Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Mandela_day_banner.jpg

Welcome to Nelson Mandela International Day!

Every year on 18 July — the day Nelson Mandela was born — the UN asks individuals around the world to mark Nelson Mandela International Day (18 July) by making a difference in their communities. Everyone has the ability and the responsibility to change the world for the better, and Mandela Day is an occasion for everyone to take action and inspire change.

For 67 years Nelson Mandela devoted his life to the service of humanity — as a human rights lawyer, a prisoner of conscience, an international peacemaker and the first democratically elected president of a free South Africa.

The Nelson Mandela Foundation is dedicating this year's Mandela Day to Action Against Poverty, honouring Nelson Mandela's leadership and devotion to fighting poverty and promoting social justice for all.

SU News

maxresdefault.jpg

Syracuse Basketball: Khalif Battle Hints At His Preferred College Choice (itlh.com; Edsen Jr)

Syracuse basketball target, Khalif Battle is a hot commodity. He may have just indicated where he’s headed at the collegiate level.

Welcome to CSI Syracuse, Paul A. Esden Jr is on the case. The Syracuse basketball program has been doing wonders over the years as it pertains to getting players to the next level.

Quick shameless promotion, my guy Neil Adler recapped the past couple of years beautifully, you can check that out here: Syracuse Basketball: Success At NBA Draft Is Pretty Well Documented.

But I digress. Tyus Battle has been a profound success here in his first year with the Orange. From buzzer beaters to step backs, safe to say I like what I see.

But lets be real, he’s probably gone like the wind next year. When the NBA comes calling your name with millions of dollars and fame in their hands, it’s hard to pass up. I don’t blame the kid if he leaves.

But I wouldn’t mind if he left a parting gift to the Syracuse hoops squad. Which brings us to his little albeit talented brother Khalif Battle.

ICYMI, Khalif Battle hit an off-balance game winner to send his team to the finals.

Call him BIG SHOT BATTLE! @khalifbattle24 with the game winner! pic.twitter.com/f5j4aGdQ3T

— TEAM FINAL HOOPS (@TeamFinalHoops) July 15, 2017

Maybe it’s in the Battle blood lines? Regardless this is keeping his shooting star on the rise. Although he’s still deciding the next steps of his high school career, he may be peeking at the collegiate level.

chin031616St.John%C3%A2sCambridgeR&L_spt6.jpg

Is Dimon Carrigan the next piece in SU’s 2018 recruiting class? – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Dickinson)

Saturday, Syracuse basketball extended an offer to 2018 big man Dimon Carrigan, per Pat Lawless on Twitter.

Dimon Carrigan, a class of 2018 Big Man playing for BABC (MA), has picked up offers from Texas, Clemson and Syracuse.

— Pat Lawless (@PatLawless_) July 15, 2017

Carrigan is a 6-9, four-star recruit from Lynn, Mass., who plays at Woodstock Academy in Connecticut and the BABC in Massachusetts. Syracuse already has a 6-9, 2018 commit in Darius Bazley, but he is viewed as more of a wing player while Carrigan is known for his work inside. Carrigan also has offers from ACC schools Miami, Georgia Tech and Clemson as well as Texas, Wichita State, Mike Hopkins’ Washington and a number of other programs.

Carrigan is a force on both offense and defense. He can score from anywhere close to the basket and make his own points out of nothing. Teammates often just throw him the ball, back to the basket, and let him go to work. On defense, he’s always a threat to get a block. In front of you, helping from the weak side, or even from behind if a driving guard has him beat, Carrigan is long enough to get a hand on any shot. He’d be perfect to play in the middle of SU’s 2-3 zone.

Carrigan still has a lot of time to make a decision, but if he does choose Orange it couuld be huge for SU basketball. When was the last time the Orange had a legitimate scoring option inside? Rakeem Christmas? He was great in his senior season, but could really only work from within five feet and didn’t create many points for himself. He was a defensive-minded player who was forced into an offensive role. Tyler Lydon played inside, but he was always considered a stretch four who, again, was forced to step into the middle of the 2-3. C.J. Fair? Pretty much the same story.

Now, there’s no guarantee Carrigan wouldn’t be another one of those players. He’s 6-9, and only listed at 215 pounds on 247Sports.com. If Jim Boeheim wanted him to be a force in the middle on offense, he’d need to pick up some weight. There’s just as good of a possibility, though, that Boeheim would want him to keep the versatility to move faster on defense. Either way, there’s no way to tell if he would be able to compete with the best rebounders in the ACC without putting him out there. It takes more than just size and athleticism to get boards in the best conference in the country. You need to know what you’re doing down there, and Carrigan has never played against that level of competition.

Dimon Carrigan is the typical Syracuse basketball target. He’s long for his size and has the promise to be a star. But if he comes to the Carrier Dome, he could be the first true inside scorer the Orange has had in a long time.

Other

23089873-mmmain.jpg

Sheryl Crow took Uber to Destiny USA before Syracuse concert, gave driver tickets (PS; Herbert)

Sheryl Crow enjoyed her time off stage just as much as on stage in Upstate New York this past weekend.

The 55-year-old singer-songwriter took an Uber to Destiny USA in Syracuse on Sunday before performing at the Lakeview Amphitheater. Her Uber driver, Sally Griffith, tells syracuse.com that she drives an extra large van for the ride-sharing service and took Crow, her two sons and an assistant to enjoy WonderWorks at the mall.

"She was so kind and just... wonderful," Griffith said.

Crow offered Griffith two free tickets to Sunday night's concert as part of the Outlaw Music Festival Tour with Willie Nelson, My Morning Jacket and Margo Price. Crow is promoting her ninth studio album, "Be Myself," released in April; the title track features a reference to Uber.

"Hanging with the hipsters is a lot of hard work
How many selfies can you take before you look like a jerk?
I took an Uber to a juice bar to hear a new indie band play
They got 99 million followers in only one day."

Uber and fellow ride-sharing service Lyft were made available in Upstate New York for the first time just three weeks ago. Customers have praised the apps' convenience and prices, while drivers are also enjoying the service.

"Uber is the only way I got to meet Sheryl Crow," Griffith told syracuse.com.

Battle also tweeted to a ucon connection while wearing ucon gear. If he knows he isn,t saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom