Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Drive-Thru Day!

The drive-thru is the iconic measure of convenience. People have enjoyed this service since the 1930s.

Did you know:

• There are more than 211,000 fast food restaurants in the United States.
  • The drive-thru format was pioneered in the United States for banking services.
  • Hamburgers sold for just 18 cents at some of the first drive-thru restaurants.
  • Restaurants, coffee shops, liquor stores, pharmacies and many more services utilize drive-thrus for quick service.
HOW TO OBSERVE

Enjoy National Drive-Thru Day in all the drive-thru’s that you utilize! Post on social media using #NationalDriveThruDay to encourage others to join in.

HISTORY

America’s first drive-thru burger chain, Jack in the Box, created National Drive-Thru Day to celebrate America’s love of convenience by vehicle.

SU News

23118734-mmmain.jpg

Syracuse center Paschal Chukwu returns to court after 3 eye surgeries (PS; Waters)

On Dec. 17, as the Syracuse basketball team hosted former Big East rival Georgetown at the Carrier Dome, Paschal Chukwu was preparing to undergo surgery.

Chukwu, the 7-foot-2 center, had suffered a torn retina in his right eye when the basketball had struck him in the face on a pass from a teammate during a game against Holy Cross a month earlier.

As he laid stretched out on a hospital gurney, Chukwu kept asking the doctors for an update on the Syracuse-Georgetown game.

"Their response was 'That should be the least of your worries','' Chukwu recalled. "That made me nervous. I won't lie. I was nervous.''

Seven months and three surgeries later, Chukwu's right eye is completely healed. His vision is only slightly worse than it was prior to the injury and the resulting surgeries, but it is correctable with either glasses or contact lenses.

Even better, Chukwu has been cleared to play basketball again. He returned to the court in May, testing his abilities and a new pair of goggles in pickup games with his Syracuse teammates before returning to his host family's home in Connecticut. Chukwu is back on the SU campus again, taking summer school classes and working out at the Carmelo K. Anthony Basketball Center.

boeheim.png

What Buddy Boeheim’s Gonzaga offer means for Syracuse Basketball | isportsweb (isaportsweb.com; Carpenter)

Jim Boeheim’s son ,Buddy Boeheim, recently announced on twitter that he received a scholarship offer from Gonzaga University. Up until playing in the recent Peach Jam, Boeheim had only received offers from lower end D1 schools, and it seemed likely that Buddy would end up at a smaller program like his brother Jim, who plays at Cornell.

There has been speculation about Jim Boeheim potentially coaching his sons for years now, but both sons have spoke out on how they want to get on the floor for the schools. Many people have speculated that Buddy would end up at Syracuse, but would just be a walk on due to his last name, until last week.

The scholarship offer from Gonzaga is a big deal for Syracuse fans. This is a big deal because it solidifies Boeheim as a big time division 1 recruit. Buddy has been quoted as saying “We’re going to try and win it all together and end his career with a national championship… I’m not going anywhere else. I just want to wait and get the AAU season over with before I make the decision… I think I probably have to tell him to make it official.” Not only will it be cool to finally watch the legendary coach get the pleasure of coaching his son, but if Buddy is able to play for the Orange, he can add a long, body on defense, and an elite three point shooting threat offensively.

The most important thing about Buddy potentially playing for the Orange is that he can walk on, and not count against the scholarship numbers. If Syracuse is unable to fill out the available scholarships, expect Buddy to be put on scholarship because he is good enough to be on scholarship at Syracuse.

Other

23120298-mmmain.jpg

Flash flood watch could affect morning commute for some Central New Yorkers (PS; O'Toole)

Some areas of Central New Yorkers may have heavy rain and possible flooding, according to the National Weather Service.

The weather service issued a flash flood watch from 8 p.m. Sunday until 8 a.m. Monday for Central New York and northeast Pennsylvania.

Isolated severe thunderstorms and flash flooding are possible throughout the region, including in Cayuga, Cortland, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga and Seneca counties, according to a National Weather Service hazardous weather outlook.

In Oswego, Jefferson and Lewis counties, the weather service warns of gusting wind and hail possible Sunday night, then heavy rainfall that could lead to flash flooding Monday.

In Seneca County, Sheriff W. Timothy Luce issued a "no unnecessary travel advisory" for the village of Interlaken and the town of Covert due to flash flooding.

"Numerous roadways are flooded and may be impassible," the sheriff said in a news release.

The Seneca County Sheriff's Department is working with local highway departments to mark and close flooded roads.

"When you encounter a flooded roadway, turn around, don't drown," the Seneca County sheriff's news release said. "A mere 6 inches of fast-moving flood water can knock over an adult. It takes just 12 inches of rushing water to carry away a small car, while 2 feet of rushing water can carry away most vehicles. It is never safe to drive or walk into flood waters."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom