagostino)

Former Syracuse star Tyler Lydon is playing in the 2017 Las Vegas Pro Summer League after he was taken with the 24th pick by the Denver Nuggets. We caught up with Lydon to talk about adjusting to the pace of the NBA, Mike Hopkins leaving for Washington, and his favorite memory Syracuse.

Matt Dagostino: Tyler, tell us about the last couple of weeks you had with the NBA Draft.

Tyler Lydon: The draft was obviously incredible. It’s something you dream of as a kid just to hear your name be called. But I chose a different route. I chose to stay at home and be with my family and friends watching from there. Just really enjoyed it with them, trying to give back to them too and enjoy that process. It was a lot of fun. Obviously blessed to be drafted. It’s a great fit and I just have to keep working.

MD: How has it been for you this week in the Vegas summer league?

TL: I’m still trying to adjust a little bit. It’s faster than college, so it’s going take a little while, obviously. You can’t just expect to go in and do great things right away. You hope to, but like I said, I just have to adjust and keep working. As far as what Denver does, it fits perfectly with who I am as a player and as a person. All that stuff.

MD: What’s the biggest difference between college and the pros?

TL: Definitely the pace and the physicality of the game. More just understanding the game at a different level. Everyone’s a lot faster, smarter, more athletic, all that stuff. So just playing like that too.

MD: What is the thing that you need to work on most this summer?

TL: The biggest thing for me is to get in the weight room and add weight. Just feeling comfortable playing at this level and working on my game.

Other

-ebc6351a31fd62e1.JPG

SummerCuse Day 46: Foreigner and Cheap Trick rock the Amp (PS; photo gallery; Pucci)

Taste of Syracuse 2016: Cheap Trick takes the stage
Rick Nielsen (left) and Robin Zander perform Saturday at Taste of Syracuse. Photo by Warren Linhart.

Look at Buddy Boeheim's wrist and finger follow-through, and you will see why he is a great shooter. The still that starts the video says it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom