Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
IPADAY.JPG

Welcome to National IPA Day!

Get ready to raise a glass and celebrate India Pale Ale Beer Day. This annual occasion aims to increase appreciation of one of the world’s most popular types of craft beer, using social media to spread the word.

IPA beers date back to the late 18th century, when these ales were brewed for British sailors making long sea voyages to India. Most beers didn’t keep well on board ship, but London brewer George Hodgson was one of the first to develop a pale ale with a high hop content, which kept its taste better.

The special day isn’t sponsored by a particular beer brand, but brings together breweries large and small, along with an assortment of beer buffs and bloggers. Hundreds of events are organised, including India pale ale tastings and festivals, so look out for a celebration at a bar near you. Cheers!

SU News

wcpo_darius_bazley_princeton_1499799874880_62606922_ver1.0_640_480.png

Princeton basketball standout Darius Bazley reflects on Syracuse, his summer and recruiting process (wcpo.com; Dyer)

As he sat in Jim Boeheim’s office, Darius Bazley didn’t think twice about his college destination.

The Princeton High School basketball standout was on an unofficial campus visit to Syracuse June 30 and had no doubt about the Atlantic Coast Conference program being the right fit.

After walking into the Carrier Dome (34,616 basketball capacity), Bazley was in awe of its enormity.

“I was like, ‘oh my goodness,’" Bazley said. “I don’t believe it sells out; it’s too big. I tried to envision as many (people) as I could.”

Boeheim, the longtime Syracuse coach, didn’t need to make a sales pitch to the Orange’s first commitment in the 2018 class. He envisioned the long, athletic forward on his squad.

“He had the same vision as I did,” Bazley said. “Go there, develop, get better -- not only as a basketball player but as a better person. Then hopefully pursue my dream of going to the NBA.”

Bazley, a 6-foot-9 wing, reminded Boeheim of Derrick Coleman. That was cool with Bazley -- even if he wasn’t entirely familiar with the former longtime NBA player given the wide age gap.

ayS16vmG_400x400-1.jpg

Syracuse Basketball Game Changer: 2018 Power Forward Narrows List – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Edelstein)

The Syracuse Basketball jigsaw puzzle is beginning to take shape as pieces to the Orange 2018 recruiting class fall into place. And soon, one recruit might bring the whole picture into focus.

Four-star power forward Dimon Carrigan has narrowed his school list down to eight options. Among them, Syracuse is still in the race.

My top 8 pic.twitter.com/4kWrdTG4wi

— Dimon Carrigan (@CarriganDimon) August 1, 2017

While there is no set date for the 6-foot-9-inch, 215-pound player to announce his final decision, it is easy to see the Lynn, Massachusetts native playing a big role in Central New York.

His ability to rebound and get to the rim can strengthen the Orange offensive core. At the same time, his ability to nab a ball on defense can swing momentum SU’s way.

His height allows him to dunk with ease, and tip-offs are rarely out of reach.

Carrigan is metaphorically and literally built for the job. His big-man stature won’t let anyone mess with him down in front. He’s also a shot-blocker utility, racking up steals along the way.

Along with Syracuse, Carrigan is still considering Miami, Wichita State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Houston, Texas, and Connecticut.

89da971a-d0a3-4b09-a239-696e38046eaf-large16x9_miner1.png

Syracuse mayor urges Basketball Hall of Fame to induct inventor of shot clock (cnycentral.com)

Syracuse's mayor is urging the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame to induct the Syracusan who invented the shot clock.

Mayor Stephanie Miner sent a letter to the Hall of Fame, located in Springfield, Mass., expressing her support for Leo Ferris.

"Leo was a lifelong Upstate New York resident who made great contributions to the history of sports, including helping to create the 24-second shot clock, a vital tool in modern basketball," part of Miner's letter reads. A replica of the shot clock can be found in Syracuse's Armory Square.

In her letter, the mayor also points out Ferris' role in assembling the Syracuse Nationals basketball team, which won the 1955 NBA championship before become the Philadelphia 76ers in 1963.