Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-tape-measure-day-14-july.jpg

Welcome to National Tape Measure Day!

Alvin J. Fellows of New Haven, Connecticut made the lives of carpenters, electricians, seamstresses and countless other tradesmen and craftsmen easier when his patent for “Improvements in Tape Measures” was granted. His patent was dated July 14, 1868. Enter the generation of retractable tape measures.

The first recorded use of the tape measure goes back to the Romans, utilizing marked strips of leather. Before Fellow’s patent, Englishman James Chesterman designed a steel measuring tape, but it was expensive for its time. At $17 in 1853, it was equivalent to $300 in today’s U.S. dollars. It was also big and bulky and not likely to fit in a pocket or toolbox. Fellow’s patent was an improvement on Chesterman’s design.

The tape measure that we know and use now comes in a wide array of sizes, colors and materials. You can find some smaller than the palm of your hand or bigger in lengths of 300+ feet. They are used for anything from DIY projects at home, by contractors and in construction and at a much lower price. They are a staple in almost every household!

SU News

23070789-mmmain.jpg

Marek Dolezaj prepares to play for Slovakia's national team then Syracuse (PS; Waters)

Most of Syracuse's 2017 recruits have already arrived on campus.

Oshae Brissett, Bourama Sidibe and Howard Washington are taking summer school classes and working out with Syracuse's assistants plus strength coach Ryan Cabiles.

But there's one noticeable absence.

Marek Dolezaj, a 6-foot-9 forward from Slovakia, remains at home where he's preparing to play for his country's national team in the FIBA Under-20 European Championships before coming to Syracuse in late August.

In a telephone interview from his home in Bratislava, Slovakia, Dolezaj said his practices with the Under-20 national team have helped him prepare for his arrival in Syracuse.

"The practices are good,'' Dolezaj, 19, said. "I know the guys and we practice very hard. Everything is good.''

Dolezaj said the team would travel to Oradea, Romania, the site of the European Championships, on Thursday. Slovakia's first game in pool play is on Saturday against Azerbaijan. The other teams in Slovakia's group are Great Britain, Russia and the Netherlands.

Last summer, Dolezaj played for Slovakia in the 2016 FIBA Under-18 European Championships. He averaged 13.4 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.5 assists in eight games.

hqdefault.jpg

Syracuse Basketball: Darius Bazley’s Commitment Boosts Momentum (ithl.com; Adler)

Coveted 2018 prospect Darius Bazley has chosen Syracuse basketball, which should jump-start our recruiting efforts. At least, we hope.

Syracuse faithful, you can step away from the ledge.

I’ve seen a lot of moaning and groaning lately from some SU fans as it pertains to our basketball squad. Apprehension. Negativity. Nervousness. Whining.

A golden era of Orange hoops from 2009 to 2014 resulted in a Final Four, an Elite Eight, No. 1 rankings, and No. 1 seeds in the Big Dance.

That, frustratingly, has given way to three stanzas of sub-par records, missing out on March Madness twice and exiting the NIT early on this past go-round. (Although, we did go on a magical run to the 2016 Final Four.)

Still, head coach Jim Boeheim and his program got slapped with NCAA sanctions that clearly have hurt recruiting endeavors. In the spring, long-time assistant Mike Hopkins headed to Washington.

While we nabbed four promising freshmen for the 2017-18 campaign, along with transfers Elijah Hughes and Geno Thorpe, a bevy of top-flight targets painstakingly spurned Syracuse in recent months for a variety of powerhouse schools.

Syracuse's Tyler Lydon hits down note in NBA summer league play (PS; Waters)

Tyler Lydon, the Denver Nuggets' first-round pick in this past June's NBA draft, struggled in an 85-74 loss to the Brooklyn Nets in the NBA's summer league in Las Vegas on Thursday.

Lydon, the former Syracuse University forward, took just one shot in 12 minutes of action during Thursday's game. The shot was a 3-pointer that Lydon missed.

The game marked a low note for Lydon, who has not been shooting the ball well during the Las Vegas summer league.

In five games for the Nuggets in Las Vegas, Lydon is 4-for-20 from the field. He's averaging 2.4 points per game.

Denver (1-4) will play again on Friday as the Las Vegas Summer League enters its playoff rounds.

ACC Network still on schedule for 2019 launch (greenvilleonline.com; Robinson)

Atlantic Coast Conference football fans can set their DVRs with confidence. The ACC Network is still on pace for its scheduled launch.

Viewers simply must extend that cable contract for another two years.

ACC commissioner John Swofford announced plans for the network this time last year at the ACC Kickoff media event. Then, he revealed the goal to launch on the opening date of the 2019 football season.

During his annual ACC Kickoff forum Thursday in Charlotte, Swofford asserted that the league office, its 15 member schools and its partners at ESPN are industriously utilizing the meantime to fortify the network infrastructure. Each campus must be outfitted with sufficient equipment and personnel.

Clemson University will spend approximately $5.5 million to equip its video department for linear broadcasts, according to assistant athletic director for communications Joe Galbraith.

The acquisition of equipment will account for approximately 82 percent of that expense. Clemson will spend approximately $900,000 on the construction and renovation of campus broadcast facilities, and $100,000 will be dedicated to hiring, reassigning and training staff members.

Construction will force Clemson to shut down one of its two control rooms through the early portion of the fall season. Galbraith said the snag may inhibit some fall sports broadcasts, but the department has shuffled the schedule as much as possible to avoid overlap.

"We may take a step back at first in functionality but not in quality," Galbraith said, touting the forethought of Clemson director of video and technology Rick Bagby and director of external affairs Tim Match.

Other

-b01954201e8a4773.jpg

Lady Antebellum turned this stubborn skeptic into a country music fan (review) (PS; Tulloch)

As Lady Antebellum's new horn section blared swampy wails into the night, I realized everything I thought I knew about country music was wrong.

This wasn't sudden. This understanding dawned over several country-rock shows in the last year, culminating with Thursday's performance by the Nashville-based crew at the Lakeview Amphitheater.

It's hard to admit, too, so I'll save my change of heart for the end.

Country music has evolved so much in the last decade, but Lady Antebellum has kept up, encompassing elements of classic rock, funk and blues into their 1.5-hour set. They lived up to the hype from previous appearances in Syracuse, having headlined the New York State Fair grandstand in 2011 and Chevy Court in 2010.

The original trio's chemistry endured over 10 years. They fluidly weave around each other onstage, usually with Hillary Scott and Charles Kelley leaning in into match their clear, resonant voices, while Dave Haywood happily claws his guitar and banjo nearby.

Since their NYS Fair shows, all three have become young parents. They still sing about that "double shot of Crown," but the bandmates' new material reflects lots of personal growth.

Nice short article and interview with Dolezaj. He will be arriving August 28th so he's taking a short break after the U20 nationals before coming over. Seems he was impressed that we put that many fannies in the Dome.

Pretty sure he was 11. Just look for the tall really skinny fair haired guy.
I like what I saw. Obviously very raw skill set, but a smooth athlete with a nice handle, good passing skills, & his Bball IQ seems on point. He made some nice head fakes and look away passes that hit his man in stride- too bad they weren't converted. Will be a good player for us, but I seriously doubt he's a OAD or anything like that. JMHO.

I like what I saw. Obviously very raw skill set, but a smooth athlete with a nice handle, good passing skills, & his Bball IQ seems on point. He made some nice head fakes and look away passes that hit his man in stride- too bad they weren't converted. Will be a good player for us, but I seriously doubt he's a OAD or anything like that. JMHO.

Check out my review of the game in his thread. Pretty much in line with what you posted.